Join Early Retirement Today

Old Economy Steve
Old 05-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Old Economy Steve

Anyone catch wind of this "Old Economy Steve" internet meme that went viral?

The Atlantic calls it the "The Official Meme of Embittered Millenials" Old Economy Steve: The Official Meme for Embittered Millennials - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

To this I say, "can't we all get along?" Every generation has some issue with the previous. Although my parents live in great prosperity compared to their parents, and they got great pensions, they also went through hell. The great depression as kids, poverty, etc. Not to mention WWII.

To the Millennials, I'd also say be grateful you don't have forced conscription to the battle front. You don't know polio. AIDs is a chronic disease for you, not something you fear getting after a simple operation, etc.

There are some good memes if you follow the links the article. One of them simply says "Retired". I laughed at that one. Turns out the guy in the picture is not retired. They found him, and NY Mag has his story: Meet the Real-Life

He seems pretty good-natured. Says some of the memes even describe his life.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

It's definitely not a bitter meme. I like making memes and things like that, and they're much more silly and good spirited than bitter, I'd say. We like those memes in the same way past generations like to go on about the next generation's music, clothes, art, relationships, and work ethic.

Everyone thinks the world was best when they were at their most vulnerable, hormonal, and emotional periods in their lives. Like putting a kid today in a room with a kid from the 80's and having them argue about which Karate Kid movie was best :P

I like Steve too XD I hope he does capitalize on it! That's what some of our local infamous kid memes' families were doing to set up college funds off of the silliness.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

As one born in the 80's, I had to suffer through many things. Slow dial up internet. Netscape. Life before google. Big clunky expensive cell phones.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
As one born in the 80's, I had to suffer through many things. Slow dial up internet. Netscape. Life before google. Big clunky expensive cell phones.
Good point! Hey kids, let's watch you spread your meme over 1200 baud. Ha ha ha. (Hell, 300 if it is 1981)
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Warmin' up to this one...

Will comment after checking out the links...

Hint... "before plastic"
Old 06-01-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I like the real Steve. Great attitude.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Good point! Hey kids, let's watch you spread your meme over 1200 baud. Ha ha ha. (Hell, 300 if it is 1981)
Or 110 baud if it is a teletype with an acoustic coupler!

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

A video of an early teletype. For all the speed demons.