On The Street Where I Live - Men At Home

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've long been fascinated with trends in society and culture..how male & female roles have changed for example..
I remember at my Dad's Country Club in the 60's- 70s there were no single women members ...women belonged through their husbands and they played golf only at certain limited times - ...Dad's Business club downtown had only male members (sorry) and women could only eat there on fridays at lunch and only with their husbands.....married women where I lived stayed at home...

2007 - on my street there are 8 men that are at home.....6 have wives that work - me included...some are young and take care of the kids...couple OR guys...there is one ER 8) ....the other day I found myself in the street talking with 2 young dad's with their 5-6 year olds, an 89 yr old and my next door neighbor who works from home...no women - there are a few elderly ladies and I think there are only 2 old style marriages where only the man works....and a couple where both work...

amazing and cool that there is this role flexibility today in the US - wonder what it will be like in 20 years...

About a year ago before we sold our house in NY I took a look at five houses on either side of mine. Out of a total of 10 houses 9 men were dead and the last house was a divorced woman living alone. I got out of there quick, after 31 years I didn't like my odds. ;)

It's different but the same. There's more flexibility.

My wife quit her job to get her parents settled in nursing / assisted live a little over a year ago. They're settled but she's still filling her day with visiting them and lunching with her friends. What does she do all day? :confused:

I'm ready to bail but I don't see any reason to when I'm tied to Houston -- mosquito feeding capital of Texas.

I'm looking for an invite to fish for stripers in New England.

2007 - on my street there are 8 men that are at home.....6 have wives that work - me included...some are young and take care of the kids...couple OR guys...there is one ER ....the other day I found myself in the street talking with 2 young dad's with their 5-6 year olds, an 89 yr old and my next door neighbor who works from home...no women - there are a few elderly ladies and I think there are only 2 old style marriages where only the man works....and a couple where both work...

Yes, times have changed, indeed....funny how the ladies would just say "stay at home mom" vs. all of these guys on this site that claim "ER" ;)

Women's lib was not only for women - it freed boys, girls and men from their traditional roles. I don' think everyone thinks the way I do.

In my office, I can think of two of the women who are the breadwinners while their husbands stay at home. One has a medical condition while the other was doing a better and cheaper job raising the kids than with a sitter. Flexibility is good.

I think it's great now that men have the option to be the "stay at home mom".

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
I think it's great now that men have the option to be the "stay at home mom".

Seems that plenty men on this board opt for this plan. Though as Maddy pointed out, they tend to call it ER rather than househusband. Too bad all those women in the 50s didn't realize that they were ERs, and not "just houswives". Might have made their paths a bit easier.

Ha

Hmmm - if memory serves, I called myself unemployed - she lasted one year more, said screw this and ER'd.

heh heh heh - I skulked around as unemployed for several years(with a temp job in between) - until my age 55 'early retirement checks' allowed me to be retired(1998). Where were you guys when I 'could have been a high class ER' and bragged about it in 1993:confused: Huh! Where :confused: :D :D :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Mwsinron said:
What do you do all day?

Whatever I want to. Nothing in particular - and a few other retorts picked up from this forum. Alas - I arrived at the party late so I didn't know all this good ER stuff at the time.

Had to suffer though the guilty pleasure of thoroughly enjoying ER in silence.

heh heh heh - boy was er ah tough back in the 'old days' by cracky! ::)

unclemick2 said:
Whatever I want to. Nothing in particular - and a few other retorts picked up from this forum. Alas - I arrived at the party late so I didn't know all this good ER stuff at the time.

Had to suffer though the guilty pleasure of thoroughly enjoying ER in silence.

heh heh heh - boy was er ah tough back in the 'old days' by cracky! ::)

Haha! My answer is whatever the ___ I want! The blank space is for whatever mood I am in that day ;)

"Women's lib was not only for women - it freed boys, girls and men from their traditional roles."

How excellent that you realize this, Dex! Too bad that many other guys were so threatened by it...

Back
Top Bottom