Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A new Kindle (as the old one decided to stop charging), an IP Security camera (as there have been too many break-ins and general mischief in the neighborhood), and an Air Fryer.

The IP Security camera has been fun, maybe I"ll finally figure out which neighbors dog is pooping in my yard without cleaning up.

The Air Fryer did a good job making fries and breaded shrimp, next going to try to make some fried chicken.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2017, 07:47 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Snow shoes from the doggies. Earrings and a pin; book about goats, goat milk soap; nice donation to two of my “ causes” lots of fancy candy
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #23
gone traveling

Nothing.
I am fine with that.
We will be enjoying life in 2018.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

New socks & underwear.

Hey, it's what I really wanted!
BrianB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:52 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Santa does his own shopping in my house, so a new espresso machine and a Bose bluetooth speaker magically showed up under my tree
Old 12-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

A box of chocolates, some scented bath fizzies, and a gift card to a restaurant that we both really like.

Plus, yesterday I ordered a pretty watch, socks, and a few other things from Amazon. The way I see it, there's no law against helping out Santa and he's been working pretty hard lately.

Still loving my new "2017 iPad" that I got on Black Friday for a song, thanks to forum members that alerted me to how low the price would be on Black Friday. This model is just perfect for my needs.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:22 PM   #27

Microwave popcorn popper, Starbucks coffee and cups, and some holiday dish towels and pot holders.

But I got my first smartphone during the November Black Friday sale.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #28

I gave way more then I received ( two pairs of shorts and a pair of Khaki's), but it's all good. The look on my 2 year old's face was worth a lot more! Tonight, he informed me that he does not have a big screen TV in his bedroom and was fine when I told him to put it on his list for next year.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:24 AM   #29

I got an iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil - very excited about learning to use it. Originally wanted the iPad and didn’t think the Pro was worth it but the Pencil changed my mind. Got the 256G model with cellular capability.

Also got lots of kitchen items I wanted, some cool new athletic socks I asked for, my favorite lotion, awesome beer coozies, and some nice chocolate.

DH & I bought ourselves a Nespresso machine - we love it! Plus some espresso and cappuccino cups and a storage holder for the pods.

We gave a lot this year too. Unlike many others here, I love gifting. I enjoy coming up with creative ideas, wrapping packages, and surprising people with thoughtful gifts. And I love having gifts to open. I enjoy giving and receiving a combination of requested items from a list, plus some creative ideas that weren’t on the list.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:40 AM   #30

The new computer that I am sending this from (well, I guess I did that).
Old 12-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #31

InstaPot and two Amazon Echo devices for music and an intercom.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #32

I gave myself a 2018 Camry XLE.
latexman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #33

An electric blanket. And an interesting mystery novel by the norwegian Jørgen Jæger. Varm wool socks (yay!) and a pyjamas.
Christine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:01 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We stopped exchanging gifts with everyone but our kids 10 years ago. WE take all the kids out to an expensive restaurant sometime during Dec. My oldest son and his wife are facing huge medical bills in the new year due to a surgery that is urgent so we told all the kids no gifts for anyone. The surgery is out of town in an expensive city so will be expensive for everyone to go.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

A pressure washer surface cleaner to use on my drive and sidewalk/patio (https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9584_200659584). I borrowed a less expensive version of this tool (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homelite...1023/203105727) from a neighbor this past summer and was thoroughly impressed with how much better it was vs. me just spraying/cleaning with the standard wand/nozzle. I'm a bit of a tool nut thus the reason for the stainless vs. plastic recommendation to my wife for the purchase. Got a few other things, but this is surely my favorite.
FireFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #36

A red Kitchen Aid stand mixer with pasta attachments. I have wanted one for a really long time!
caninelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A lovely candle, handmade candy, gift cards, a dinner made for us at home. Most of all, time with kids, grandkids, and extended family. A wonderful week of celebrations so far and our annual "end of year" celebration dinner out with kids/grands will be coming up this weekend.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
We stopped exchanging gifts with everyone but our kids 10 years ago. WE take all the kids out to an expensive restaurant sometime during Dec. My oldest son and his wife are facing huge medical bills in the new year due to a surgery that is urgent so we told all the kids no gifts for anyone. The surgery is out of town in an expensive city so will be expensive for everyone to go.

Hope the surgery goes well. The best gift will be restoration of health!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:12 AM   #39

For the first time ever my DH and I did not exchange gifts. It was different but fine. We got nice stuff from our kids, gift certificates, socks, nice chocolates, etc. My Mom still gets us money My brother hosted a very nice family gathering with all of my siblings and all of the next gen was able to be there. We got a great family photo.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:58 AM   #40

Five extra pounds.