Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2013, 03:17 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

FWIW, 39glasses, Zenni, and GlassesUSA all have pretty much identical websites. Ya think it is all one big company?
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I wanted to order from Zenni but their collection for my face size (large frames) is not really great. Plus, their oleophobic coating has got a really lot of beating.

I ordered from Googles4u, primarily because they had the frame I liked (plus, there was some sale going on that I learned at the time of placing an order). The glasses are on its way so can't comment on that yet. (They have mixed reviews on resellerratings.com)

Check Youtube, I noticed (after placing an order), there are a lot of videos where they compare glasses from different vendors.
noelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:38 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I am not sure about buying glasses online without a prescription, however I would recommend not to skip your annual vision screenings, especially for those who have diabetes (or even at risk of getting it).
I don't think anyone mentioned buying online without a prescription? I ordered my glasses a few days after my latest prescription. Having access to cheaper glasses makes me want to get a prescription more often because now the total cost to change lenses is much less.

I don't think annual vision screenings are recommended for most except those at risk (as you mentioned diabetes, etc.). I get mine every other year which is overkill but I need the prescription and I want it to be accurate. In fact, California law mandated that prescriptions be valid for 2 years because they felt that optometrists and opthamologists were just plain ripping people off. I got in an argument with an opthamologist about this once and I never went back. He could give no medical reason for giving me only a one year prescription (this was before the law change) and wouldn't budge.

Web MD recommends for adults (if you know you are not at risk or if you don't have a specific problem come up):

Every 5 to 10 years if you are younger than 40.

Every 2 to 4 years if you are age 40 to 54. (Starting at age 40, presbyopia is likely to develop.)

Every 1 to 3 years if you are age 55 to 64.

Every 1 to 2 years if you are age 65 or older.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #24

I have seen patients in Europe getting glasses without prescriptions as well as US patients abroad buying medicines (including pregnancy category C and D) OTC without any prescription. Better safe than sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
I don't think anyone mentioned buying online without a prescription? I ordered my glasses a few days after my latest prescription. Having access to cheaper glasses makes me want to get a prescription more often because now the total cost to change lenses is much less.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I found this site explained everything about pupilary distance.

I bought a pair of variable lenses and should have picked larger lenses. My PD was off too. When I go for an exam soon, the doctor will give me the PD, or I will try one of the methods mentioned in that site.
So if your self measurement of PD is off a bit, what does that do in relation to the performance of your eye glasses? Right now all I do is just keep the readers at the bottom of my nose when reading as I only need them for reading. Of I could add a 3 inch extension to my arm, I could pitch the glasses and be fine.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
So if your self measurement of PD is off a bit, what does that do in relation to the performance of your eye glasses? Right now all I do is just keep the readers at the bottom of my nose when reading as I only need them for reading. Of I could add a 3 inch extension to my arm, I could pitch the glasses and be fine.
It's more important for higher power prescriptions. Also it really isn't part the prescription, the doc usually doesn't measure. Most of the time when you get the paper from the doc, the PD is blank. The optician measures the PD as it is part of how the lens is positioned in the frame.

This site has a tool to upload a pic and calculate the PD Free Pupillary Distance Test Online | Free PD Self Test by FinestGlasses.com
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #27

Just a suggestion in hopes it may help someone.

I had my eyes checked (at Costco) for glasses about six months ago after my cataract surgery.

I asked the optometrist to do three refractions for me (he was happy to oblige).

First was for distance, and as I expected, it was perfect (I love my cataract surgeon).

Second was for reading. Easy.

The third was similar to reading, but instead of normal reading distance I had the refraction done at full arms length plus an inch or so. That's the distance from my eye to my computer screen, and it was definitely different enough from my reading prescription. The extra six inches or so make a noticeable difference.

I had two different pair of glasses made. One was bifocal (nothing on top, reading prescription below). I can wear those around the house and they serve me very well. The other was monofocal, just for the computer. I keep those computer glasses next to my keyboard, and they are an absolute delight.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
This site has a tool to upload a pic and calculate the PD Free Pupillary Distance Test Online | Free PD Self Test by FinestGlasses.com
I checked my PD on this link, it said its 77 but mine is 68 (optometrist checked). So not too sure who is correct.

They have really good frames. I wonder if anybody ordered from these guys.

I really want someone offering a decent oleophobic coating. I am tired of finger prints and eye-brow oil on lens.
noelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Under the heading of for what it is worth: I go to an Ophthalmologist who does not sell glasses and thus has no skin in the glasses game. He gives me the medical checkup for my eyes that is important in my lay opinion and all the measurements, necessary for proper fitting of glasses so that I can buy on line. Plus he has the instrument to read the prescription from a lens so that when I first bought on line I could bring in the glasses and double check. They were fine.

The money is in the frames. Bulk buying and reducing dirt and mortar overhead results in lower prices.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I have those twisty-frames and they fit beautifully. Last month I needed new lenses so I went to Costco. For a modest fee, and the regular price of my lenses, they did the job. Love them!
Old 08-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Since I just got a new prescription this week and paid out the wazoo at Lenscrafters for trifocals, I decided to order a pair of single vision (driving only) sunglasses from 39dollarglasses.

With the cheapest frame, cheapest tinted lenses, and cheapest shipping, the total was $53.90. The glasses alone were $48.95 because the lenses are tinted, and the shipping was $4.95. Oh well. It could have been worse.

I'll see how they are and maybe next time I'll get my primary glasses from them too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:02 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

The last pair of 39dollarglasses I ordered cost $156.28. This is for Transitions Progressive Lenses. I plan to order another pair just like them.

The online glasses retailers that I've ordered from will allow you to mail them an old pair of your glasses that you are satisfied with so that they can obtain the frame measurements for your new glasses.
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I bought a pair from 39$ to use as sunglasses. Did the PD measurements myself. Overall pretty happy. The plastic frames didn't fit perfect, but I simply ran hot water over the frames, made the adjustment and problem solved.

After discounts I paid around $40. I mainly use while driving as my transitions won't darken much inside my car.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I bought a pair from 39$ to use as sunglasses. Did the PD measurements myself. Overall pretty happy. The plastic frames didn't fit perfect, but I simply ran hot water over the frames, made the adjustment and problem solved.

After discounts I paid around $40. I mainly use while driving as my transitions won't darken much inside my car.
Glad to hear that you are happy with them. Neat trick with the hot water, too! Like you, I did my own PD measurements so I hope that will work for me too. I came out with 67 every time I measured, but apparently 55-65 is more common and the website asked me to doublecheck, so I am a little nervous about that.

I am pretty vain when it comes to glasses, so I will be interested to see if the frames look good on me (as well as fitting). The glasses I bought at the mall are much smaller than my 8-year-old prior glasses, due to changes in available womens' styles. Right now I am balancing some much-too-big sunglass clip-ons on these much smaller glasses, so nothing could look worse than that. Besides, they could fall off because only the top clips engage.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
The last pair of 39dollarglasses I ordered cost $156.28. This is for Transitions Progressive Lenses. I plan to order another pair just like them.

The online glasses retailers that I've ordered from will allow you to mail them an old pair of your glasses that you are satisfied with so that they can obtain the frame measurements for your new glasses.
I found that 39dollarglasses got expensive for anything outside of a plain single power pair. Zenni I got bifocal transitions+frames+shipping for ~$70
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Glad to hear that you are happy with them. Neat trick with the hot water, too! Like you, I did my own PD measurements so I hope that will work for me too. I came out with 67 every time I measured, but apparently 55-65 is more common and the website asked me to doublecheck, so I am a little nervous about that.
Here's what I did to get my PD:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I ended up doing my own measurement - used a hole punch to make two holes in a sheet of paper and adjusted the distance between the holes until I could hold the paper to my face and clearly see through both simultaneously. Measured the distance between the center of the holes = PD. Worked perfectly.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here's what I did to get my PD:
Nice trick! The hole from a hole punch is probably 2-3 mm wide, I would guess offhand, but if one gets it centered just right and keeps the paper from bending then that ought to work beautifully.

I just held a ruler up to my face while looking in the mirror, so I'll let you know how that worked. I usually feel like it should be wider than what I get.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I am pretty vain when it comes to glasses, so I will be interested to see if the frames look good on me (as well as fitting). The glasses I bought at the mall are much smaller than my 8-year-old prior glasses, due to changes in available womens' styles. Right now I am balancing some much-too-big sunglass clip-ons on these much smaller glasses, so nothing could look worse than that. Besides, they could fall off because only the top clips engage.
I doubt I got the measurements just right. When I first put them on, things looked a little strange but I think it had more to do with the frames not sitting just right on my face. Once I got that adjusted, they were fine. I've had mine for about a year. Haven't had to make any more adjustments.

I wore mine on the beach this past weekend. To me they look just as good as the more expensive ones others were wearing. No fancy label on the side, but who cares. There are more important things to look at on the beach.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been happy with 3 pairs of glasses I bought at Coastal:
Discount Eyeglasses - Order Glasses Online & Save at Coastal.com

Bought one at eyebuydirect and would not use them again (arms were bent at a crazy angle making them unwearable).
eyeonFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:19 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Wearing a recent pair of Zenni glasses right now - progressive photo-darkening with oleophobic coating. Very pleased to note that the photo-darkening option also gives a thinner lens, almost as thin as their thinnest option. Felt it was well worth the extra $50. Pleased with the oleophobic coating, hasn't gone away as far as I can tell in the last couple months and my eyebrow smudges wipe away easily. Spent just under $100. My gal got new lenses installed in some old frames at Shopco (we really feel confident about that ophthalmologist (optometrist?) and spent about $340.

You do need to be ready and able to tweak the Zenni glasses to fit your face - nose pieces, hinges, etc. without someone else to do it for you.

Zenni lets you upload a straight ahead photo of your face, mark your pupils on the uploaded picture, enter your PD, and then try different glasses on your picture - the images of the glasses are sized to fit the ratio of PD you enter vs distance between the marked pupils on your photo. Works pretty well, better than putting on glasses that don't have a prescription and wondering if you are looking in a mirror or at an advertising poster.

We got a great PD reading from a prescription at Costco one year, then a really bad one that was several mm off at another Costco when we just got an exam. Double checking with the free Zenni PD scale is a good idea.

Zenni has very helpful phone staff who can walk you through ordering the right prescription for computer glasses and other intricacies.

Last year I had a pair of Gandhi frames from Zenni - cheapest they had ($6.95?) and the sturdiest frames I've ever worn. Vanity however....
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote