Join Early Retirement Today

Only in Canada you say?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Only in Canada you say?

Until I hear the rest of the story, I'd rather live in Texas: Trial Begins For Man Charged With Stabbing Intruder
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sounds like a news item from The Onion...
Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #3

yabut, it ain't.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have a jury system in Canada? It's hard for me to imagine a jury convicting him -especially since he didn't kill the intruder.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Do you have a jury system in Canada? It's hard for me to imagine a jury convicting him -especially since he didn't kill the intruder.
IANAL but I believe that any criminal offence punishablle by 2 years or more requires a jury trial (offences less than 2 years, accused may elect trial by judge alone, CDN lawyers please correct if necessary).

You may be right, but why put the poor bast--d through the trials (pun intended), tribulations and costs of defending himself. If he had used a gun rather than a knife, he'd die owing legal fees even if aquitted.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the overlooked "canadian-ism" in this story, is that the intruder took his shoes off at the front door!

Maybe he didn't want to scuff the hardwood.
naggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #7

Who did you know to cheat and get it so fast?
Old 09-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow. I hope we see the outcome of this.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I recall, some 15 years or more ago, in the B.C. interior, an old guy (80s, I believe), stabbed, (perhaps with a screwdriver), a guy, apparently around 6'2", who was climbing through an open window.

Rumor was that the old boy was going to be charged, and a Vancouver talk radio station was inundated with indignant calls.......so many that the RCMP were obliged to make an official announcement saying that he was not facing any charges.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #10

Intruder probably is entitled to free health care also.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Seems to me that this could happen in the US as well.

I seem to recall similar cases where an intruder sued for damages in civil court and won.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Until I hear the rest of the story, I'd rather live in Texas: Trial Begins For Man Charged With Stabbing Intruder
This is the same type of mentality that comes from those who want to take our guns away. Unbelievable that this could even end up in a court room.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Although this story may have more to it than was written, I don't know, but in general, I find it an outrage that anyone would be prosecuted for defending their home. That should be ones sacred ground, and any homeowner facing an intruder entering a property illegally should have the right to "eliminate the danger" anyway they see fit in their mind. But then again, maybe my opinion should be discounted because I believe man/women who keep spitting out children by the dozens with the taxpayer footing all the bills for their upbringing should be legally sterilized.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #14

I'm pretty sure the situation would be even worse in England, based on some of the stories I've read about over there.

I can't really blame the prosecutors for upholding the law, but I do think the people should get some of these laws changed.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I think most people are missing the fact that it was not his house!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I think most people are missing the fact that it was not his house!
From the article: "The trial of a Toronto man charged with aggravated assault after stabbing a man who broke into his house began Tuesday.
In July 2011 Moses Mahilal, 29, and his girlfriend Sarah Walsh returned to their home near Keele Street and Eglinton Avenue West at 3 a.m. to find their door ajar and an unfamiliar pair of shoes on the floor."

Sounds as if it's his house to me.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
From the article: "The trial of a Toronto man charged with aggravated assault after stabbing a man who broke into his house began Tuesday.
In July 2011 Moses Mahilal, 29, and his girlfriend Sarah Walsh returned to their home near Keele Street and Eglinton Avenue West at 3 a.m. to find their door ajar and an unfamiliar pair of shoes on the floor."

Sounds as if it's his house to me.
+1

It clearly was his house.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Pretty sure in the US you can't use deadly force to defend your property either right? Only if you feel you feel personally threatened?
Old 09-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadR
Pretty sure in the US you can't use deadly force to defend your property either right? Only if you feel you feel personally threatened?
That is where the "castle doctrine" comes into play at the state level. And various states have levels of this in their specific castle doctrine. I would assume Kentucky's law is pretty strong because a week or 2 ago a 92 year old man didn't bother to ask if the intruder opening up the door from the basement was the tooth fairy. They immediately said he would not face charges after a nice kill shot to the chest. I feel pretty safe in my state too that I don't have to ask an intruder if he is here on a mission of peace before I blast away. The only thing that will come out of my mouth is this person broke into my house and I was in imminent fear of my life.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #20
gone traveling

This link explains in simple language how the Castle doctrine works in Texas as it is designed to protect the homeowner, not the other way around:

Texas'
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote