Join Early Retirement Today

Opportunity missed in Tampa
Old 11-03-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Opportunity missed in Tampa

Dagnabbit!!!

I just realized as I was logging back on that I missed an opportunity to finally meet one or two of you. I just returned from three weeks of assisting my mother and gather with adjusting to life as an amputee. Mom (70 yr old diabetic) just lost one leg up to the knee. Dad (77, 2 strokes and 1 heart attack, uses a walker) could not have handled it alone.

So anyway, I was in the Tampa FL area and it never occurred to me to put out a shout here and see if anyone wanted to step out from behind their mask of anonymity. Since I like to ride so much I could have easily taken a day to ride anywhere from Jax to Miami.

Bummer! Oh well, maybe next spring, when both DW and I go down again for a visit.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ithrnckpa,

Forgiven. You had a lot on your mind. Hope your mother is doing better. An amputation is a tough adjustment at any time, but I would imagine it is very difficult for a 70 year old. I hope your parents have some assistance in the area.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm guessing "Rich_in_Tampa", our resident physician, lives in Tampa but I'm not sure.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I'm guessing "Rich_in_Tampa", our resident physician, lives in Tampa but I'm not sure.
He does.

Visitors should call ahead - we can probably get a pretty good contingent together here. It'll be paradise for the next 7 months.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Sandy, thanks. They're both pretty set in their ways. He yells at her because she's not eating correctly to heal and manage her diabetes. She yells at him for trying to do too much around the house and then causing himself angina. No, they don't have any local assistance. Friends are all around their age, and pretty fragile too. But she's able to get from her bed to her wheel chair, to her recliner, and to her handicapped toilet with little or no assistance from him. And if he paces himself he doesn't wear down until after 9pm. My brother, Tom, relieved me and will stay for another week or so. He says they are functioning well. They'll manage, for now. But I think I'm going to look into something down there called "Comfort Keepers". I'd like to have an independent person check in with them from time to time.

Rich I'll keep that in mind, I hope. I'm thinking about making a trip down there around President's Day in February to check on them and get a break from the PA winter. Load one of the motorcycles in the bed of the truck and bring MY OWN hand tools with me to do minor work for them while I'm there. But I'm sure Cindy and I will both be looking for some time away as well.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnckpa View Post
Rich I'll keep that in mind, I hope. I'm thinking about making a trip down there around President's Day in February to check on them and get a break from the PA winter. Load one of the motorcycles in the bed of the truck and bring MY OWN hand tools with me to do minor work for them while I'm there. But I'm sure Cindy and I will both be looking for some time away as well.
Too bad I sold my bike last year (a K1200LT beemer). I could have shown you both of Florida's hills.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Too bad I sold my bike last year (a K1200LT beemer). I could have shown you both of Florida's hills.

There is more than one
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
There is more than one
Yes, they are here in Tally
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
Yes, they are here in Tally
Burial mounds don't count.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I'll be spending feburary in upstate New york trying to escape the florida winters .(or because my first grandchild is being born then )
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
There is more than one
We have things here we call the foothills, which are little hills at the base of our mountains. I think the smallest foothilll here is about 50 feet higher than the highest point in FL ;-)

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote