Old postcards

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I happened on a bunch of old postcards that are fascinating to me. They seem to represent the correspondence to and from one Norwegian man in Brooklyn and his friend who traveled around the USA, and also his friends back home in Norway. They span mainly the period 1908-1912 and have some really marvelous vintage photos of various parts of the country.

Enjoyable to peruse, even without understanding the messages (although some are in English), but I wonder if anyone knows of any collectors who might like to have these.

Maybe contact the Norwegian embassy/consulate?

There is a Swedish-American museum in Chicago, they sometimes display things like that. You might find a Norwegian museum near you?

Related, I really don't care for much 'modern art', or 'performance art', but there was this weird display of postcards at the Art Institute a few years back. It was just the back of the picture postcards and photos with messages on the back. It was oddly fascinating, as you read the message, and then just imagined what the people in the picture were doing. Not sure I consider it art, but it was kind of quirky fun.

I think little bits of history like this are interesting. They provide a different insight from facts and figures, just little bits of daily life.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom