Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2019, 09:10 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I doubt one can go to far wrong with the RAV4, CR-V or Outback. I will also toss in the Forrester for consideration.
Have you considered the Mazda CX-5? It gets very good reviews.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #42
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I would be hesitant to buy any Subaru in our region. The closest dealer is 90 minutes away, and he's not a very large operation....
They are ubiquitous here in New England.

Quote:
Where is the land of the Subarus? There are four states where Subaru rules the road. You can probably guess which ones. More Subarus are sold in Washington, Colorado, Maine and Connecticut than any other states. Not just more Subarus, but they are the number one selling car in their borders.
https://www.torquenews.com/1084/why-...these-4-states

See also https://www.iseecars.com/most-subaru...ate-2016-study
Old 08-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The CRV got a new turbocharged engine that has owners finding gas in their oil... its bad.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:13 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

We have two Priuses. My wife drives a Prius gen3, and I drive a Prius plug-in [charged from our household solar power system]. Here in Maine a Prius is near ideal. They do great in the snow, and for crossing frozen river ice.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Have you considered the Mazda CX-5? It gets very good reviews.
I'll take a look at it later today. Thanks.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #46

Of the OP's original listing, the RAV4...but only the hybrid.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

If I throw a stone it will hit a couple of Subies. Of course it's probably going to bounce off a Wrangler or two.

OP if you're really concerned about traction the Subaru beats the others on your list for that category. Most of the other SUVs are pretty limited in heavyweight traction delivery. I pulled out several last year, snowpacked roads and a little downhill, they sit and spin both axels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #48
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
FWIW, a good friend of mine has a CR-V daily driver and loves it. However, he installed a makeshift drivers side armrest a little higher up because he too was very uncomfortable with the location of the factory armrest. He’s kinda lazy, so for him to go to the effort, the factory armrest had to be pretty awful...
Thanks. I've thought about that too except DW is primary driver & she detests armrests in general. Nonetheless, outside that feature it's fantastic.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:02 PM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
The CRV got a new turbocharged engine that has owners finding gas in their oil... its bad.
Is this still happening 2+ years later? It did happen on a quite low % of CR-V's in our coldest winters states only on 2017's but I thought was corrected/repaired/replaced. No?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Of the OP's original listing, the RAV4...but only the hybrid.
+1, test drove one awhile back and was duly impressed. They seem to go off the lot as soon as the arrive at the dealer. Good reviews all around on the hybrid model.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:48 AM   #51

DW had a 2005 C-RV she ran the wheels off of but I ruled out the 2019 C-RV based on what I'd read about the engine oil issue. Didn't want to deal with that, and frankly a software patch to "fix" that problem seemed iffy at best to me.

We both still love DW's new Forester. I'm of average height but have size 14 feet and the Forester accommodates me very well. I still have some room to put the seat back even further if I were taller.

Around here the Forester seems to be quite popular with the silver-haired set for whatever reason.

YMMV (pun intended)
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
If I throw a stone it will hit a couple of Subies. Of course it's probably going to bounce off a Wrangler or two.

OP if you're really concerned about traction the Subaru beats the others on your list for that category. Most of the other SUVs are pretty limited in heavyweight traction delivery. I pulled out several last year, snowpacked roads and a little downhill, they sit and spin both axels.
That's a problem with the tires, not the vehicle itself. Many of the tires car factories put on mainstream cars and trucks are pretty weak in terms of general performance. They like to minimize rolling resistance to boost economy ratings -- but rolling resistance and traction go hand in hand.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We bought an Outback in 2017 and love it.
+1 We chose the Outback over the Forester because of the longer wheelbase. The Outback is a great road car and the seats are very comfortable. I rode with a friend on a ~2 1/2 hour trip in his Audi Q5 on Friday and the seats were very uncomfortable... not something that I would have expected from that class of car.

FWIW, we have ordered our last two vehicles... we have been able to get the car just as we wanted it. The cars on dealer's lots often have trim levels and/or options that are not good values for us.

Finally, I really like the paddle shifters on the Outback. Almost 50k miles and all we have done so far is oil changes, cabin and engine air filter changes, tire rotations and replaced the tires.

We get just a tad under 30 mpg in mixed driving with the 4 cylinder. I was apprehensive about the normally aspirated 4-cyl after having a 4-cyl turbo... it isn't any speed rocket but it does have enough acceleration to get out of its own way and has been fine in terms of driving.... rarely seems underpowered.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #54
Administrator

One thing to keep in mind when comparing the various brands is that Subaru comes with AWD standard. It is optional for the Honda (+$1400) and the Toyota (+$1300).
Old 08-28-2019, 08:29 AM   #55

I don't own a CRV, but did have it on my list to consider. Let me just say do your homework. Seems there is a persistent issue with battery dieing on that vehicle after sitting for several days. Read user reviews, has been there and is still mentioned in recent reviews as an issue. I've crossed it off my list, too many other options to deal with this type of issue. I can't imagine going on a flight or cruise and worrying if my car would start when I got back.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
DW had a 2005 C-RV she ran the wheels off of but I ruled out the 2019 C-RV based on what I'd read about the engine oil issue. Didn't want to deal with that, and frankly a software patch to "fix" that problem seemed iffy at best to me.

(pun intended)
The CR-V oil/gas problem was only on the Turbo engine, IIRC. Correct?

If I purchased a CR-V it would be the regular four, not the Turbo. However, how Honda handled the problem concerns me. My gut impressions is that they were not up-front and tried to shmooze there way through it.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #57

Quote:
The CR-V oil/gas problem was only on the Turbo engine, IIRC. Correct?
I believe so. Only the base model is non-turbo.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:59 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

The more I look into this the more I think my choice will be a RAV4 or the Outback. Maybe a Forester.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:53 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The more I look into this the more I think my choice will be a RAV4 or the Outback. Maybe a Forester.
Honestly I don't see how you could go wrong with any of these three! Maybe it's time to start going on test drives.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Finally, I really like the paddle shifters on the Outback.
If you have a manual trans, no need to read further.

If you have an auto trans I have to ask, and I drive an Outback myself. Mine has a CVT transmission (that’s all they’ve used since 2008) so there are no gears and I dismissed the paddle shifters as a marketing gimmick. When I asked the dealer, he seemed to agree it was a gimmick. I’ve accidentally hit a paddle and “shifted” a couple times but I couldn’t tell anything different and it goes back to its own CVT routine shortly thereafter anyway. What am I missing?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
outback cr-v, prius, rav 4