Join Early Retirement Today

Online purchase question
Old 12-07-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Online purchase question

I am interested in purchasing a used kayak from a private party several states away. If I pay his price, he will pay to ship.

Any ideas on handling the money part? This is several hundred dollars and it makes me a bit nervouse to just send him the money.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Paypal. That way you can use your credit card via Paypal and get them involved if there is a problem.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:03 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
Paypal. That way you can use your credit card via Paypal and get them involved if there is a problem.
Ditto, PayPal is the way to go IMHO...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

ditto again for PayPal, or maybe some type of escrow service if the seller balks at PayPal. maybe something like this: https://www.escrow.com/index.asp
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Ask if he'll take cash on delivery? Worth a shot...
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

What KB said. PayPal would much rather suck the money from your checking account and they make it hard to use a credit card, but it's your best recourse if something goes bad.

A couple years ago I had an eBay seller stiff me on a $1200 purchase*, but since I'd paid with a credit card through PayPal I was made whole within the month.

*Hey, Google, Randy Winegar used eBay to steal my money!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Martha,

Be sure you're saving substantial bux and getting exactly what you want in your used boat transaction. Based on reading zillions of your posts, I'd assume this wouldn't happen to you....... but I've seen folks accept a model that isn't exactly exactly what they want or have the boat damaged in shipping resulting in complications or have the boat not be in as good of condition as claimed when buying used from a distant seller. So, before buying from a stranger located far away, be sure the risk is being offset by big time savings.

Also, be sure you chat at length with the seller on the phone and feel confident after the conversation he/she is trustworthy. Email exchanges don't cut it.

If you're only saving 30% - 40% vs new list price, remember that Canoecopia (in Madison, Wis) is only a few months away and there are usually nice deals to be had there. Plus lots of great seminars, classes and product reviews to attend.

We bought one kayak (a Hobie) at the Chicago Boat and RV show and got a great price. We bought another at Bass Pro Shop (an Ocean Kayak) on sale. The third (a Dagger) we bought used at a garage sale.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Good points Youbet. I am bummed that I will be in Texas in March during Canoecopia.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Good points Youbet. I am bummed that I will be in Texas in March during Canoecopia.
I'm bummed I'm not in Texas right now! We're having serious winter already in Chicago.

We spent extended Xmas holidays the past two years on Lake LBJ chasing bass around in 50f to 70f temps. The locals down there apparently think that's too cold to fish since we were typically the only boat in sight and all the $million homes seemed abandoned.......
Old 12-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
The locals down there apparently think that's too cold to fish since we were typically the only boat in sight.......
We're all at deer camp...
Old 12-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We're all at deer camp...

Now THAT song is playing in my head!
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I agree with PayPal, its the only way to have any recourse on the purchase.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:10 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The guy doesn't want to do paypal. He wants money upfront. I can understand but I probably will pass on the purchase.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #14

Quote:
The guy doesn't want to do paypal. He wants money upfront. I can understand but I probably will pass on the purchase.
Yeah, that's not a good sign from a seller.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Then pass. If his objection is to the PayPal fees, sometimes a deal can be worked out -- but if he won't take it under any circumstance, I'd back away unless it was someone I *really* had good reason to trust.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

OK, I followed nobody's advice, including my own. I bought the thing, the guy shipped after the check cleared, and I got it today.

I built some trust by checking out where he worked. He worked for a public entity and info about him was on the Net.

I'm happy but I could have been screwed.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you got your kayak!!

In a few months, all that snow and ice will melt and you'll have plenty of water for it, though maybe you do already.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Well luckily it turned out okay ! I love our kayak . We can throw it in and go in inches of water plus it's easy to put in & out .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

An out of shape lawyer friend of ours in his mid 60's escaped from Katrina's flooding in his kayak. The water had gotten up to the second story of his house, so he just got in his kayak and paddled off.

He paddled several miles until he got to a freeway overpass where others had gathered. There, he rested and was finally rescued.

So, it's sort of a safety device - - like having a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, or a seat belt in your car.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post

So, it's sort of a safety device - - like having a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, or a seat belt in your car.
Note To Self: Move kayak to second floor
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote