OMG.... they changed my OS without permission!!!

Happened to DW yesterday. I reverted to Windows 7 it less than 24 hours later... she hated it.

I can't believe they would force an OS update like that. Wow. Just shows how they don't respect their users data as OS updates are risky.

I'm switching back to Linux at earliest convenience. Microsoft really pulled out all the negative stops on this.

Other things you need to be aware of:

• You will be shown advertisements by default on the boot screen and on several other places. Yes, even if you paid for it.
  • Privacy settings are there, but by default you share everything. Some privacy settings cannot be disabled. Some data will go to Microsoft regardless, even if you block the connections (the OS bypasses them).
  • Updates happen when Microsoft wants them to happen. Best you can achieve is postponing for 1 or 2 days at a time.
  • Downloads of said updates will also happen automatically. Only way to stop that is by either not being connected to the internet or indicating you are on a metered connection for every connection you have.

In short: Microsoft is switching to an advertisement supported model where they own and control your device, including everything you do with it.

MS tricked me into this shortly after they changed Win 10 to a recommended update. I was working on my Win 7 desktop and the Upgrade now? Upgrade Later? window popped up. I planned to upgrade much later so I clicked that button assuming I would get the same screen back when "later" arrived. The next morning I booted to Win 10. I have been happy with the new OS but irritated that MS pushed it on me before I was ready.

This is a strange way to build share of heart among consumers. In the past MS has shown some disregard to the knowledge investment (in IE and Office) made by their user base by not ensuring complete backward compatibility and introducing upgrades with different GUI and structure. I thought they needed to increase their share in the consumer marketplace. Forced upgrades appears to me to be something along the lines of "the beatings will continue until morale improves!".

I don't know what, if anything, was special about yesterday but last evening I had calls from 4 friends whose systems were automatically updated. So far all were successful.

I don't know what, if anything, was special about yesterday but last evening I had calls from 4 friends whose systems were automatically updated. So far all were successful.

Oh, mine was successful, but it was not what I wanted...

It also changed some of my options on programs... I have only gone into Firefox and MS new explorer (whatever it is called).... and my menus have changed or gone away... trying to get them back to where I want... will have to check to see if other programs work...

I also asked not to enable Cortana, but it is down on the bottom taking up a good amount of real estate...

I did turn off am much info sharing as I could on the opening screens.... but MS being MS, it was not easy to find or change... there was a big button indicating to accept on the right and a really tiny text somewhere on the left for you to make your own selections.... sneaky way of getting most people to default to setting beneficial to MS....

AND, now when my computer comes out of sleep mode, I am NOT where I used to be.... there is some screen with (IIRC) a mountain... I have to click on that, then there is a screen for me to 'sign in' even though I never set up my computer to sign in....

In the end I will probably be OK with Win 10.... so far it seems like it is much better than 8 which I hated... and the look and feel is enough like 7 for me to be OK with it.... but time will tell when I actually start to do things in my programs...

I think all this MS buffoon buffoonery has convinced me to bite the bullet and give Linux a try.

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.

OMG.... just noticed that my ad block is no longer on Firefox... what was the one that was better than ad block:confused: I never wrote it down and do not remember the name!!!

Edit...

Just used the 'start' button for the first time... and NOW I see where the big difference is.... not a fan of this as it now does look like Win 8 to me...

Last edited:
The exact same thing happened to DW yesterday and she was convinced she had accidentally triggered it. We only just moved into our new place in England and got internet connected on Friday and with the English style keyboard having keys in slightly different places she thought she had started the upgrade.

The good news is that the upgrade has worked well and she is sticking with W10.

OMG.... just noticed that my ad block is no longer on Firefox... what was the one that was better than ad block:confused: I never wrote it down and do not remember the name!!!

That's weird! I have no trouble with Ad Block Pro running with MSIE under Windows 10.

Wonder why you are having a problem running it with Firefox?

That's weird! I have no trouble with Ad Block Pro running with MSIE under Windows 10.

Wonder why you are having a problem running it with Firefox?

I am not saying it does not work, but that it is no longer in Firefox...

When it updated and I went into Firefox it said that there was a problem and I needed to 'refresh'.... so I refresh... now, the two adblock add ons that I had are no longer inside Firefox... so ads are now popping up...

There was a discussion on a better ad blocker than adblock as it has a white list of sites where they allow ads.... I do not want any if possible... I will have to search if nobody lets me know the name...

Again, this is directly related to having the OS changed... more work for me...

Just "Let it be"... Win 10.

It takes very little time (maybe not) to learn to navigate the new OS; but once you've got the hang of it, you'll have a better appreciation for the new kid on the block.

The exact same thing happened to DW yesterday and she was convinced she had accidentally triggered it. We only just moved into our new place in England and got internet connected on Friday and with the English style keyboard having keys in slightly different places she thought she had started the upgrade.

The good news is that the upgrade has worked well and she is sticking with W10.

Same with F. He was SO UPSET when he first called to tell me about it. I would have been too, had that happened to me. It's a dirty trick for Microsoft to just take over one's computer with no permission or warning like that. But, anyway, after it was done and he found that the upgrade worked well, he was fine with it and decided to stick with W10, too.

His rationale is that it actually works quite nicely; and also, that Microsoft is going to force us to use it eventually anyway, by phasing out support for earlier Windows versions. So, he might as well get it now, while it is free. He was happy to discover that all of his (weird, specialized, sometimes homebrew) programs work just fine with W10.

I'm not having to go through what in my opinion is a totally unacceptable power grab by Microsoft, because W10 was pre-installed in the computer that I purchased last summer. So, nothing has changed for me.

One warning I gave to him, and will pass along to anyone else who cares (probably nobody): Left click on the "Windows" icon on the left side of your toolbar, and select "Settings". Now, go through EVERY SINGLE SETTING to make sure that they are what you want. Specifically, look for permissions for ads, and for sending information to Microsoft, and make sure that everything possible is as tightened down as you wish. Also think twice before activating Cortana, or establishing a Microsoft account because you may have some privacy issues there as well. In general, Windows 10 defaults completely disregard privacy concerns in the opinions of some users (like me).

Last edited:
There are two separate issues here for me:

1 - Does it work? That one is easy. It is being adopted rapidly (even without trickery) because it really is a good, stable release. I've had almost no problems with it on my laptop which was upgraded from Windows 8.1 (which I also didn't have problems with). So hate the trickery and pushy updates, but don't fear the experience afterwards. Most things will be fine. Having said that...

2 - Microsoft is doing a MAJOR shift in the way it does business. Think about it - when is the last time they ever put out an OS update that was free? I'm pretty sure the answer is NEVER. So why free now? The answer is - well, you're probably not gonna like it...

You will upgrade to Windows 10: Inside Microsoft's strong-arm upgrade tactics | PCWorld

Supposedly their initial target was 1 BILLION PC's running Windows 10 by summer of 2017. This is driving their aggressiveness.

I dual boot most of my machines.... if msft messes up, Linux still works

Just set this up today. Actually, this weekend. Getting the Windows partitions shrunk and/or merged was a major pain. Getting the UEFI to allow me to select an OS on boot was another one. Typing this now from Firefox on Ubuntu MATE :)

I am not saying it does not work, but that it is no longer in Firefox...

When it updated and I went into Firefox it said that there was a problem and I needed to 'refresh'.... so I refresh... now, the two adblock add ons that I had are no longer inside Firefox... so ads are now popping up...

There was a discussion on a better ad blocker than adblock as it has a white list of sites where they allow ads.... I do not want any if possible... I will have to search if nobody lets me know the name...

Again, this is directly related to having the OS changed... more work for me...

I think that might have been ublock.

I gather this happens only to people who have signed up for the free upgrade but delayed implementation. If I haven't reserved a free upgrade am I affected by this?

The manufacturers of both of my computers said they were not going to upgrade the drivers to be compatible with W10 so they advised not installing it. How can MS install (without permission) W10 when there is (may be?) a driver problem with some computers?

Just set this up today. Actually, this weekend. Getting the Windows partitions shrunk and/or merged was a major pain. Getting the UEFI to allow me to select an OS on boot was another one. Typing this now from Firefox on Ubuntu MATE :)

I will be doing this on my rarely used office desk top this evening after happy hour. I have very little on that computer, so I think I am not going to even bother doing a partition. If it works out OK, then I will do this on our "main" desktop (not used often, but it's used more than the office one and has a lot more stuff on it I will need to move around).

On my only machine running win7, yesterday evening went to MS website and initiated win10 upgrade. A few times I looked the process, it downloaded win 10, then the program spent maybe an hour updating the the downloads. This morning a screen was on with options to retain all settings or clean install, I selected retain all settings and file locations. After breakfest the upgrade was done. Initially the only change was requirement to login with username. Which I would have to do at normal bootup time. I had three logins on on win7, Admin, me, and a guest account for visitors.

After login with my previously set password, all my desktop looked the same with about thirty icons on it as win7, plus something called one drive, with a few new things added on the toolbar. Even my preveiously set denials of "call home" features were undisturbed. Firefox ans Thunderbird are working as before. Ublock was not disabled. A few incompatible programs were disabled but not deleted.

Went through the settings and got rid of some new games and drivel.

So far so good.

I have three other PCs runnning Linux. This was a sort of test before DW upgrdes her laptop since I am the hosehold help desk. Wanted to know of issues before her machine is upgraded in a few days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom