Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2022, 08:12 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I’m sorry for your heartbreak Scuba. We went through a very similar situation five years ago. However, the memories are fresh and we laugh over the good times and we smile at the memories we had with our best buddy. Memories live forever.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2022, 08:16 AM   #22

I’m sorry for your loss. We had a dog for 15 years and I couldn’t believe how much it hurt to put her down and be without her. Knowing you did the right thing doesn’t help much, but rest assured, you did the right thing. Waiting until some future time would not make the decision any easier and the dog was clearly suffering. Wishing you well as you process this change in your life. No doubt, this stuff hurts. Take care.
Old 04-13-2022, 08:33 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Truly a painful experience. I'm sorry your heart is breaking. I used to (still do) see images of other dogs that look like my loved ones that passed. We've had dogs our entire marriage (38 years). They live in your heart forever. They understand love. Be happy and know you did everything you could. I still tear up when I think of our first dog.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:46 AM   #24

Scuba, so sorry for your loss.

We went through this last summer. It was so painful, but it does get a little better with time. I think about her often and now it's with a smile and a nod.
Old 04-13-2022, 09:50 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Hugs to you, the loss of our pets is a big heartache.
You did the right thing. Our last dog was aggressive due to pain also, and needed to be put down earlier than we hoped.
Our current guy is getting close to that decision. It's a tough one, but one we do out of love.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:02 AM   #26

Sorry for your loss. It is the hardest thing to do showing your love at the end of the pet's life. BTDT too many times myself over the years. Time helps the hurting.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:12 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Scuba, so sorry to hear about your loss. It is very difficult to know when to put pets down. It sounds like you made the right call.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 10:19 AM   #28

So sad when it's their time, the loss creates such a huge hole in your life for a while.
I've gone through this three times in the last 3 years, 2 GS dogs and a 17 yr old cat and it still hurts bad when i see photos of them.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 11:21 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I still miss every one of my many pets. I keep their ashes, and I want my ashes mixed with theirs when the time comes.

Our pets count on us to do the right things for them. It sounds like you did...all the way to the end. They would do the same for us if they could.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:32 AM   #30

So sorry for your loss but you did the right thing for sure. My eyes tear up a bit thinking to the time nearly 9 years ago that we had to make that difficult decision for out last dog (aged 14 with cancer and failing kidneys.) It was so hard at the time - he was our first pet - and those last minutes of life with him are seared into my memory but I know we did the right thing. Our current dog turns 8 in June and I'm thinking how time flies for us all!
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:07 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

It is the hardest part of pet ownership. We lost our girl 2 years ago and every time I see her picture, my heart breaks a little all over again. She was 14 and had lymphoma, so we had time to prepare, but it still wasn't easy, yet it was the right thing to do.

On the bright side, we did everything we could to make her happy and she returned the favor. She had a good life. I'm sure you did the same.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:16 PM   #32

Scuba, I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 04-13-2022, 06:23 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Hug
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:30 PM   #34

I will let our rescue pup, Teddy, sleep on my bed tonight instead of besides me.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 06:31 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I am sorry. Losing a pet is such a difficult loss. One doesn’t understand how heart-wrenching it is until one goes through the experience. It hurts deeply. I will say your feelings of guilt are normal. Can’t tell you how many times I and my husband second guessed ourselves… is now the time? Should we wait? Did we wait too long? Stressful. It is not always clear cut. You did the best you could for him, that is clear. And you did the right thing.
gattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 09:18 PM   #36
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss, Scuba. I have put down 4 cats so far, and I can tell you this - I waited too long every time and made them suffer unnecessarily, because I didn't want to let them go. Take comfort in the fact that you knew your dog and did what was right for him.
Old 04-13-2022, 10:38 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Scuba, so sorry for your loss.
We had to put our sweet 8 year old lab down because of cancer. It was one of the hardest things we ever had to do. I feel your pain, but it sounds like you did the right thing. The hurt lessens over time, but the memories last a lifetime.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 05:10 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I still miss every one of our furry friends who are no longer with us. Thank goodness we have the option of euthanasia so that they do not suffer as much.

Bless you Scuba as you mourn. Soon the great memories will crowd out the loss.

It took a while, but I eventually looked at pictures and videos of our various pampered pets and was amazed that my sadness had been replaced by joy. I'm sure you will remember the good times.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 06:18 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I too feel your loss. We had 2 wonderful little girls that thought they were sisters even though they weren't. They were 3 months apart in age, and totally different. One Shipoo and one Shitzu. We lost them within 6 months of each other and so far my DW says she still isn't ready to try it again. so we just muddle on in our doggyless life!
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 07:29 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry for your loss. I lost my 16 year old Kitty in January. The vet assured me he was not in pain. He died at home with me with him. Even though I spent thousands on his care I still feel guilty thinking there must have been more I could have done.