Origin of your ER.org user name?

I get paid to listen to people’s problems and give great advice. When I met my husband, his nickname was Charlie Brown because he always had a black cloud over his head. He said that the day he met me 37 years ago, his cloud disappeared :angel:

As a kid one of my favorite poems was "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. Through my life I have had many instance of "easy roads" to take that did not, through choice or luck. Those "roads" would not have put me where I am today. My name is a reminder of of one of them, to keep me from taking things for granted.

Back in 2012 I sat at my desk, after yet another long, stressful day, and calculated when I could retire. I thought it would be when I turned 52. But I overshot and retired at 48 and haven't been able to figure out how to change it to Retire48.

Too funny, when I joined this forum at age maybe 50, I was estimating my retirement to be when I was 58. So I chose "done at 58" as my user name. As I got closer and the math started looking better, I pinned my retirement date for Feb 1 2017 (aged 55) as that was when my pension lump sum could be released.

As it turns out, I was "RIF'ed" as part of a re-org and paid nicely to leave the company 28 days before my planned date, and 22 days before my 55th birthday.

I had the admin here change my username to "doneat54"

I set up an email account at Yahoo 16 years ago. I’m a golfer so Birdie was the start but they wanted some numbers and I was 48 years old. So, Bir48die was invented

During a period of my life when I was more carefree, I bought passage (on-deck only, no inside privileges) on a freighter northbound out of New Zealand. The fare was around $20 and I stayed on board for a thousand miles or so and saw some wonderfully obscure parts of the South Pacific. I jumped ship in Niuatoputapu where I waited a wonderful three weeks for a south bound freighter to appear (two weeks late). During retirement planning I had visions of a return to that carefree mode and thus I chose that island as my screen name. Still plan to become carefree, but meanwhile I spend time thinking about HI, RMDs, IRMMA, AA, ROI, SS, and COVID-19 and devising ways to put all of those things on autopilot or out-of-sight.

During a period of my life when I was more carefree, I bought passage (on-deck only, no inside privileges) on a freighter northbound out of New Zealand. The fare was around $20 and I stayed on board for a thousand miles or so and saw some wonderfully obscure parts of the South Pacific.

How did that work? What did you eat? Where did you sleep? What about a toilet?

I love quoting movies that I love. My name comes from the movie with the line
"Hell yes I changed my name. Would you buy furniture from a place called Unpainted Huffhines?"

Other lines from that movie:
"son, you got a panty on your head"
"so many social engagements, so little time."
"you're young, you got your health, what you want with a job?"
"awful good cereal flakes, Ms. McDunnough"
"say, who wears the pants in this family, H.I.?"

How did that work? What did you eat? Where did you sleep? What about a toilet?

One had to bring their own food. I slept, with around 30 Islanders (mainly Tongans), on the forward cargo hold cover. There was an awning above it that provided shade from the tropical sun. I do not recall the toilet situation so it was apparently managed. Perhaps there was a head on deck? The passengers were all islanders except for myself and some upper crust Englishman who constantly complained about the conditions and his inability to bribe himself inside.

My name is Kris. My goal is to quit. Not much else here . . . move along :)

Retired Early with 2 Boys. Retired at age 50 on Feb 3, 2000 from my career job with one and three year old boys , 20 years ago!

When I was a teenager I befriended a young lass and she once took me water-skiing behind the family boat. As I was in the water with the ski rope in my hand I noticed that "PB4USKI" was on the stern of the boat. I always thought it was clever. Since I also snow ski, it seemed appropriate.

I have been amused at how long it has taken some member to see the light on the meaning.
PB; I have always wondered what your screen name meant and I still don't get it?.. I mean ski - ok, ........bus PB for u ski?

What I want to know is, is Audrey's name really Audrey? I thing not, but I always think of her as Audrey, so in my head it is.

It's always interesting to see peoples user names on the ER forum. Some are straightforward, some are funny, some leave me guessing. How did you come up with your user name? Does it mean anything?
In 1984 my XO on my first submarine felt that we should have call signs like military aviators, so "Nords" is the family-friendly version of my call sign for Nordman.

We lost touch in the early 1990s, so in the late 1990s when I started posting to BBSs and forums I used that nickname to see whether we'd reconnect. It took a few years but we found each other.

I love quoting movies that I love. My name comes from the movie with the line
"Hell yes I changed my name. Would you buy furniture from a place called Unpainted Huffhines?"

Other lines from that movie:
"son, you got a panty on your head"
"so many social engagements, so little time."
"you're young, you got your health, what you want with a job?"
"awful good cereal flakes, Ms. McDunnough"
"say, who wears the pants in this family, H.I.?"

Love that movie - my favorite by those two brothers......:LOL:

Mine dates back several years when I was deciding for an email address. I chose Athena to honor my Greek heritage and added my birth year since Athena was already taken.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom