Join Early Retirement Today

Okay all - how did you spend your Thanksgiving?
Old 11-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Just curious about how you all spent your Thanksgiving. DW and I had a total of 13 people under our roof yesterday - a Taiwanian family of four, an Iranian family of four, a beautiful female graduate student from Congo, Africa, and a young American couple along with the two of us. We provided the American staples (the turkey, stuffing, potatoes, green bean cassarole, coffee, and apple pie) and they all brought food they enjoy from their own countries. It was a wonderful time and we had some really interesting conversation. Quite a Thanksgiving! How was yours?
Timeisprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ours was very quiet. Went for a walk and took a swim in the morning. Dinner at a friend's condo (9 of us in total). Watched the second half of the Bears/Lions game before dinner and the first half of the Cowboys/Redskins game after dinner. Then went home and called DD and DS (who were together at DD's in-laws) and my Mom and sisters.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Got together with half of my siblings and our families (the ones that were in town) at one siblings house. Ate, watched football, and played games in their game room.

Our other siblings were with other family/friends in 2 other faraway states, and a couple of our kids are working overseas, but we managed to have a Skype conference call across all of the locations, which was a lot of fun.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
Administrator

Lots of enjoyable noise and good spirits here. Two daughters with their families, including a toddler and two grade schoolers and DM. We were 4 generations strong.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Nice day with kids. Getting together next week with siblings and extended family for our annual "Thanksmas" Too difficult to get all of the nieces/nephews/grands together twice for the holidays, so we combine and have one big hullaballoo!
Old 11-23-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Eating and playing euchre. Of course, football in the background. Very low key, but the turkey was amazing.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #7

Totally forgot! I did however have porkchops and spinach/basil mashed potato's for lunch and took my SIL out for coffee and dessert at a cafe overlooking the Pacific!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeisprecious View Post
Just curious about how you all spent your Thanksgiving. DW and I had a total of 13 people under our roof yesterday - a Taiwanian family of four, an Iranian family of four, a beautiful female graduate student from Congo, Africa, and a young American couple along with the two of us. We provided the American staples (the turkey, stuffing, potatoes, green bean cassarole, coffee, and apple pie) and they all brought food they enjoy from their own countries. It was a wonderful time and we had some really interesting conversation. Quite a Thanksgiving! How was yours?
No one else was beautiful?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #9

After feeding everyone at the soup kitchen, the crew shared a nice traditional turkey lunch with all the sides. After that, I went home and finished smoking the beef ribs and we enjoyed a meal of ribs and Peking duck with traditional sides. After the evening meal, DS and I watched the Saints once again prove that they are not the "Aints." During commercials, we switched over to The Wizard of Oz.

A great day. When you get two Thanksgiving meals in one day, its even greater! As usual, so far the leftovers have been superb!

Oh, every one was beautiful, including our lovely customers at the SK.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:13 AM   #10

Our party is actually today at a friend's home. Yesterday I made a 7 lb turkey breast that will make quite a number of meals to come. It was excellent!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #11

We had Thanksgiving here at our house. Just DH and I, son #1, son #2 and his wife and their 2 week old baby.

Our daughter-in-law is from China and this is her first Thanksgiving so we did all the classic foods, nothing out of the ordinary. Of course, the baby was the center of attention! They watched some of the Macy's T-Day Parade. Yeah, try to explain that one to someone from Beijing!

I cook all year and I'm a fairly plain cook. So DH does the cooking on T-Day. He does a very good job but boy was there too much food and a lot of mess!

Usually we get together with my sister and BIL and nephew. Sister and BIL are on a luxury cruise (Oceania Riviera in a Penthouse suite) from Barcelona to Miami. They had 3 stops in Spain and then were supposed to have 2 stops in the Canary Islands but they couldn't do those due to weather conditions. She sent me an email telling me that because of the itinerary change they now had 8 days at sea while crossing the Atlantic. Yeah, she may be on a luxury cruise ship but I am home with my first grandchild!

I invited my nephew but he gets gigantic holiday pay so he decided to work.

Besides the BABY, the best part for me was the sweet potato casserole that son #2 made himself and the pies that son #1 bought.

The hardest part was keeping the dog away from the baby. The dog doesn't understand her own size and strength. I don't think she wants to eat the baby, she just wants to sniff him and check out his stuff. She has big scratchy pads on her paws and claws that could scratch him. We are extra cautious and over protective for now. I think when he is older and in a high chair and can give her cookies they will become best buds. For now, we are going to be super careful! The dog stole booties from his car seat and mom and dad said she could keep them. Hope that satisfies her a little bit.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #12

I had dinner at a relative’s house. There was “only” one member of the domestic staff present (black). All of the guests were white. These same relatives often visit another house they own that has a much larger domestic staff, where the same pattern persists: all-white guests, all-black domestic staff. This really isn’t my scene. Lately I’ve been working my way through the seasons of Downton Abbey so the upstairs/downstairs distinction has been much on my mind.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #13

We went to a huge family gathering at DW's nephew's house, total about 22-25 people. We brought the ham, they cooked the turkey and a couple of sides, the rest was brought by everyone else, so kind of a massive potluck dinner that was great. Sort of watched the Cowboys stomp the Redskins and then do the Teaberry Shuffle on their collective chests.

Two-hour drive each way but so worth it to see everyone.

Old 11-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #14

I liked teaberry gum. Thanks for the reminder. I wonder if it’s still available.

As for yesterday, just a small get together. DD and her family of three kids and SIL. Good company. The rest of the family was scattered the year. We have had the grand kids all day today so DD and SIL could go shopping. After spending all day with the kids, I think they just want to get a break.
Old 11-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #15

Just had ours today. I fed 20 family members the traditional turkey, dressing, etc. I'm exhausted.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #16

We had planned for son, DD, SIL, 2 grandkids and a family friend who always joins us. I get a text at 6:00 am that DD and SIL have been up all night with the flu and could we come and pickup the kids so they could get some rest.
Fun time cooking with a 4 and 2 year old to entertain, but we managed. Dinner was great and we packed up the kids and the leftovers and brought them home to DD's house so they could enjoy.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

DW and I were at home alone for Thanksgiving. Kids and grandkids all had other plans. I watched both football games. No cooking here this year and we had a turkey dinner from Luby's Restaurant take out nearby.

The quietness reminded me when I spent two alone Thanksgivings and Christmases overseas when I was in the military.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
DW and I were at home alone for Thanksgiving. Kids and grandkids all had other plans. I watched both football games. No cooking here this year and we had a turkey dinner from Luby's Restaurant take out nearby.

The quietness reminded me when I spent two alone Thanksgivings and Christmases overseas when I was in the military.
My alone military Thanksgiving dinners always included quite a feast at the chowhall. Always enjoyed with other grunt level friends.

DD and her hubby and a friend/adoped family member that lives up here had dinner up here in the Ranch House (think clubhouse). No one else was around. The kids brought up everything and we all piched in to make everything with the kids in charge. We probably had enough to feed at least 10. It was great!
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:38 AM   #19

We enjoyed dinner with our best friends. They made the turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce and green bean casserole. We brought sausage stuffing, potato casserole, salted caramel pecan pie, rolls, and wine. Fun afternoon/evening followed by coming home and watching recorded football games on the couch. WHO DAT!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:21 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

My nephew and his wife hosted, my brother and his wife, niece and her daughter, my boyfriend and I so 8 people for dinner and quiet conversation with 3 dogs and some cats. One cat demands to be petted and dogs are all lap dogs so my boyfriend had to pet as many as three at a time. I had a lap dog so the cat slept against my shoulder until he found someone available to pet him.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote