Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I've concluded that the chances of salmonella in a raw egg is extremely low, even with mass-produced eggs. I've seen quotes of 1 chance in 25,000, but more importantly, if an egg is not cracked, appears OK, and the whites look normal, the chances are even lower.
I've heard the same number, I didn't know about reducing it further by choosing 'good eggs', but that makes sense.

And I also wonder - is eating a single contaminated egg a big concern for most people? I suspect (but do not know), that the real danger lies in commercial production, where that egg gets mixed with other ingredients, and maybe they sit long enough for the salmonella to multiply? I'd love to hear from someone who knows about that.

I used to fear any egg that was less than well-cooked. But those numbers have me re-thinking that, but it's still a little tough for me to eat a runny egg, because that is ingrained in my mind. But I do it occasionally, and they are yummy. Funny thing is, I'm more likely to eat one in a high-end restaurant, I figure they must know what they are doing, and I can sue 'em if I get sick!

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2010, 08:40 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the consensus that organic isn't all that important (at least to me) but I do want to support local farmers--that's my focus. Plus I like the idea of comparatively better lives for the animals I do eat. It makes me feel better about my food choices.
My scientist father will rail all day long about what he deems the "organic myth".

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have yet to have anyone explain to me why organic is anything other than a scam, unless it's a cult.
It's funny this issue always brings out some anger in people. I remember back in the day how mad people got when you said smoking was bad for them. "There's no proof" they would say. Like most things, you can find whatever you want out there as far as information. I remember an article on how smoking was supposed to stop Altzheimers.

When it comes to smoking, eating organic, or any other issue which is clouded by corporate money you're just gonna have to use common sense. Eat all the pesticides you want. Won't bother me.

I got sprayed by something like this guy that was working in a corn field on my trip through the midwest a month ago. It was tough to get the noxious oily crap off my window. My common sense says to eat organic whenever I can. Consumer reports tested "organic" produce across the nation and found it to be 96% free of the stuff.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes I figure that organic food will be better not because it is organic, but because the inflated prices allow the farmer to take extra care and not cut corners. For example, not because of the lack of pesticides, but because the plant can be harvested with a more expensive, less bruising harvesting thingie.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
It's funny this issue always brings out some anger in people.
I didn't sense anger in that statement, I sensed a search for facts/truth.

Quote:
My common sense says to eat organic whenever I can.
The trouble is, what appears to make sense on the surface isn't always the case. It makes 'common sense' to many people that a '15 mile' meal is easier on the environment than a '1500 mile' meal. Or that a solar charger for their iPod is 'green'. But it is often just the opposite.

The tobacco thing is a straw-man. Just because some groups have used bad techniques to defend something in the past doesn't mean that any questioning of a topic can be thrown in the same bag. I suggest you have an open mind, and take the comments based their content, not on what some tobacco lobbyist said about cigarettes 50 years ago. I have no connection to agribusiness, beyond their component in the S&P500.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote