Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

On the Spot About Pot
Old 04-03-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On the Spot About Pot

So, I was getting my daily news fix on "CBS This Morning" where there was the regular segment by the pollster who gets the feel out of regular folks. Today was about how attitudes are changing about legalization of pot.

But even more was during the segment where he bluntly asks the 3 anchors if they ever smoked pot. Holy moly. One anchor took the fifth, one said yes, and one said no.

Here's the segment in cases you interested (the on the spot part comes at around 3:20 of the video):

Marijuana legalization: Majority supports move in new poll - Videos - CBS News
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Should have been a minute later.:confused:
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Should have been a minute later.:confused:
Around the 3:20 mark is when he asks the anchors if they every smoked pot.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

Fail. Shouldn't that be 420?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Hokey Smoke!! Must be a bunch of tree hugging, whale saving, granola munching, carbon limiting, lefties from Colorado.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Sorry no dispute, Calmloki got it.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Hokey Smoke!! Must be a bunch of tree hugging, whale saving, granola munching, carbon limiting, lefties from Colorado.
I'll be headed to the "high" mountains of Colorado in a few days.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

FWIW, on a recent outing two of the participants were young women who were celebrating their recent marriage. Everybody gave them hearty congratulations. The world is changing.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have several buddies who are long time pot consumers (and these are geezers my age!) They seem to have zero appreciation for the legalization aspect since they've been regular consumers anyway. They grow their own which they say is a relatively simple indoor project when done in small quantities. Their concern is that if/when legalized in their state, there might be more pressure to catch the home growers to ensure that the new taxes can be enforced and collected.

I understand that Colorado is already discovering that not every joint being puffed came from a taxed supply. Unlicensed growers/vendors offering discounted, untaxed product are beginning to abound.

Hopefully, this will lead to true legalization where home growing and processing is no more illegal than growing and canning tomatoes or enjoying an apple from your tree.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Fail. Shouldn't that be 420?
Interesting...on my screen...the anchors get asked at 320. thx for bringing it up though.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

here. smoke this. see how things slow down? couldn't resist.

Urban Dictionary: 420
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I have several buddies who are long time pot consumers (and these are geezers my age!) They seem to have zero appreciation for the legalization aspect since they've been regular consumers anyway. They grow their own which they say is a relatively simple indoor project when done in small quantities. Their concern is that if/when legalized in their state, there might be more pressure to catch the home growers to ensure that the new taxes can be enforced and collected.

I understand that Colorado is already discovering that not every joint being puffed came from a taxed supply. Unlicensed growers/vendors offering discounted, untaxed product are beginning to abound.

Hopefully, this will lead to true legalization where home growing and processing is no more illegal than growing and canning tomatoes or enjoying an apple from your tree.
Actually, in CO it is now legal to cultivate up to 12 plants per household for personal use. I haven't touched the stuff in over 20 years, but I get the impression that 12 plants is quite a lot of weed. We have a small hydroponic system we use for growing culinary herbs and starting seedlings that I would imagine could e easily adapted to indoor growing.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I'll be headed to the "high" mountains of Colorado in a few days.
If nobody is going to harass me I might as well come clean. I have no intention of partaking in that stuff. I do love the mountains out there and am anxious to get started building the hermitage.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
here. smoke this. see how things slow down? couldn't resist.

Urban Dictionary: 420
Ah..thx for the clarification!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post

Or brewing your own beer.......

Stills are still illegal, however, even for making essential oils (scents). Some progress being made, however http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/h...#axzz2xtFObugv
Old 04-03-2014, 11:36 PM   #16
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Someone page me?
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:34 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

An interesting aspect of dope and same sex marriage polls is how rapidly views flipped from very negative to positive. I guess people just accept the common wisdom until they think about it but they don't think about it until enough views have changed to get a buzz stated - then blam, everybody flips. Even five years ago, expressing positive views on either topic would make you unelectable. Soon the reverse will be true in many locations.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:46 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a fun fact (really). The Bull Market 80-90's Cocaine and Red Bull - hyped to make money. Some reputable analyst / market forecasters. And here I mean not telling you what just happened (TV), but high probability future events. So with major bear market (some say started in 2000) in was forecast years ago before bear market was over pot would legal and caffeine product sales would slow - drink water, or... Perfect combo for a negative mood in a bear market. 2000-03 (down) 2003-2007) up (2007-2009) down (2009-2014??) up & then hard down to 2016-18, that's a forecast (not mine).
rjohnla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
An interesting aspect of dope and same sex marriage polls is how rapidly views flipped from very negative to positive. I guess people just accept the common wisdom until they think about it but they don't think about it until enough views have changed to get a buzz stated - then blam, everybody flips. Even five years ago, expressing positive views on either topic would make you unelectable. Soon the reverse will be true in many locations.

Hopefully this is part of a larger shift in views that individual freedom is what this country is all about.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:58 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi, yes you are right it is a shift and there will be more, but overall it will not be positive like 1990's. (not my forecast, but agree with it)
rjohnla is offline   Reply With Quote