Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old Guys Day at the Barbershop
Old 01-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Old Guys Day at the Barbershop

Just got my hair cut. I thought I was clever, waiting for a weekday after 9 AM.

I guess it was the first day the shop was open after the holiday week, so there was a line. I guess I timed that wrong! Plus...

I was the youngest guy in the place. Some were truly ancient.

Not sure if that's a good thing, or a bad thing. But I realized that's the crowd I run with now, in my ER.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #2

Yup! We started going out to lunch now that we can, and look around and say "dang, look at all these old people".

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:40 AM   #3

Same thing happens to us if we go out to eat too early. We tend to be the youngest in the restaurant if we're there before 5:00. And, it usually pretty full around that time. Our best situation is a Mexican restaurant at around 2:30. They service their lunch menu until 3:00 so we get there at 2:30 and eat at lunch prices and there's practically no one there at that time. Usually, that's enough to take us through the night but we might grab something light later that evening.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since retiring I go to the barbershop on a Wednesday morning away from holiday days. That avoids the "must get a haircut first thing for the week" and "must get a haircut before the weekend" crowds. I have never had to wait.

We definitely do notice the older crowds during a midweek lunch, particularly since DW likes places that offer senior discounts. I think she does it to show off, since she is sometimes mistaken for being much younger than her age and likes to get "carded".
Old 01-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #5

The barber I go to is older than me and only works part time. Mon. - Tues., takes Wed. off, then Thur. - Fri. And he only works until noon on those days. On the plus side, he only charges $8.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #6

My barber shop serves me free Jack Daniels, so I really do not mind if there is a wait. I go more for a shave (1x/week) than a haircut (1x/month)!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

My barber shop has changed a lot. I started going there in the early 1960's. The patrons back then were always guys who were older than me. Now the patrons are mostly women. And some of the women are still older than me. But I seldom see any guys older than me in there anymore.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:17 PM   #8

Having my last haircut with my barber tomorrow. He's retiring!
Gonna miss him, gives a great haircut and uses a vacuum to get all the loose hairs off.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:21 PM   #9

Funny how barber shops are something we rarely think or talk about. It is a unique cultural thing.

In this particular shop, there isn't usually any chatter between customers. Each waits quietly in a chair until their turn. Then the barber makes idle chit-chat with that one person, carefully avoiding politics, religion or any other controversial issue. We can all hear what's being said, but won't speak until it's our turn. Very odd.

I've heard in other places it can get more spirited, and have more sense of community.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Funny how barber shops are something we rarely think or talk about. It is a unique cultural thing.

In this particular shop, there isn't usually any chatter between customers. Each waits quietly in a chair until their turn. Then the barber makes idle chit-chat with that one person, carefully avoiding politics, religion or any other controversial issue. We can all hear what's being said, but won't speak until it's our turn. Very odd...

Floyd's Barbershop is a thing of the past along with the $1.75 haircut.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I just started going to the barbershop in our new retirement town.
I was hesitant. As a woman, I thought I'd be out of place in this traditional looking place, complete with barber pole out front and "kiddie car" seat for children to sit in.

It was wonderful wonderful.
Midday, no appointment needed, no wait.
Two VERY old men and two middle aged women cutting that day.
I did choose one of the women, perhaps I could get a relationship going that could go another decade or two?

Anyway, great cut, just right amount of chit-chat, and fine $14 tab.
I'm really way too cheap to pay the $45-$75 price in the "salons" in town!
momoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:18 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I always enjoyed the social part of getting a haircut. Living in a small rural western community it was fun to see and visit with people you know one way or the other.

For the last 15 years I just use the clippers and do my own. I use a 3/4 inch attachment on clipper and done in just a few minuets. Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:38 AM   #13

I haven't been in a barber shop since I don't know when! DW cuts my hair. But when she does, there is some old guy sitting in the chair. It is a good thing there isn't a mirror, otherwise I would see who that old guy is.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:33 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I tell people my barber is my psychologist, he happens to cut hair too. Been going to him for 35 years. He retired a couple years ago, but still does a once a week gig. There are people waiting for him at 7:15 AM!

Might go to self trimming with clippers when he finally retires for good.
PoorOldCountryBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:42 AM   #15

I used to go to a barbershop that had an assisted living complex less than a block away. My barber used to do "early bird" specials for those guys before the official hours of the shop opened. Given the demographics that the ratio of women to men at the assisted facility was pretty high, these guys wanted to look their best!
big-papa is offline   Reply With Quote