Join Early Retirement Today

Online prescription glasses good or bad?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:42 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Online prescription glasses good or bad?

Has anyone tried ordering their prescription eyeglasses from an online company like Zetti.com? I have read mixed reviews about Zetti and other online glasses companies.

I need progressive bifocials and have astigmatism. I am about due for an eye exam. The price of online glasses looks good but I am uneasy about trying online glasses.

Please share the good and bad of online prescription glasses.

Thanks!
Watertree
Watertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you mean Zenni.

My husband is very satisfied with his single-vision glasses from Zenni, but we have no experience with progressives.
Spudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Encouraged by positive comments from family and at this site - I ordered glasses with progressive lens from Zenni. We measured, measured, and also used the sizing information from old glasses. These are the best glasses I have ever had. I am going to order more just cuz they are so reasonable priced I can go for a different look for fun. I did get the extra coating on the lens and am very happy that I did.

I should have added that I also have an astigmatism.
molly312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Very satisfied with Zenni for extra glasses (single vision). The progressives had a distortion on the edges (another person I know had same problem). The quality I get from Sam's club outweigh the cost savings for everyday glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
foxcreek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I got some prescription sunglasses from 39dollarglasses.com last year or the year before for driving, and they were WONDERFUL. I really think they were higher quality than the glasses I got at Lenscrafters, and they were so cheap. These were just distance vision only, for driving, not progressives so I have no idea if they even sell progressives (which I do not like). Maybe you could try an online place for single vision sunglasses first, to see what you think before dropping a lot on progressives.

Be sure to take the measurements they request, and to do that carefully, and I think you'll be very happy with the results.

Now that my distance vision has been corrected by cataract surgery a month ago, I just ordered some gorgeous non-prescription sunglasses from elsewhere for driving. I am paying through the nose for style, but that is another story.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I got some prescription sunglasses from 39dollarglasses.com last year or the year before for driving, and they were WONDERFUL. I really think they were higher quality than the glasses I got at Lenscrafters, and they were so cheap. These were just distance vision only, for driving, not progressives so I have no idea if they even sell progressives (which I do not like). Maybe you could try an online place for single vision sunglasses first, to see what you think before dropping a lot on progressives.

Be sure to take the measurements they request, and to do that carefully, and I think you'll be very happy with the results.

Now that my distance vision has been corrected by cataract surgery a month ago, I just ordered some gorgeous non-prescription sunglasses from elsewhere for driving. I am paying through the nose for style, but that is another story.
I am thinking of ordering a couple of extra pairs from 39glasses and am a little curious as to the measurement of the pupillary distance (distance between the center of each eye). I know they mention using a sheet of paper, but it seems inexact. Would it be as effective to measure from the dead-center of a current pair of lenses? At first blush, I think it would be even more accurate, but I don't really know.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
I am thinking of ordering a couple of extra pairs from 39glasses and am a little curious as to the measurement of the pupillary distance (distance between the center of each eye). I know they mention using a sheet of paper, but it seems inexact. Would it be as effective to measure from the dead-center of a current pair of lenses? At first blush, I think it would be even more accurate, but I don't really know.
I did it just as they specified one should do it, and very carefully. I took my time and re-did it a few times to be sure. That worked out beautifully so I would suggest doing exactly what they tell you to do.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:44 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I also bought a couple pairs of single vision sunglasses from 39dollarglasses.com and am happy with them. The measurement is easy, just follow the directions. They came real quick, less than 1 week for me.

i have not tried the progressive lenses in clear like my normal glasses, but I feel there is no reason to think they would not be acceptable.

The biggest drawback is you have to look at the frames without being able to see them directly on your face, like at a real store.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:35 AM   #9

I just got a pair of progressive lenses from Zenni. There rate of change from lower part of lens to upper part is different from my other pair of glasses so they may take some getting used to. The Zenni pair is my back-up right now, my used to be everyday pair got so old the bows were cracking, rough and irritating (well they are 12 years old) so retired them and my former back-up is now my everyday pair. But for $56!!, absolutely worth the try.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I've bought progressive lenses from ReplaceALens (online but through the Denver store), 39Dollarglasses, and Zenni. All three purchases worked just fine. With ReplaceALens you can mail them your old frames if you wish and they will fit new lenses to them. Since I had Nikon titanium frames, I have done that.

The other two online places you have to buy the frames (I think). No problems using any of these services.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

I did mean zenni.com. Thanks for all replies.
Watertree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:32 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought a pair of progressive lenses, in hip and happnin' frames, from Warby Parker. I must say, they take some getting used to. My other (older) pair are from a local chi-chi opthomologist. I have to say that on balance, the older pair is easier to use. I was told the same thing by an aquaintance who bought some Warby progressives -- more distortion and awkward transition than those he bought through an opthomologist. Wish it wasn't so.... So I just wear the Warbys to parties so I can (attempt) to look hip and happnin'.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:37 AM   #13
Confused about dryer sheets

I order progressives each year from zenni, and have been quite happy. I usually get two pair, and wear the ones that fit the best as daily wear and carry the others as spares
futboljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:42 AM   #14

my older son has used eyebuydirect for single correction prescriptions. I expect we will try on line this year for similar prescriptions to those you mention. So either get on with it an let us know... or wait until early next year when we get around to doing ours on line.

Unfortunately I have not found anyone that provides lenses that correct for the scratches in my eye
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #15

I've ordered 3 pair from Zenni over the past year and all have been perfect.
The only hitch is picking out the frames from a picture. I think I likely would have chosen 2 of 3 differently had I been able to try them on.
But they function fine, the price was right, so happy-- most everything..
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are other eyeglass threads.do be sure to check those out also.

My latest pair of progressives are from Zenni. They cost less than $100, and I get a $75 rebate from spouse's employer. This pair is much lighter than anything previously worn.

The key point is getting your PD correct. You'll likely have problems if you're not sure of this number.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
So I just wear the Warbys to parties so I can (attempt) to look hip and happnin'.
Plus, you can blame any lack of coordination on your vision being just a little off!

Timely thread as I was just considering sending some old frames in to an online business after doing some research on getting lenses only. Locally I was quoted $150 to $330 for progressives with all the coatings using my VSP insurance. This seems outrageous to me! I am wondering if they all price gauge to make up for not getting to sell you new frames. Granted VSP is pretty minimalist insurance but they supposedly cover progressives with a $25 copayment. However antiglare, scratch resist, photogray all have big surcharges. I was just looking on line yesterday and wondering how things came out doing your own measurements. Hearing the feedback here gives me the confidence to give it a try. I may even send off two frames and get one just for distance for driving. I used to have better vision coverage and got new glasses every year. My vision hadn't changed much over the years so I've had them strategically placed and have used many of them only lightly. I am finally finding that some of the older prescriptions are not as useful anymore but the frames are still pretty nice and look good on me.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:47 AM   #18
Confused about dryer sheets

A couple other possibly useful thought -

If you currently have glasses, measure the size of those frames, and use that as a guide for what to buy online.

For progressives, I've found that a taller lens height, 34mm or more, works best. Any less, for me, the progression from far to near is a little too quick and difficult to adjust to.

I order a pair w 37mm or more for working on computer and fine tasks, and order aviators that are over 40mm for driving and outdoor activities, and can even use them for golf.
futboljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #19

I have used Zenni for years for many pairs of glasses for myself and my kids. I love their prices, service and quality. Completely happy with their work. Also, very happy with the pricing, so having a spare pair or some different looks is not expensive. For kids glasses that get crushed in sports (and occasionally just lost) the low cost means always having a spare ready is easy.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I totally agree about the progressive lens height. I went with taller lenses than the minimum "30" and it has made a huge difference.
molly312 is offline   Reply With Quote