Join Early Retirement Today

Others with an Airbnb/VRBO
Old 10-03-2020, 03:28 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Others with an Airbnb/VRBO

I bought a house on 46 acres in middle Tennessee during covid. Super nice house, got the John Deere tractor too. Also on the property is a very nice 1400 sq ft guest house, 2/2 with large kitchen and living area. Covered porch, etc.

Didn't really "pay" for that house and wasn't sure what to do with it so I turned it into an Airbnb in August, for a nice price and allowing pets.

Much to my shock, it filled up quick and I earned Superhost status this month. It is bringing in around 1700-2000 per month. Since I am onsite, I do the cleaning myself (I am super picky about cleaning so it's easier for me to do it than find someone who will do a good job).

Sort of delightful making an extra 2K that I had not counted on.

Anyone else running an Airbnb or VRBO?
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not me, but my GF does. Just a bedroom, bath and extra room, with private entrance, but she says it's paying her mortgage now. I don't know how much that is. People really enjoy the animals on her 5 acres, plus she's the type who can talk to anyone.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Not me, but my GF does. Just a bedroom, bath and extra room, with private entrance, but she says it's paying her mortgage now. I don't know how much that is. People really enjoy the animals on her 5 acres, plus she's the type who can talk to anyone.
I tend to leave my guests alone, I figure if they picked a guest house on 46 acres they may want privacy. But some guests do want to "meet" the host (me).

I have also made walking trails around the property for people who want to get some exercise or run their dogs.

It's pretty pain free.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishgal View Post
I tend to leave my guests alone, I figure if they picked a guest house on 46 acres they may want privacy. But some guests do want to "meet" the host (me).

I have also made walking trails around the property for people who want to get some exercise or run their dogs.

It's pretty pain free.
Yeah, I'd rather be left alone too. I know if the guests have dogs she likes to make sure they will get along with her dogs, so she can put hers in a separately fenced area if needed. I don't really know if she tries to meet everyone. I know she'll leave them alone if they seem to want that.

The walking trails sound great!
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Yeah, I'd rather be left alone too. I know if the guests have dogs she likes to make sure they will get along with her dogs, so she can put hers in a separately fenced area if needed. I don't really know if she tries to meet everyone. I know she'll leave them alone if they seem to want that.

The walking trails sound great!
Smart to assess the guest's K9s before allowing hers to interact. What many people call "well behaved" I call "not well behaved" lol. Sounds like she's got a good gig going!
Old 10-03-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a friend who does this in her home. It’s gotten more complicated with covid, but she makes a decent amount of extra income with it.

We have a small guest house which is doubling as DH’s office right now. We’ve considered Airbnb as one of our backup plans if we needed extra cash.

My parents have a small one bedroom cottage on their property and trade rent in exchange for extra help around the house. They have several acres and horses, so having an extra pair of hands is nice, especially now that they’re in their 80s.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 12:32 AM   #7

We have an apartment that we use for short term rents, through an agent, in Paris. This year has collapsed, though we’ll break even on running costs at least. But usually it makes a good return. Having a good cleaning crew (unless you really, really like doing it yourself) is an absolute must. Nothing either makes or destroys value more than cleanliness and good repair!
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote