Join Early Retirement Today

On the annuity front
Old 10-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

On the annuity front

Allianz SE invested $2.5 billion in The Hartford:

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/hartford-announces-25-billion-investment/story.aspx?guid={214F5C31-E194-41E4-A9AD-F70434E946C6}&dist=hppr

It's a financial investment, but I wonder if there will be a push towards a merger down the road (just speculation, but there's significant overlap between Hartford and Allianz Life and Fireman's Fund [Allianz SE's respective annuity and P&C businesses in the US]).

Aviva (parent company to Aviva USA, the top EIA seller in 2008) just took a 30% hit to their capital surplus:

Market crash rocks insurance giant Aviva - Times Online

From that same article, AIG is exiting the UK life insurance market.

Combined with the deals going on in the financial institution space, something tells me that we'll most likely look back on this period as a time of great power and wealth consolidation at the top.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
Aviva (parent company to Aviva USA, the top EIA seller in 2008) just took a 30% hit to their capital surplus:

Market crash rocks insurance giant Aviva - Times Online
So what did they get wrong? Did they not hedge the EIA equity market exposure, or did they have a lot of their assets invested in equities (like the last time around with UK insurers)?

I tell you, the names change, but the same stupid moves get made by these guys in every up/down market cycle.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Allianz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Yes, that'd be why they withdrew their bid for naming rights to that stadium.... apparently we don't like our American sports teams to play in placed named after pro-Nazi companies.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

IIRC, in part of the never ending Annuity wars discussion, there was a reference to an academic paper, where professor showed that the insurance companies were significantly underpricing EIA with a guarantee minimum return typically in the 3%+ range

Given the insurance companies latest disasters with investment, the drop of safe investment rates to just barely over the 3% range, and the market tanking etc, I wonder how the insurance companies will be able to pay the claims?
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Yes, that'd be why they withdrew their bid for naming rights to that stadium.... apparently we don't like our American sports teams to play in placed named after pro-Nazi companies.

That's reaching a little bit don't you think?

Please name for me a couple large German companies who operated from 1930 - 1945 without contributing anything to, or doing anything for the existing government?
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It was enough of a reach for the jets and giants to reject Allianz's bid to buy their new stadium naming rights.

I think the issue at hand is how aggressively Allianz helped the nazi regime and how complicit their company officers were. They regularly toured the death camps (which they insured) and assured that life insurance policies paid for by people killed in the concentration camps were paid to the nazi's and not to the victims families.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9 View Post
That's reaching a little bit don't you think?

Please name for me a couple large German companies who operated from 1930 - 1945 without contributing anything to, or doing anything for the existing government?
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that they're pro-Nazi now.

But, as a counterpoint, can you name other companies with leadership that was as closely aligned as, say, Kurt Schmitt, chairman of the board for Allianz until 1933 and on the supervisory board until 1945?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that they're pro-Nazi now.

But, as a counterpoint, can you name other companies with leadership that was as closely aligned as, say, Kurt Schmitt, chairman of the board for Allianz until 1933 and on the supervisory board until 1945?
Under normal circumstances I might do some research in an attempt to make my point. However, considering what they did to my people I don't want to expend any energy doing so.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote