Join Early Retirement Today

On Death and Dying
Old 07-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On Death and Dying

A poignant article written by Jack Thomas (of Boston Globe fame) articulating his thoughts after receiving news that he has inoperable and terminal cancer.

Thomas is 82 years old and has led a good life, but nonetheless he has to face death at a time in his life he would prefer not to...and this piece is worthy of a few minutes to read.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/07/...hat-i-want-say
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank you for sharing. It's a beautiful article.
oaklanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

wow, great writing, very articulate. His thoughts and feelings reach into my heart.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:45 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It would be better if he didn't put such political bias in it.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 10:56 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
While I don't necessarily agree with his political position(s), I don't think it took away too much from the article and I found it pretty easy to ignore that part.

Some people are REALLY into politics and even include party affiliation or favorite politicians in their obits. I personally couldn't imagine such a miserable existence (or legacy), but I can't find fault in those who are so strongly political any more than those that are ardent sports fans.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post

I don’t see how you can read this article and come away with this. It’s not political bias; it’s a reflection of his life as he so lovingly reflects on the relationship with his father.
Letj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Beautiful, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I need to keep this front of mind, to help guide me to focus on what is truly important:
"Filling wastebasket after wastebasket is a regrettable reminder that I have squandered much of my life on trivia."
gattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattara View Post
I need to keep this front of mind, to help guide me to focus on what is truly important:
"Filling wastebasket after wastebasket is a regrettable reminder that I have squandered much of my life on trivia."
That line was a gut punch for me. After reading it, I was able to spend a little longer outside this morning enjoying the wildlife and taking in all the beautiful sites around me in spite of the oppressive heat and humidity. A slight "reset" if you will.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
I don’t see how you can read this article and come away with this. It’s not political bias; it’s a reflection of his life as he so lovingly reflects on the relationship with his father.
+1. I couldn't have put it better myself. He stated his political orientation in a humble and slightly self-deprecating way. In reference to his father,

"The only thing we argued about was politics. He was an ardent Republican. I am a boring liberal."

The second part of the same paragraph is a marvelous example of dry humor, which I could just as equally imagine coming from Bill Bryson or Fran Lebowitz,

"When my son was born in 1994, the doctor held him by his ankles, upside down, as they do in movies, and announced that it was a boy. “I know that,” I said, nervously. “Is he a Democrat?”"

The article is poignant and beautiful. I hope the rest of his journey on earth is a full and rich experience, with a minimum of pain.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:41 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I've known two people in the past 10 years or so, that were given such a prognosis. Both were "seemingly healthy" beforehand and relatively young (late 50's to early 60's) when they got the "prognosis". I knew them both pretty well and both were told they had less than a year at the time of diagnosis.... One took all the medical treatments he could, the other refused to take or do anything. One had a deep faith, the other did not... Both lasted almost exactly 9 months and I think were able to function on their own until the last few weeks.

I kept in touch with them to the end (~weekly), and both seemed to deal with it pretty well... I hope when my time comes, if given such advanced notice, I can deal with it as well as they "seemingly" did.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
A poignant article written by Jack Thomas (of Boston Globe fame) articulating his thoughts after receiving news that he has inoperable and terminal cancer.

Thomas is 82 years old and has led a good life, but nonetheless he has to face death at a time in his life he would prefer not to...and this piece is worthy of a few minutes to read.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/07/...hat-i-want-say
Would like to read this but can't get past the paywall?
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:51 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Perhaps you hit the max number of "free articles" from The Globe? I didn't have any issues once I whitelisted it from my ad blocker.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Perhaps you hit the max number of "free articles" from The Globe? I didn't have any issues once I whitelisted it from my ad blocker.
No. It didn't say that and I hardly ever go on the Boston Globe site?
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnski1 View Post
Go to the first page (then hit refresh/reload) worked for me.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

'I hope when my time comes, if given such advanced notice, I can deal with it as well as they "seemingly" did.'

When you come right down to it, what other choice do we have? Scream and wail all day about how unfair it is, until the boom comes down?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
That line was a gut punch for me. After reading it, I was able to spend a little longer outside this morning enjoying the wildlife and taking in all the beautiful sites around me in spite of the oppressive heat and humidity. A slight "reset" if you will.
I don't know if you're familiar with the famous neurologist Oliver Sacks. He died at 82 in 2015 of melanoma in his eye. His essay in the NY Times is behind paywall (library gives me free access) but these paragraphs, the first in particular, have stuck with me:

"I feel a sudden clear focus and perspective. There is no time for anything inessential. I must focus on myself, my work and my friends. I shall no longer look at “NewsHour” every night. I shall no longer pay any attention to politics or arguments about global warming.

This is not indifference but detachment — I still care deeply about the Middle East, about global warming, about growing inequality, but these are no longer my business; they belong to the future. I rejoice when I meet gifted young people — even the one who biopsied and diagnosed my metastases. I feel the future is in good hands."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/o...al-cancer.html
gattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Nice essay.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:15 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know if you're familiar with the famous neurologist Oliver Sacks. He died at 82 in 2015 of melanoma in his eye. His essay in the NY Times is behind paywall (library gives me free access) but these paragraphs, the first in particular, have stuck with me:

"I feel a sudden clear focus and perspective. There is no time for anything inessential. I must focus on myself, my work and my friends. I shall no longer look at “NewsHour” every night. I shall no longer pay any attention to politics or arguments about global warming.

This is not indifference but detachment — I still care deeply about the Middle East, about global warming, about growing inequality, but these are no longer my business; they belong to the future. I rejoice when I meet gifted young people — even the one who biopsied and diagnosed my metastases. I feel the future is in good hands."

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/o...al-cancer.html
I will have to read that, it looks like a worthy one.

As my Dad's health deteriorated and he finally realized that his last dance was upon him, his priorities changed...very quickly. He no longer was concerned with what was on the Evening News...it didn't matter anymore. Today, I try to stay abreast with what is going on, but I also recognize there isn't much I can do to change things so obsessing over these things is a fruitless passion.

Edit: Thank you for sharing this article. One of the things on my "to do" list since moving to Fly Over Country was to get a library card. I had put it off and put it off...reason after reason. Well, today...I went online to see what it took to get a card and well...it took about 45 seconds. With that, I was able to read the article you shared and thank you for that. It was indeed a worthy read and I am quite joyed to finally have access to the library.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:23 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I've known two people in the past 10 years or so, that were given such a prognosis. Both were "seemingly healthy" beforehand and relatively young (late 50's to early 60's) when they got the "prognosis". I knew them both pretty well and both were told they had less than a year at the time of diagnosis.... One took all the medical treatments he could, the other refused to take or do anything. One had a deep faith, the other did not... Both lasted almost exactly 9 months and I think were able to function on their own until the last few weeks.

I kept in touch with them to the end (~weekly), and both seemed to deal with it pretty well... I hope when my time comes, if given such advanced notice, I can deal with it as well as they "seemingly" did.
Given your experience with that scenario.. if you were one of those two, which way would you have picked? Go with medical treatment? or on your own?

Just curious.
yhoomajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:00 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The line above struck a cord with me too. Having just moved our entire household 750 miles, I had similar feelings while throwing away tons of 26 years worth of accumulated paper and other junk, though obviously not the same sensations as facing death. There were so many things we thought 'why did we ever buy this, why would we ever use it again?' At least we don't buy so mindlessly or focus on "things" anymore.

Well written, thanks OP. Just reinforces again what most of us know but repeatedly lose sight of - figure out what's really important and meaningful to YOU, and focus as much as you can on those activities. Easier said than done, but a worthwhile reminder. Don't let the ever present nonsense in the world keep you from who and what makes your life and your loved ones lives gratifying.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote