Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

On Line Purchase - Reviews and/or Feedback
Old 07-25-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just curious, when you buy something on line, (e.g.from Amazon) do you:

(1) Review other customers on-line feedback/comments, before you buy, on either the product(s) you are buying or on the sellers service/support?

(2) After you buy, do you provided feedback on the products you bought "or" on your buying experience, "when asked"?

I often will read the on line customer reviews/experaince before buying on line but I'm often skeptical of who really made some of the posts/comments. (The seller or buyer) I sometimes wonder if they are all legit? Are the bad reviews deleted? Still I'll often skim them and consider if they seem credible or not before buying.

And I typically will respond with my experience with the product or service "when asked". Then I'll see my post on-line in a day or so... So I know some are legit... I guess I tend to trust the reviews I see on the "big guys" websites more so than the "little guys" websites... Not sure if that justified or not, but that's me...

How about you? Do you see any value in reading and/or providing on-line reviews?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Except for trivial purchases, I always look at the most negative reviews. If they are customers complaining about torn boxes and late deliveries that is a positive for the product. If the same product flaw is identified in several reviews I am likely to move on.

I rarely read the positive reviews. I will post if I bought a product that has problems. I will also post a positive review if there are few product reviews, but not if there are hundreds.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I use Fakespot to check the validity of Amazon reviews. I read the most helpful reviews, and some of the bad reviews to get a feel for the reviews. Sometimes the bad reviews are because the product arrived late or for some other reason that has nothing to do with the product.

I do give some reviews, whether asked or not.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Except for trivial purchases, I always look at the most negative reviews. If they are customers complaining about torn boxes and late deliveries that is a positive for the product. If the same product flaw is identified in several reviews I am likely to move on.

I rarely read the positive reviews. I will post if I bought a product that has problems. I will also post a positive review if there are few product reviews, but not if there are hundreds.
Same here.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
(1) Review other customers on-line feedback/comments, before you buy, on either the product(s) you are buying or on the sellers service/support?

(2) After you buy, do you provided feedback on the products you bought "or" on your buying experience, "when asked"?
Yes to both, but 1 more than 2.

I also like to sort reviews to Most Recent, as I think this gets good filtering vs someone's most popular comment from 3 years ago. And I look for themes vs. outliers.

I'd like to leave reviews more often, but sometimes don't, unless I'm really really pleased with a purchase. If I'm not, I'm out for a return anyway, which I figure is enough for a seller to have to deal with. And if I'm getting my money back, then I don't need to also slam them with a bad review.

I am never inclined to add a review when asked - if anything it turns me off from leaving one.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I use Fakespot to check the validity of Amazon reviews. I read the most helpful reviews, and some of the bad reviews to get a feel for the reviews. Sometimes the bad reviews are because the product arrived late or for some other reason that has nothing to do with the product.

+1 for Fakespot. Fake reviews are big business now. Also, CamelCamelCamel to check out price history of a product
qwerty3656 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #7

I've seen articles saying that a large percentage of online reviews are fake - either written by the company to help themselves look good or written by the competition to make them look bad.

As a former teacher I had hundreds of opportunities to read anonymous reviews about me or my classes. Since I had first-hand knowledge of the facts I was able to know that many of those reviews were not factual.

As a result of these experiences I rarely look at online reviews, and take those few I look at with a huge dose of skepticism.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #8

I mostly read the negative reviews looking for trends. I recently posted a negative review for a pair of L.L. Bean shoes on which the eyelet/loop for the lace broke soon after buying. I subsequently noticed that several other people experienced the same problem. So there’s a trend developing there and those reviews should be helpful for a prospective purchaser.

Mine is the June 5 review:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1252...2&csp=a&pos=17
Old 07-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
If the reviews are on a company website, I consider them all fake or they only post the good reviews.

On Amazon, DW tells me to read the (-) reviews as nobody pays for a (-) review but will pay for a 5 star review.
I also trust Amazon reviews if there are thousands of reviews more than a product with 65 reviews.

I do sometimes add a review when asked. Especially if I'm extra happy or negative about it.
I've also answered the questions some folks ask (which are sent to me via the website), mostly as I know I had similar questions when I was going to buy the product.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I read other customers' Amazon reviews, because I sometimes find out interesting details about the item that I didn't know or hadn't thought about. I think it helps me to read them, as long as I maintain a reasonably skeptical eye.

Also I review about half the items I buy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

I didn't know about Fakespot, I'll check it out... Thanks...

What prompted me to open this topic was, yesterday I got an email request from Amazon to review their "service" in general... I probably buy something off Amazon at least once a month, if not more often, so the request seemed reasonable. Anyway, they said it would take about 15 minutes to complete the questionnaire. (that's a big time request, IMO) Anyway, I decided to play along.... The first question they asked was if I were "male or female"? Okay, so I answered male. The second question was, what age group I was in? Okay, I selected my age group (over 70)....

That was the end of the questionnaire... Took about 15 secs. I guess they didn't want to hear from "older males"...
Old 07-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I also search the reviews for things I either see complaints about, or that are important to me. For example, if I'm looking at battery powered weed eaters, I search for "battery life" and see what people say about it.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I read online reviews but I take them with a grain of salt, I know some may be planted. The reviews can often point to features I might not otherwise think of, nice to know. I'm more likely to rely on third party reviews I find myself from sources I know, plus any personal references or experiences I have.

There was a scandal in Chicago years ago with a magazine that put it to readers to pick the best restaurant - and the magazine unwittingly (then) published the results they got without questioning what happened. No idea who organized it, but it was obvious someone put together a voting scam that put a good but not great restaurant on top (Harry Carey's).

As for posting reviews, I only do so if it's a significant item or service, and it's extremely good or bad. I don't bother with trivial purchases, or if it's just as expected with no more or less.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:32 PM   #14

I'll occasionally write reviews, mostly if a product is exceptionally good or bad, or has some other unusual characteristic.

And doing that got me invited to do reviews of free products at Home Depot after I wrote and posted a glowing review (with photos) of an airless paint sprayer outfit that I was particularly impressed with. They really do want honest reviews because if they spend time/money stocking junky products that doesn't do them any good.

I don't get the really good stuff like new drill presses or anything, but mostly minor stuff like utility knives or such. Must be my demographic, being a 70+ male, I'm not in the trades and wouldn't use it very often.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:04 PM   #15
Administrator

Another Fakespot user here, it’s very helpful. I’m cautious with online reviews for Amazon, TripAdvisor and Yelp. I often read through them but don’t buy based on them.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #16

I generally write a review only about the item and never about the shipping etc but I recently had to make an exception for shower door I bought on HomeDepot.com

After I made the purchase and was waiting for delivery, did I realize that the item I bought was actually a kit configured by Home Depot.
The kit : (1) shower door , (2) shower track, (3) shower door handle.

Even though the kit was 3 boxes, Home Depot provided tracking number for just the shower door.
And that tracking number was completely useless.
To this day, my order shows that it was shipped but not delivered!
All 3 boxes was shipped via truck and then delivered the "last mile" by USPack to my home.

I tried in my review to warn others that they should just buy just the shower door online. The shower track and the shower door handle are stocked in Home Depot stores.
I only learned this from talking to the Delta people.

retire-early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:20 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I ignore 5 star reviews completely, because I have a friend who does fake reviews on Amazon, and in order for him to get paid, he must rate the products 5 stars. So I look at the 4 star reviews (many of which give four stars but have valid criticisms), and I look at the 1-3 star reviews for any sort of consistency about product issues. If a product only has a small number of 5 star reviews, I won't buy it.
Kerfuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:23 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Like others, the reviews can be helpful if you add a heavy dose of skeptic (comes natural to me! ).

A big problem I have with Amazon reviews is, they often have several related products on the same page (click a box to chose the variation), but the reviews are lumped together. And sometimes they are different models with big differences ( like portable/battery power vs AC plug in), not just colors or a bundle with an accessory. That makes the reviews near meaningless.

I rarely submit a review, but I have where I can add something that's not just repetition. Lately, I'm asked to review so many things - everything from Home Depot. "You recently bought Everbilt #10 x 1 in. Phillips Pan Head Zinc Plated Sheet Metal Screw (100-Pack). Tell us about it!" You recently bought 0.4 cu. ft. Washed Play Sand. Tell us about it!"

Really? It was gritty, and heavy. Sorry, not worthy of an "!".

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfuffle View Post
I ignore 5 star reviews completely, because I have a friend who does fake reviews on Amazon, and in order for him to get paid, he must rate the products 5 stars. So I look at the 4 star reviews (many of which give four stars but have valid criticisms), and I look at the 1-3 star reviews for any sort of consistency about product issues. If a product only has a small number of 5 star reviews, I won't buy it.
How is your friend able to get away with this?

Doesn't Amazon require a "Verified Purchase"?
retire-early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I didn't know about Fakespot, I'll check it out... Thanks...

What prompted me to open this topic was, yesterday I got an email request from Amazon to review their "service" in general... I probably buy something off Amazon at least once a month, if not more often, so the request seemed reasonable. Anyway, they said it would take about 15 minutes to complete the questionnaire. (that's a big time request, IMO) Anyway, I decided to play along.... The first question they asked was if I were "male or female"? Okay, so I answered male. The second question was, what age group I was in? Okay, I selected my age group (over 70)....

That was the end of the questionnaire... Took about 15 secs. I guess they didn't want to hear from "older males"...

I also got asked to do that survey. 66 yr old female so I must be their targeted demographic because I was able to do the whole thing.

The questions were focusing on how much I relied on reviews to decide if the product would meet my needs. Questions about the usefulness of “verified purchases” reviews. Also, some other features on the product site such as “shoppers also bought…” or “similar items”. Did I take into account “Amazon’s Choice” or something like that. More questions about features I never noticed.

Overall it did take about 15 minutes and they say I’ll get a $5 Amazon gift card. We’ll see!