Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2021, 07:22 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We never were much on Stuff (other than books), and have fairly aggressively culled after our 3 kids fledged. Nonetheless, we don't have any completely empty rooms in 4200 square feet.... When we downsize to the city, however, it won't be that difficult. Most of our things are for convenience, not necessity. Will need to have a wine cellar in hypothetical new place, and storage for ski and dive gear, but most of our tools, tractor, pickup, library, etc. will be left behind.

(Workout room? It depends; if new place is condo with free weights and cardio equipment, no longer needed....)

Although we are not RVers, multimonth travel with only carry-on bags has trained us well.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2021, 06:14 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I still enjoy my possessions but I am not beholden to them. 99% of them are replaceable, and at this stage in life I can afford to replace them. I am fine with giving away/donating items that I no longer use (e.g. sports equipment for sports I no longer choose to participate in).

Our house is large but I'd still like to reduce the stuff we have. DW and I are closer, but not yet completely, on the same page on this, but I am working on it . Helping me and my siblings clear out my parents house, and seeing how much stuff ended up in the dumpster, opened her eyes more to the reality that our kids will not want or care about 99% of the stuff we have.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:20 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I just realized that the reason I can't quite relate to this type of thread isn't that I'm obsessed with keeping useless things. It's that we use and enjoy the things we have.

So what if there is a lot, and others may not want it? Having gotten rid of a lot of stuff during various moves, I suspect there is a market for darn near anything, if the price is right.

Evidently, many people retain things they do not use, or care to look at, any more?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:29 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Have you checked Ebay to be sure it's worth nothing? (or not the trouble of selling).
It seems to me that when I look for such things online, used, there is usually a stiff price being asked for them.
They certainly will be nicer than anything one could find in the thrift stores - and I know many who shop there, and have shopped there myself.
DW did a little research and determined a lot about the origins, etc. and a clearing house had expressed some interest but overall china is rarely worth too much. Ebay listings tend to be pie in the sky listings (as has been mentioned). For the time being, they are taking up space that wouldn't be used anyway so no harm, no foul.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #45

We went away for the winter to a minimally-furnished but functional rental house. When we returned, my feeling is mostly, “It’s good to be home but look at all this stuff I haven’t even thought about but, nevertheless, we have to take care of.”
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:17 AM   #46

Quote:
So what if there is a lot, and others may not want it? Having gotten rid of a lot of stuff during various moves, I suspect there is a market for darn near anything, if the price is right.
I feel a lot better about our possessions after cleaning out unneeded things when we moved about 18 months ago. Have also emptied my closets and dresser drawers by at least 25% by not buying clothes during the pandemic, though I have had to replace shoes and underwear. My sock supply is getting ragged, though.

I've tended to donate unneeded things, or let my daughter sell them and keep the money, rather than selling them myself. Once she moves back out, post pandemic, we should be able to put two cars in the garage.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I downsized significantly 12 years ago to move to a small apartment near my parents for eldercare. Then five years ago I had to deal with all of their possessions/estate in a 2700 sq ft house. I put the few nice pieces of furniture that I wanted plus many of their cherished possessions (don't know how to get rid of them) plus my remaining goods in 10x15 storage for four years and hit the road, in my van or or overseas.

In 2019/20, tiring of being a nomad, I was seriously house hunting in the US, exploring communities, but didn't pull the trigger as I also want a lock-and-leave lifestyle. Then in fall 2020 (Covid hiding) I took a 6 month lease on a 2BR apartment near my storage unit in Austin, moved everything from the storage unit to BR#2 and began culling and sorting again. And shredding.

New realizations:

* I still don't know how to get rid of many family personal items (eg, my father's chess set from his WW2 days in India).
* I can easily live in about 800 sq feet, with minimal furnishings as long as I have a garage for "projects" and some outdoor space (not just a balcony)
* I am a "maker" at heart: I like making stuff, but not doing home repairs/maint and landscaping (though I do like veggie gardening)
* walking through Home Depot's appliance department last week, i had a strong sense that I simply don't want to re-stock a 1800 sq foot house

And, the less stuff I have in the apartment's living areas the lighter I feel. So....really glad that I didn't buy a house last year.

Now my culled possessions are repacked in three groups:
(1) deep storage, for when I finally have a permanent home;
(2) items for a 1-BR apartment that will fit in a Uhaul trailer in case I want to test new towns with a rental; in storage otherwise
(3) things for vanlife and/or overseas travel.

I will hit the road in my van again in April, fully vaccinated!
BarbWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbWire View Post
And, the less stuff I have in the apartment's living areas the lighter I feel. So....really glad that I didn't buy a house last year.

Now my culled possessions are repacked in three groups:
(1) deep storage, for when I finally have a permanent home;
(2) items for a 1-BR apartment that will fit in a Uhaul trailer in case I want to test new towns with a rental; in storage otherwise
(3) things for vanlife and/or overseas travel.

I will hit the road in my van again in April, fully vaccinated!
+1

You are an inspiration!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #49

When we married in 2007, we each lived in 1800 sq ft homes. We bought a new 1400 sq ft home and really had to downsize. DW had 2 sons and a huge accumulation of stuff.

She had her patio full 3 times for Goodwill to pick up. I sold all our collectibles on eBay. I took a lot of stuff to work for the production people.
The rest was either given away or went to Goodwill.
We have a 9 by 12 shed which has 4 big tubs of DW's stuff that she said her children will sort through.The shed also has the few tools I need, and is also used as a pantry.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:54 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbWire View Post
* I still don't know how to get rid of many family personal items
This is a tough one. I've already faced it with many items and I will face it again when it comes time to clean out my cousin's house. I have things that were my father's when in was in the Army, for example. My cousin has his mother's rings (she died in 1976). Other than taking up space, these sorts of items serve absolutely no purpose. At least the jewelry is of some value and can be sold. A lot of the stuff really isn't worth anything at all.
disneysteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

We FIRE'd, sold our house and of our all stuff in 2008 to live and travel on a sailboat. We had planned this, so had been keeping things at a minimum (old cars, small house), but there was still an amazing amount of stuff accumulated.

It was a liberating feeling to downsize... no storage unit, everything we own is onboard. It was a bit weird to throw out personal items (like yearbooks), but had just gone through that at work where years of a career went into the shredder box. Craigslist and an estate sale took care of all of the rest. We were giving things away in the end, glasses, coats, anything that didn't sell.

Books were hard to part with in particular, but by that time all music and books were going onto the Kindle and iPod. Now, our most important possessions include our computers and hobbies (guitar, camera gear) and tools for all of the boat work - Lol. Galley items are my main indulgence since cooking is also a hobby. Minimal clothes needed.

It's fair to say that we are naturally minimalistic and prioritize experiences, not that I don't like to have stuff. I know that I am that much more grateful for what I do have.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

What is keeping you from throwing them away? Or putting them up on an online marketplace for free?

My mother had stuff, some of it beloved by us for sentimental/aesthetic reasons, but nothing of any monetary value. If my sister and I didn't want something, we offered it to each other and then threw it away.

A few years after she died, I realized I didn't have the same attachment to some odds and ends that I used to, so I threw them away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Other than taking up space, these sorts of items serve absolutely no purpose. At least the jewelry is of some value and can be sold. A lot of the stuff really isn't worth anything at all.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:46 PM   #53

Quote:
What is keeping you from throwing them away? Or putting them up on an online marketplace for free?

My mother had stuff, some of it beloved by us for sentimental/aesthetic reasons, but nothing of any monetary value. If my sister and I didn't want something, we offered it to each other and then threw it away.
It's a great question. I guess I've been focusing my decluttering efforts on the easy stuff, setting aside the sentimental items to deal with last once most everything else is cleaned out.
disneysteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I think that's perfectly normal and sensible. It takes a while to pull the "do I really want this thing" apart from the love you had for the departed owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
It's a great question. I guess I've been focusing my decluttering efforts on the easy stuff, setting aside the sentimental items to deal with last once most everything else is cleaned out.
Old 03-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

In preparation for FIRE (I launched two days ago ) in 2020 I sold a 2100 sq foot home and most all possessions including DGM’s clock, custom furniture, yearbooks from middle school high school and college, art, antiques, china, etc. The selling process occurred before COVID thanks goodness, and I was amazed at what turned into a bidding war and what turned into me just giving away or selling waaaaaay below resale/replacement value. It did make me happy that some really good pieces of furniture were purchased by some young couples just starting out. They got great deals and I had less stuff to deal with.

Now I’m settled into a furnished apt but finding I “need” things: the bedroom only has an overhead light, so I bought two lamps for the nightstands; the plates and glassware were not my style at all so I bought new dishes. It could be soooo easy to begin re accumulating items so for now I really have to convince myself of the utility of an item. One item I did buy was a printer as my home office printer was property of MegaCorp. I certainly don’t print everyday or even every week, but I like the convenience of it versus going to a UPS store to print personal items.

DM has a house and shed FULL of stuff. Luckily DB and I see eye to eye on it and really just want to get rid of most items except for some photo albums.
ATX78701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:54 PM   #56
Dryer sheet aficionado

My DW just retired and I am very close to retiring. Me, I like my work and feel it is fulfilling to work as an OT, yet working for corporate health care not so much. We sold our large home with a big yard and bought a townhome in the same community, Pittsburgh metro area. We have a low HOA fee $125/mo and no maintenance outside. DW has read 11 books since Jan 1, learning to play piano, and crochets. Me, I play fiddle, a little banjo, Appalachian style, and learning guitar. I hope to start learning stone carving, participate in a paleontology dig, and travel (grandson in TX, 16 months old). Time is important!
Jakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:26 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
As an avid DIY'er, I have (according to my wife) more tools than anyone.

Any excuse to buy a new tool is a good excuse - Man Law

So, we have 3 new sheds to contain our "stuff" and organize and de-clutter and soon I will have a new (well used but functional) boat on the Delta. No doubt some boating supplies, fishing...

Yup. Not downsizing my stuff. Upsizing -
I'm with RobbieB on this subject. I have been living in an old motor home for the last 8 years or so and will be happy to accumulate some stuff as I finish my house. I never got rid of any woodworking equipment or tools and they have been set up in the garage in the house for several years as I have built the place around them. I have been wanting to buy a new pickup and an ATV for quite some time too. That should happen once I completely move into the house. Looking forward to some more stuff.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Several years ago I left my pack rat wife and hoarder B-I-L, emptied the house...3 dumpster loads and an overhaul cleaning later I moved on to my new minimalist life with a focus on experiences, not stuff.

Whew, what a freaking RELIEF!
What a HUGE lesson learned!
ddoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
not to change the subject but how long do you keep your tax returns? I have them back about 15 years.

About a year ago, I went through a bunch of papers. I threw away my 1970 tax return. H&R Block charged me $3.00 to do my taxes. I made $300.00! I was 15 years old.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

But Why not drink from nice glasses? You only live once. I have lived a very minimalist lifestyle, with nonmatching dishes and silverware my whole adult life, and I actually enjoy nice dishes and glasses!
LastBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote