Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I wish I had a great suggestion for you, but the flashlight sounds like a good idea, something we'll have to try. We've had 4 Shelties, and 2 of them were deaf for the last few years of their lives - and it was never a problem for us. Shelties are very attentive and stay with their owners which makes it easier than some breeds, I don't know Dachshunds (Judy is adorable BTW).

Our current Sheltie is 14+ and she's been deaf for at least 2 years. Sometimes claps or stomps on the floor still work, and when they don't we just walk around her until we're in her line of sight (peripherally) and she (see avatar) always looks around at us. From there, she's gotten very good with hand signals. Fortunately she's not as fast as she used to be so she never gets that far away. The best years of all our dog's lives has been when they get older. Best of luck...
Shelties are wonderful dogs, I have seen some do amazing things when I used to do obedience work with my standard poodle. I think my weiner dog goes out of her way not to look at me. But she is still my baby.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK, two more ideas.

Since the dog responds to vibrations, what about a collar that could vibrate with a remote control? (Oh lordy, did I just step into it.... ) - but seriously, it would get her attention, and if you follow up with a treat or attention, I think she'd learn pretty quick that the vibration means to look for you. I guess it could be a collar with a flashing light too, if it was bright enough to catch her attention.

Second would be any sort of device that would make a big vibrating 'noise'. You said you are cement floors, so stomping just doesn't carry through, but I bet something would. A couple heavy wood blocks, or something? A sub-woofer hooked to a little sound effects device (could just be a $20 mp3 player with some low bass recordings)? Probably just need to experiment.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
OK, two more ideas.

Since the dog responds to vibrations, what about a collar that could vibrate with a remote control? (Oh lordy, did I just step into it.... ) - but seriously, it would get her attention, and if you follow up with a treat or attention, I think she'd learn pretty quick that the vibration means to look for you. I guess it could be a collar with a flashing light too, if it was bright enough to catch her attention.

Second would be any sort of device that would make a big vibrating 'noise'. You said you are cement floors, so stomping just doesn't carry through, but I bet something would. A couple heavy wood blocks, or something? A sub-woofer hooked to a little sound effects device (could just be a $20 mp3 player with some low bass recordings)? Probably just need to experiment.

-ERD50
Clever!

Now only if I was handy.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Clever!

Now only if I was handy.
I think you may be able to find these devices with remote control on the open market. You may need to look into a market place ummmm, other than pet supplies though... Whether that sort of vibrating device would be powerful enough to get a dogs attention, is something I have absolutely no idea about. And if anyone does comment, might as well kiss this thread bye-bye as to helping your dog. But I'm sure it be good for some laughs.

But a little duct tape is about all it would take to get one attached to the collar. They may even come with be designed with a velcro fastener, but I have no idea, really, I don't!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I am not shopping for a remote control vibrator. I just can't. But it is a perfect idea.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've read purebred wieners are prone to health problems.

I think they're the coolest thing to see the way they have that proud little trot to keep up with everyone else.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Back problems are common in long backed breeds like wiener dogs.

Many dog breeds have issues. Evolution is a rough instrument even when directed by man. Or even especially when directed by man.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not shopping for a remote control vibrator. I just can't. But it is a perfect idea.
I bet there are a couple of forum members who could mail you an extra one of theirs. But you may not want it.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I bet there are a couple of forum members who could mail you an extra one of theirs.
Must be one heck of a range on that remote control...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

My daughter adopted a deaf dog from the humane society. She has used a vibrating collar with much success. She gets nasty looks from people because they assume it's a shock collar. Her dog does not respond to foot stomping type vibrations.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
She is on an anti-inflammatory for the severe arthritis and it works well.
Martha, what type of anti-inflammatory is it? Does it contain aspirin? High doses of aspirin are associated with deafness.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I bet there are a couple of forum members who could mail you an extra one of theirs. But you may not want it.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Martha, what type of anti-inflammatory is it? Does it contain aspirin? High doses of aspirin are associated with deafness.
Firocoxib. It's an NSAID.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer08 View Post
My daughter adopted a deaf dog from the humane society. She has used a vibrating collar with much success. She gets nasty looks from people because they assume it's a shock collar. Her dog does not respond to foot stomping type vibrations.
Googling about, I see that you can buy such collars for dogs. I'll give it some thought. It makes a lot of sense. Here is an article on their use: DDEAF, Training With A Vibrating Collar

Old 12-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

I thought I would give a six month update on old deaf judy. She is doing well. I considered getting the vibrating collar but never got around to it. Instead, I worked on having her pay more attention to me and watch me closely. She now is responding well to hand signals for come, back off, lay down, sit, stay, spin around, and sneeze. If she is outside and taking too long to come in at night I can flip the light switch and she will come to the door. She is old and sleeps on the couch quite a bit. I gently bang the couch cushion to get her attention if I need to. This will get her up and looking at me. She also goes to bed in the bedroom before me. I gently kick her bed to wake her up for her last pee. One night she did not respond to the kick. I poked and prodded at her and she still didn't wake up. I even wondered if she had died or had a stroke. But she was breathing and with some more prodding she finally woke up. She certainly sleeps very hard these days.

Barking is something of a problem. She will bark when people come to the door (actually, when I go to the door since she can't hear people knock) and will not pay attention to efforts to get her to quit. I pick her up to stop her. This is kind of pesky and I need to work on it. Since it is in my control, my approach to the door, I should be able to fix it. It is interesting how much she uses her voice, even more than she used to. In the morning she still harumphs until I get out of bed if I am not up by 7:00am. She also has been getting lots of treats as part of teaching her to pay attention. This has had an unwanted effect of begging (again by harumphing) and running through trick routines. But that is more amusing than anything else.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. My deaf Border Collie Jane has also gotten worse with the barking and the hard sleeping. On the upside, she doesn't get so afraid of thunder as she used to. Her mom, my Grace dog, has mobility problems that require her to be carried up and down the stairs most days, is senile, and soils herself overnight periodically. Give me the deaf dog any day.

I'm glad Judy is comfortable, though, and you are accommodating her disability so patiently. I wish I could explain that light switch trick to Jane rather than my usual go out in the 4 acre yard to look for her routine.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to hear that the old girl is still doing well...feared the update might not be positive. Best of luck to both of you!
Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Glad to hear that the old girl is still doing well...feared the update might not be positive. Best of luck to both of you!
My first thought too. Glad things seem to be going OK outside of the barking.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I wish I could explain that light switch trick to Jane rather than my usual go out in the 4 acre yard to look for her routine.
Go out with the dog in the dark and keep her close, leash if need be. Have someone click on the light. Immediate treat. Have someone turn off the light. Immediate treat. Do that for a couple of weeks. (my dog is a slow learner). Eventually she came from distant parts of the yard when the switch was turned off and on. Now I only intermittently reinforce the behavior.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Ah, that makes sense. Martha.
I'll round up a leash and collar for her and give it a try. She's breathtakingly stupid, has been from the day she was born. Part of the curse of hearing a million times, "oh, you have border collies, those really smart dogs, right?"
At least you can carry the wiener dogs around more easily than my big girls. I am starting to recognized the benefits of purse dogs.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote