Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

One House, Two Retirees
Old 08-05-2022, 06:31 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One House, Two Retirees

Alone Together
"Things could be lazy if they weren't so crazy." World In Changes by Dave Mason

Four weeks of two in the home. Yes, alone together, world is changing, and we are still flexible!

Puttering in the yard, planting seeds, picking up dead tree leaves (scorching July weather in New Jersey).

A fawn was lost and wandering about on the July 4th weekend, and looked for temporary refuge in our yard several times. Eventually a big sister appeared and retrieved the stray. Root cause: fireworks.

Many things are being tossed out or put in bags for pickup. The amount of paper documents is incredible. I shred as many as I can and use as mulch.

I used to pick through what she bagged, proclaiming, "How can you get rid of this?" Then a brief lesson form me about the history. Now I let it go, no judgment. We still have a lot!

In the house we get lazy, watching soccer all day. Between two major tournaments and league play there's a lot to take in. Ah, the good life. Stay mentally busy and think of anything other than the crazy quilt of U.S. helathcare and high cost of targeted therapy via pills.

We have resources, though. Just trying to preserve some comfort for her additional 25 years of life to come. Dang, her parents each almost got to 90!

The Simple Electrical Upgrade Project. Needed an outlet inside our HVAC room in the basement, close to the door for overhead led strip. Looked for a wired-in approach, but gave up on that for various reasons. A plug-in LED strip is more flexible, and much brighter.

Electrical in the basement is on a few different circuits. A feed cable ran in the space from a wall outlet to two more. The cable is strung between open partitions, a PIA for 30 years. And the starting outlet is defective, with one outlet corroded and not working well. It has pluged in wires with no slack in the feed wire. OMG this happens in every outlet I get into, I swear. Worked around that, and there was only one trip to Lowes for an outlet box (or two, I couldn't resist), wall plate, and proper length screws.

Lowes is a nice store with decent prices. It's better lit for an old guy. Garden Center had closed gates, only access from inside the store, and no cashier. Nix the idea for more soil. No crowds, so fun to wander around. Son calls from Europe, and that provided a fitting distraction for her as I wander the aisles in search of the absolutely correct wall screws I'll need to fix some shoddy construction in the wall partitions. Usually my son calls as he wanders the aisles of hardware stores in Berlin. Odd juxtaposition, or whatever you'd call it...

Same day we hit up Aldi, and it cost $90 or so for 3/4 cart. Declined the steak for hamburger. Rolls seemed high, but who cares? Said no to the smallish container of olives and went for two jars with more olives! My inflation-fighting senses are on alert.

At Aldi checkout there was one long line that disappeared very quickly. We found an almost empty line, tried it, and cashier was kind enough to let us through even though closed. Lol, we must look very old and helpless.

Next day in the basement I was re-routing the cable, safely connecting things, and spent quite a bit of time making it a clean look. Fortunately some of the work is sitting on the ground. However, then you have to get up!

Next day she went to an afternoon meet-and-greet at a local university clinic to hear about a potential part-time gig. Evidently her professional chops built up over 40 years in medical research are desirable. There's some trepidation, and flack from the kids, but I'm ok with what she needs to stay sane.

There were some mysterious calls among family members, about me. As I pieced together the controversy, it became apparent the kids want to run our lives. I guess that is pay-back for the childhood experience (sarcastic emoji here).

Back to planning three weeks in Ireland. Retirement is a daily challenge.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2022, 07:55 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post

Back to planning three weeks in Ireland. Retirement is a daily challenge.
Yep! It's a tough j*b, but someone has to do it. Keep up the good w*rk!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:39 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Isn't it great to be able to do what you want, when you want?
Life is wonderful!
Old 08-05-2022, 04:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

There's a lot of contrast between us. I was not bothered at all by COVID lockdown. My pursuits are mostly cerebral, and that is easy to do each day.

Two years later she stays home for good. I see each day that she is ready to hit the running/walking path by 7 AM. I know at work in the city she was not always able to get that done at lunchtime. So it makes me happy that she does her thing every day.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:03 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm just trying to hold the house together while my wife finishes her 2 week stint in rehab after her terrible back surgery. The daughter and granddaughter just don't place emphasis on keeping the kitchen clean.

Looking forward to getting the wife home so I can quit running back and forth 2x daily.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:32 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I'm just trying to hold the house together while my wife finishes her 2 week stint in rehab after her terrible back surgery. The daughter and granddaughter just don't place emphasis on keeping the kitchen clean.

Looking forward to getting the wife home so I can quit running back and forth 2x daily.
That is a difficult responsibility. Sorry that it has happened to you.

My wife is definitely the lead person on many essentials in daily living. She's driven me to various monthly treatments and appointments for over two years now. When I came out of treatment three hours later, she was ready. She would take long walks in the city, read, and meet her friend for lunch. Then she'd appear when the nurse texted her.

We're very fortunate to have great partners, right?
Old 08-06-2022, 09:12 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post

We're very fortunate to have great partners, right?
They make all the difference. Worth their weight in gold.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:32 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

I am sorry for your situation. My wife was hospitalized for 3 months. During that time I would see her before I went to work and when I came home. When she was in the ICU, I found the code to get in so I did not have to call a nurse.
I had her menus, so I could fix dinners for myself. Some of my neighbors had me over for dinner, figuring I would be starving. The fact was I had Tupperware full of leftovers.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote