Ok, have had it with the land line phone

We still have the land line, mainly because we also have DSL for our internet and I like having at least one means of communication that doesn't rely on 110v power (we keep one plain-ole phone for that purpose).

We did dump cable (satellite, actually); DW finally had had enough of the packages that contain a lot of crap we don't watch. We now do OTA for the network shows, we can see the antennas for all the major networks from the house, and Netflix/Hulu over the internet for anything else. It helps that neither of us watch sports.

Tailgate, I cut the cord about 12 years ago and never looked back. We started with vonage as the backup phone line than moved to lingo than magic jack. I finally settled on google voice as there is also a smartphone app avaliable for android phones and the service is free (with a broadband internet connection.) I have relatives in Canada so having free calling to Canada via Google Voice is a major plus. Will you be using a VOIP based service to replace your land line? Also be cautious of emergency calling with VOIP technology.

Ditched the land line in 2006 or so. Been pay-as-you-go cell-phone-only ever since and have never had a problem. Saved $400.0 a yr on a land line I almost never used. I turn my phone on first thing in the morning, twice during the day, and once about 9:00 pm to check for calls. (Unless I am expecting a call) IF I have any calls, I answer the ones I want at my leisure the next day.

In a power outage, can a cell phone be charged by your car's outlet easily?

Our GPS needs to have the car's electrical come to charge it. I don't have to start up the car the ignition. Never tried leaving it in that state for the time it would take to charge up a mobile device.

I'm just trying to think of ways to deal with extended power outages living in earthquake country. I think Midpack mentioned the car battery charging in another thread some time ago.

Last edited:
I ditched my cellphone a few years ago and have hung onto the landline as it's cheaper, and I don't really need to be in contact with people wherever I go. Its one less thing to have to stick in my pocket when I go out. Besides, I rather like being less connected. It's relaxing being able to go out and knowing that for an hour or two no-one can get hold of me. I look at the birds in the trees, meet lots of friendly local dogs and kitties, and talk to passers-by. Yes - I'm the slightly unhinged local retired guy. I like that!

PS - congrats on getting rid of your land-line, Tailgate - I guess :LOL:

I'm with you. I have never owned a cell phone and have no plans to ever do so, for the reasons you stated. A few times over the years, I have had to try to make a call with my ladyfriend's cell phone. I was not able to get it to work.

I was at my local bank dealing with a minor online banking issue and the rep asked me if I could receive a fax on my Smart phone. I told him I don't have a cell phone. He told me he has never met anyone who did not own a cell phone. I told him it is an unnecessary expense and I dont want to be found at times. I felt so good saying that LOL!

I like being an outlier.

In a power outage, can a cell phone be charged by your car's outlet easily?

Our GPS needs to have the car's electrical come to charge it. I don't have to start up the car the ignition. Never tried leaving it in that state for the time it would take to charge up a mobile device.

I'm just trying to think of ways to deal with extended power outages living in earthquake country. I think Midpack mentioned the car battery charging in another thread some time ago.

Yes, but you have to buy the adapter for your cell phone, and also you have enough gas to run the car.

I'm with Major Tom and scrabbler. I haven't had much urge to get a cell phone yet, although I realize that people drop their jaws when they hear that. One of the things that holds me back is that I am in a condo with, apparently, lousy cell phone reception--as my neighbors relate. So I still have a landline, with voice mail. It runs me about 34.00/mo nth. Since I have no cell phone costs, I haven't balked too much at the landline cost yet. However, I would like to switch to something like Ooma. Just haven't had the time or energy to investigate the options.

Yes, but you have to buy the adapter for your cell phone, and also you have enough gas to run the car.
Let's say I have an adapter, plug in the phone and turn on the car to start charging (but do not start up the engine, so no gas used). I'm thinking that as long as I don't leave the car electrical on more then a few hours to charge the phone there will be no problem.

I don't know how fast smartphone charging is but it seems that as long as the car battery is a healthy one, it will still be able to fire up the ignition after charging the phone. I'm just trying to imagine really doing it in an emergency where you want to have a good running car even more then a running phone.

Sorry, I know I'm beating this point to death but just looking for confirmation I've got it right. :)

UPDATE: It occurred to me I could try this myself with our Tracphone (brillant, I know :nonono:). Anyway, yes it works like a charm.

Last edited:
Even 6 years after divorce the debt collection calls for ex-wife came too often for me so I turned off the ringer and got rid of the answering machine for our land line.

After about a year, I turned the ringer on and it immediately rang. It was another debt collection call.

I turned the ringer back off and soon after dropped the land line. That was 8 years ago.

Let's say I have an adapter, plug in the phone and turn on the car to start charging (but do not start up the engine, so no gas used). I'm thinking that as long as I don't leave the car electrical on more then a few hours to charge the phone there will be no problem.

I don't know how fast smartphone charging is but it seems that as long as the car battery is a healthy one, it will still be able to fire up the ignition after charging the phone. I'm just trying to imagine really doing it in an emergency where you want to have a good running car even more then a running phone.

Sorry, I know I'm beating this point to death but just looking for confirmation I've got it right. :)

Lsbcal,

You have different options when it comes to recharging your phone battery. If your phone has a removable battery you may want to consider a second or third battery backup battery. There are also portable battery packs you can buy that will provide hours if not days of cell phone use. Using your car as a charging source would be my last choice in time of emergency.

Lsbcal,

You have different options when it comes to recharging your phone battery. If your phone has a removable battery you may want to consider a second or third battery backup battery. There are also portable battery packs you can buy that will provide hours if not days of cell phone use. Using your car as a charging source would be my last choice in time of emergency.
Thanks! Also tried it myself on a Tracphone (see update above).

The Nexus 5 I'm thinking of buying does not have a removable battery.

Lsbcal,

Yes, there are other power-charging options--such as products similar to a PowerFlask. (Although the recent reviews for this particular product have not been kind.)
350-773772-847__1.jpg

Last edited:
Landline costs less than $25/month. I think we've dropped every possible option on that.

We keep the landline because our alarm system dials out on it.

Lsbcal,

+1

What I want for that purpose (and other purposes), is this emergency solar hand crank AM/FM/weather digital radio, flashlight, and cell phone charger, with AC adapter. Sort of a "swiss army knife of radios" with all those functions. :D

Amazon.com - Ambient Weather WR-111-B-AC Emergency Solar Hand Crank Weather Alert Radio, Flashlight, Smart Phone Charger with AC Adaptor -

Attachments

• radio.jpg
    radio.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
If I didn't get such terrible cell phone reception in my house I would have dropped my land line years ago. I get it as part of a Verizon bundle, and the savings of dropping it would be less than $10/month. But the hourly robocalls I get are so annoying that I would gladly pay $10/month just to make it go away. I just can't survive on a single cell phone though.

Maybe others don't have this problem, but my home has three stories. If I didn't have land line phone extensions on every floor, I would have to carry my cell phone everywhere I go around the house or miss a bunch of calls. I just don't want to always have my cell phone on me every second of the day.

I found this partial solution to robocalls. You sign up for this free service and what happens is your phone rings not only at your house, but on the server for this site. It checks their database for phone numbers used by robocalls and if it is a robocall number, it hangs up for you. The bottom line is a robocall will ring once in your house and stop. Other numbers are not affected. If a robocall gets through, you can go to their website and register the number as a robocall and they'll check it out. It seems to work pretty well but only works if you use VOIP from a cable or fios service for your phone. Not for traditional landlines.
Stop robocalls with Nomorobo

I have had current landline since Sep '78. Switching things to cell. Will turn off LL in near future.

+1

What I want for that purpose (and other purposes), is this emergency solar hand crank AM/FM/weather digital radio, flashlight, and cell phone charger, with AC adapter. Sort of a "swiss army knife of radios" with all those functions. :D

Amazon.com - Ambient Weather WR-111-B-AC Emergency Solar Hand Crank Weather Alert Radio, Flashlight, Smart Phone Charger with AC Adaptor -

Sweet. I rely on my small Honda generator, have the rest of the stuff. I would buy one just to have a backup to my backup.
Thanks great idea.
MRG

Landline costs less than $25/month. I think we've dropped every possible option on that.

We keep the landline because our alarm system dials out on it.
I had an alarm system that converted the dial on the security system to an internet connection. Everything ran through the internet. It worked very good for several years. Sold the house in 2012.

I found this partial solution to robocalls. You sign up for this free service and what happens is your phone rings not only at your house, but on the server for this site. It checks their database for phone numbers used by robocalls and if it is a robocall number, it hangs up for you. The bottom line is a robocall will ring once in your house and stop. Other numbers are not affected. If a robocall gets through, you can go to their website and register the number as a robocall and they'll check it out. It seems to work pretty well but only works if you use VOIP from a cable or fios service for your phone. Not for traditional landlines.
Stop robocalls with Nomorobo

Thanks - I just enrolled and got set up and verified. So we will see.

One important note - oddly, when I entered my VOIP provider, the nomorobo site said they do not support this capability. But when I checked my provider's forums, someone said that as long as your provider supports simultaneous ring, it will work. But you need to choose one of the 'supported carriers', like AT&T U-Verse. Then the setup goes through (but they will give you set up instructions for U-Verse, just use the info from your provider to set up simul-ring).

-ERD50

Dumped my landline about two years ago. Just cell (net10 @ $16 mo) and magicJack ($30 yr).

+1

I have one of these (but a slightly older version) and it works great. I got it free (with a donation to a public radio station) and have used it several times during summer power outages.

Dumped the land line in 2006 once the whole family got cell phones. We had both the cell and a home phone for a few months but everyone almost instantly started calling the individual cell phones so we figured what's the point of having that extra line.

I still have a landline (LL) and bought a new LL speaker phone a month ago. I'm starting to get robo calls on my cell.

+1 for the ooma. I give out the ooma number when asked so my cell number is less vulnerable for robocalls. Only $4/mo. (only pay for taxes). A good back-up for cel and 911 calls. Ooma gives exact address for 911 calls, cell phones do not. Also good for intl. calls. We call canada often. 1 cent a min.

Back
Top Bottom