Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While running high school cross country many years ago the runner in front of me stepped in a hornets nest as we were nearing the finish line. He got away clean but I was stung about 30 times. I had them inside my shirt and running shorts! Needless to say that hurt like a M-F'er and I passed several runners ahead of me like they were standing still. That was one of the highest finishes of my X-country career but I was too pissed to enjoy it. I was still picking dead hornets out of my clothes on the bus ride back to school. The stings swelled up and were painful for two days.

Grumpy
grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
While running high school cross country many years ago the runner in front of me stepped in a hornets nest as we were nearing the finish line. He got away clean but I was stung about 30 times. I had them inside my shirt and running shorts! Needless to say that hurt like a M-F'er and I passed several runners ahead of me like they were standing still. That was one of the highest finishes of my X-country career but I was too pissed to enjoy it. I was still picking dead hornets out of my clothes on the bus ride back to school. The stings swelled up and were painful for two days.

Grumpy
Ooooh, that reminds me of when I was body surfing at about age 13 or 14, and got a huge Portuguese Man'O'War tentacle inside the bra part of my swimsuit. Owww!! Nothing I could do about it modestly until I got home, either. I couldn't bear clothing on those very sensitive parts of my anatomy for several days. So embarrassing!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:40 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We had an interesting case at the Ethics committee one time about a HIV positive patient who bit somebody. What can you tell the bitee while respecting the patient's confidentiality? Luckily it turned out that there was no transmission.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:43 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had quite a few 'events' with wasp nests and oddly have never been stung. Perhaps the heat slows them down and makes them feel a bit tired too.

Last summer I was trimming back some shrubs when I noticed a couple of wasps warily circling my head. After checking my 50yd dash speed, I reconnoitered the area and discovered that I'd cut off a 3' chunk of branch with a rather large wasp nest attached and had thrown it over my shoulder onto the walkway.

The next closest I ever got was being awoken in the middle of the night to feel a warm, wet weight on my bare thigh. Half awake, I brushed it away only to come fully awake as I realized I was pushing a half dead rat off my leg, which my 25lb attack cat decided I might want to sleep with.

I really, really wouldnt have wanted the rabies shots for THAT bite...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
...which my 25lb attack cat decided I might want to sleep with.
I really, really wouldnt have wanted the rabies shots for THAT bite...
If you had bitten your cat I'm not sure that it would have survived long enough to make the trip to the vet's anyway!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:44 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
We had an interesting case at the Ethics committee one time about a HIV positive patient who bit somebody. What can you tell the bitee while respecting the patient's confidentiality? Luckily it turned out that there was no transmission.
Oh, yeah. As I recall, few in the states have been charged with attempted murder in such situations, along with an occasional perp who knowingly had unprotected intercourse with countless women while fully aware of his HIV status.

Give me a fox (the animal kind) any day.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Oh, yeah. As I recall, few in the states have been charged with attempted murder in such situations, along with an occasional perp who knowingly had unprotected intercourse with countless women while fully aware of his HIV status.
I used to work at a training command with a large division of HIV-positive sailors who were still fit for duty near major medical care. Every one of them had been required to sign a statement acknowledging their medical status and the possibility of felony prosecution for unprotected distribution of their bodily fluids.

The short-term attitudes of a few of these people led to courts-martial, non-judicial punishments, and administrative discharges that were, to say the least, interesting. I came close to losing it when a Navy lawyer stated, with a straight face, that his client's HIV treatment was causing the urinalysis to show a false positive for crystal methamphetamine.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was bitten by a bunch of fire ants in Florida a few years ago.

The stings hurt like hell for a few hours.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipper View Post
I was bitten by a bunch of fire ants in Florida a few years ago.

The stings hurt like hell for a few hours.
That brought back an old memory.

Back when I was 4 or so, I sat down on a stump that was an ant hill. I have a vague memory of ripping of my clothes while running towards the house screaming for my mother.