Join Early Retirement Today

Other Retirement Websites
Old 01-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Other Retirement Websites

Undoubtedly some members have seen these sites or even highlighted them here, but if so I missed them. One led to the other, and I am sure there are many other worthwhile sites like them, I have seen similar threads in the past.

I read a worthwhile thread on retirement guilt on one of them - anonymous quote below. However, as usual there is clearly no universal answer, so debating guilt is unnecessary IMO. YMMV

The purpose of this thread is simply to share other resources and POVs, again I am NOT hoping to provoke a debate.

Next Avenue

Satisfying Retirement

Quote:
We all need to step back and reassess where our mindset is. I too, am so very grateful to be able to retire and do it at a younger age than most. However, I also agree that choices I made and sacrifices that I made helped to put me in that position. I won't say I "deserved" the good opportunities but am thankful that I was at the right spot at the right time and was willing to do the work to get there and stay there. And we chose to live within our means so this would be possible now. A lot of people aren't making those choices. However, some have not "deserved" the bad luck that their careers have dealt them or had the opportunity put in front of them to be able to have what my family has. I do feel a responsibility to give back and try to build that into my daily life--be it large or small. But no guilt here. Just abundant gratitude for a life I am so enjoying. I also enjoy volunteering and helping others and am so grateful for the many opportunities that I have to now have the time to do so.

But on a different note--which some may view as jaded--but I also hear a lot of others that say they will never be able to retire and lay on the guilt trip. Well, perhaps they won't because they live a very expensive lifestyle. We do not! And we are very happy that way. So, if they can't afford that lifestyle, I am somewhat offended that they are seemingly jealous that we can make it work. And if they continue to be heavily in debt while still buying and buying...then they are probably correct...they will never be able to retire.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Undoubtedly some members have seen these sites or even highlighted them here, but if so I missed them. One led to the other, and I am sure there are many other worthwhile sites like them, I have seen similar threads in the past.

I read a worthwhile thread on retirement guilt on one of them - anonymous quote below. However, as usual there is clearly no universal answer, so debating guilt is unnecessary IMO. YMMV

The purpose of this thread is simply to share other resources and POVs, again I am NOT hoping to provoke a debate.

Next Avenue

Satisfying Retirement

A lot of this is personal. People have the right to live. To breathe. To be however they will with their money. But I think oen can only be expected to look after himself (and for others to whom he is responsible). No one is perfect. No one, throughout life, handles everything ideally. And no one can be 25 years and predict what life will be like 20 or 30 or 40 years later. The late actress Bette Davis said, "Getting old ain't for sissies."
Candy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are no guarantees in life, but perhaps ER, like much scientific discovery, favors the prepared.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #4

Those are some good sites and I have bookmarked both of them and some other places I wandered to from those sites. Thanks for sharing them.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Here's the website of CARP (warning: Canadian content)

Home - Everything Zoomer
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #6

Thanks, Midpack. I like the quote - it sums up pretty much how I feel about ER - and will check out the sites.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There are so many... I will add to this thread as I come across them (history says that will be quite often). Anyway, here is one that is interesting:

Retirement: A Full-Time Job

where you can learn about things like this:

That Daily Shower Can Be a Killer
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

FWIW

There are 5,680 subscribed to Financial Planning: Personal Finance, Frugality, Money, and More!
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLMAN View Post
Should have also included 11,718 on financial independence / early retirement / lifestyle design

Reddit is free but also the wild west so Caveat emptor
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #10

I like this site and its blogs :
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/

And this one also : http://www.learnvest.com/knowledge-c...rement-how-to/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
And this one also : Retirement | LearnVest
Interesting site and deserves further investigation.

Google search

Or, if you don't have time for all that, start here:

Manilla, LearnVest, Mint: Review of the Top Online Banking Tools

Somewhat in this same category (perhaps) is:

https://www.personalcapital.com/
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote