OMG.... they changed my OS without permission!!!

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
So, last night we went to the Dash game (pro women's soccer)....

I come home and come to my computer to look at some info I needed for this morning... and what do I find... Microsoft is changing my OS!!!! WTF..:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have been very clear that I did not want to upgrade yet.... always... and they go ahead and do it anyway....

I cannot believe that a company does these things and think they will have customer loyalty....

Man am I upset.....

This happened to F a couple of days ago, and like you, he was furious.

However, any time in the next 30 days that you want to revert to your previous operating system (assuming it was Windows 7 or 8.1), you can do so. Here are the instructions on how that is done.

Going back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 - Windows Help -

Apparently it is very easy to do. I sent the same link to F. He is going to take a few days before he decides, but he now says that he may keep Windows 10 because (much to his surprise) all of his software still works in Windows 10.

Maybe it will work out to be a good thing. I personally like Win 10.

My printer had troubles with scan after the Win 7 to Win 10 conversion. Bought a new HP printer for around $70 at Best Buy. It's way better then the old one.

In tech I've found that getting with the latest (after the bleeding edge phase) is the best approach.

Good luck.

Hey, between the gummint and corporations, they take care of everything for you. You will not need to make any choices. What's the problem?

Calm down, my friend. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride through life. :)

I'm still running Windows 7 on my day to day laptop. I've got a new one with Win10 on it, but I haven't migrated to it yet.

Since MS ended mainstream support of Win7 last year, all we are supposed to get from them are security updates. Are they defining migrating to Win10 as a security update to Win7? That would be difficult to justify.

I have my settings set to prompt me to do updates, and I pick the ones I want to run (which are usually all of them except the Win10 one). I also check my update settings every once in a while, since it's not unknown for MS to change that setting back to automatic, which then installs the updates on you.

As for Lsbcal's point,
In tech I've found that getting with the latest (after the bleeding edge phase) is the best approach
I tend to agree. However, MS OS's are the exception for me. I never install one until at least SP1, sometimes SP2. At work I had to do it sometimes, and we almost always paid for rushing to change. I must admit I haven't heard too many horror stories about Win10 (outside of privacy issues, which are important). I haven't avoided migrating to the new laptop because of Win10. I'm just lazy. I bought it because I had a ton of Dell points that were going to expire, and I could get this top of the line laptop practically for free. But my old workhorse is still functioning well, and if it ain't broke...

I plan on updating all of our machines that are eligible to Win 10.

But same as Harley, I delay as long as possible, and never care to jump on the bandwagon to be the first to get the "latest and greatest". Been snake-bit too many times.

Just a tiny seemingly inconsequential difference in hardware or software in your machine compared to your neighbor's, and you get a completely different outcome. What do they call such a system? Remember the theory of Chaos, where a butterfly wing beat causes a hurricane later on the other side of the world? These software guys have managed to "achieve" that.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory.

Last edited:
The security update that reminds you to install Windows 10 is KB3035583. If you can uninstall this update and then go back and hide this update it should stop the automatic message to install Windows 10.

Change your windows updates option to manual download instead of automatic download. Watch carefully when it is time to install new updates, they sneak KB3035583 back in sometimes.

Some applications and software are not compatible with Windows 10. Currently I am on Windows 7 and when I entered my laptop Service Tag Number into Dell Support website this is the message:

Product not tested for Windows 10 upgrade

Dell is not testing or developing Windows 10 drivers for this product. If you choose to upgrade, some features, applications, and connected devices may not work as expected.

Last edited:
I plan on doing a complete image backup of the PCs onto my Windows Home Server, before I do the Win 10 update. Hard drives are cheap now, so I can even restore an old Win 7 installation onto a new HD.

I do not even trust the Win 10 restore capability. Been snake-bit too often in the past, and the painful memory still lingers.

The free update period for Win 10 is supposed to end July 29.
I pan to delay the update past this point and keep using Win 7/8.1 as long as possible while preserving the option with this trick -

How to lock in your free Windows 10 upgrade and keep using your old Windows version | ZDNet

This will probably answer the various posts above....

I was wanting to wait until the end to update... I was going to update my DW's laptop and check Win 10 out for a bit...

In the end I probably was going to update, but on MY schedule.... not some corp who decides for me... that is my issue with then doing it...

OH, btw, it did show a 'scheduled update time' or something like that but I clicked to refuse it...

I plan on doing a complete image backup of the PCs onto my Windows Home Server, before I do the Win 10 update. Hard drives are cheap now, so I can even restore an old Win 7 installation onto a new HD.

I do not even trust the Win 10 restore capability. Been snake-bit too often in the past, and the painful memory still lingers.

That was the other thing that I wanted to do... make a copy (not full image) of the various files that I want to keep... I have read a few stories out there where the files were not available for some reason... do not remember if they were wiped... but still....

The other is I would have picked a more convenient time for it to be done... I did not have access to my computer when I wanted to use it....

The nice thing about using Windows Server for disk image backup is that individual files are easily perused and retrievable. I already have this set up, and been using it for years as a file server. Not everything MS does is bad. :)

Why, I even have two Win servers (in addition to two NAS servers). Toys, toys, toys...

Last edited:
I dual boot most of my machines.... if msft messes up, Linux still works

I was in the process of installing a Windoze update so I just cancelled it!

I will get the Win7 security updates later...

Window 7 update to Window 10, without permission

Just started happening to me and others. Laptop, suddenly starts updating
OS, to windows 10. (from windows 7). I never gave approval.

Googled this issue. Found others having the same problem, with bad consequences. Article said, Microsoft denies doing this.

I stopped the download, by turning off my computer. Also, went into Control
Panel, and stopped all Microsoft downloads. (think I stopped all future downloads). I realize this
is risky. But until Microsoft fixes the problem, I will wait and see.

Are others having the same problem?:greetings10:

Last edited:
Yep, only once so far. I stopped it. :mad:

Happened to me today. I am not happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm an Apple guy, but my standard policy is to always update everything, but only after the update has been out in the field for at least a week. I like getting the latest security gap plugs and bug fixes, and this method has saved me from a couple of buggy updates.

I also have daily backups of everything, so it's not a big deal to recover if something unexpected goes south.

I switched all of our machines from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a few months ago - no issues on any of them.

I almost had this happen to me. After reading this thread I went and booted my Win 7 machine that I do not want to upgrade. The Windows 10 popup had changed and instead of asking to select now or later to upgrade the box announced it would be updating to Win 10 on May 24th! I was able to go and change the update schedule and take if off automatic. This is pretty dirty of Microsoft. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom