Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-13-2018, 09:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Did you brine first?
Brined and rested prior to smoking.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2018, 05:03 AM   #22

Another BGE user here. Extremely happy with it, and it gets used constantly. At least a couple of times a week, all year round.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:24 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a Cajun Injector electric smoker. Works great, but you have to know that the thermostats on electric smokers generally suck pretty bad, so you need a separate thermometer. I use the Thermoworks Dot, which has a removable probe, so you can use two probes, one for the meat and one for the oven. you should really do this anyway, no matter what type of smoker you are using.
BTW, 225-240 degrees F is plenty hot for smoking most meats, isn't it? What do you smoke that you need it hotter than that?
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:27 AM   #24

I have a Charbroil smoker that works very well and use pellets with it, usually a mixture of mesquite & cherry. I also use a Thermopro TP-12 wireless thermometer which gives me internal temperature of the meat. Best to smoke to an internal temp.
I use a tart cherry juice (I put garlic cloves in it and leave in the fridge) to inject the meat a day or 2 before smoking. Then use a rub.
What are yall favorite rubs? Homemade or store bought?
Old 12-14-2018, 06:51 AM   #25

I frequent this site. Recipes, science, and product recommendations...

https://amazingribs.com
Old 12-14-2018, 07:22 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Well three or four of you pointed to amazingribs.com. Thanks for the pointer! I may get lost there. Nice.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:49 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

For colder outdoor temps, I've seen people buy a welding carbon-felt blanket to wrap around their appliances. Example: https://www.amazon.com/Tillman-Heavy...ustomerReviews
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Well three or four of you pointed to amazingribs.com. Thanks for the pointer! I may get lost there. Nice.
I meant to mention that I like his "Memphis Dust" recipe for pork ribs and pork shoulders. He uses something different for beef, BTW,,

enjoy the site, and yes, you can get lost. And if you want more, he has a paid subscription kind of thing with more info. I haven't bitten yet, but I'd bet it's worth the few bucks.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
I meant to mention that I like his "Memphis Dust" recipe for pork ribs and pork shoulders.
+1
I always have Memphis Dust on hand. Easy to make and great on pork.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:02 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

OK, a few additional comments to follow my post #5.

In NC, you know what BBQ is. Some comments here are a little mixed up; steaks and burgers do not involve BBQ, cooking them is "grilling."

Many products that are basically grills can also be used for bbq, but like a Leatherman multi-tool, they are not optimum for all the jobs they can be made to do. For example, I could bbq in MY 22" Weber kettle but it is IMO a crude tool with little capacity. My pellet smokers are the right tool for bbq.

Ceramic grills like the heavily and successfully promoted BGE can also be used for bbq in the same way the Weber kettles can. BGE is the most expensive AFIK but there are others that look to me to be just as good. I see few or no ceramic cookers at bbq competitions. Ditto few or no Weber grills.

There is a class of smokers that are basically round and tall. The Weber Smoky Mountain is one. Others are based on 30 or 55 gallon steel drums, sometimes called UDS ("ugly drum smoker") These are very popular on the bbq comp circuit IMO primarily because they are fairly cheap. The can turn out excellent 'cue but I will never own one because I don't want to hassle with moving and removing grates to get to the fire and the hassle of sometimes having to hang meat because the grates are too small diameter to take it otherwise. Others, obviously, don't see this as an unacceptable hassle. Zealots abound.

In NC you should not need an insulating blanket, but the cheap ticket is a $15 moving blanket from Home Depot. At 225deg smoking temps it works fine. I learned the hard way, though, that if you get the cooker up to searing temperature the cheap HD blanket will burn!

You will probably read a lot about temperature control. Manufacturers and aftermarket controls sellers like to make a big deal of this but it is really not. Other than the surface, the mass of the meat never sees temperature swings; it is heating and cooking based on the long term average. So as long as the temp doesn't get so high that it physically affects the surface it is no big deal. There are many passionate debates about this on the BBQ Brethren forum but I have never seen a single claim that temperature excursions have affected the actual cooked product. Some cooks, however, seem to go crazy if they see +/- 20deg. YMMV.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #31

OP here. Thanks all!!!

I am leaning towards a pellet smoker. I have a Weber kettle that can step up when needed for straight grilling. Traeger has some pretty good competition since the patent(s) expired, so will give the higher rated ones (including Traeger) some tire kicking.

BTW, 225-240 degrees F is plenty hot for smoking most meats, isn't it? What do you smoke that you need it hotter than that?

Unless I stuff the offset firebox with an inordinate amount of coals, it runs 190-200 when cold out. Even with a cauldron going, it tops out around 225. I add an insulated pad to help. Like others, I don't care to babysit that much. Monitor and adjust, no problem. Fuss incessantly to maintain temp? Nah, time to move on.

FWIW, I'm a two probe guy. One for the critters and one for the cooking chamber. 'Que and such is way too important to use any of the SWAG methods of estimation.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
OK, a few additional comments to follow my post #5.

In NC, you know what BBQ is. Some comments here are a little mixed up; steaks and burgers do not involve BBQ, cooking them is "grilling."

Many products that are basically grills can also be used for bbq, but like a Leatherman multi-tool, they are not optimum for all the jobs they can be made to do. For example, I could bbq in MY 22" Weber kettle but it is IMO a crude tool with little capacity. My pellet smokers are the right tool for bbq.

Ceramic grills like the heavily and successfully promoted BGE can also be used for bbq in the same way the Weber kettles can. BGE is the most expensive AFIK but there are others that look to me to be just as good. I see few or no ceramic cookers at bbq competitions. Ditto few or no Weber grills.

There is a class of smokers that are basically round and tall. The Weber Smoky Mountain is one. Others are based on 30 or 55 gallon steel drums, sometimes called UDS ("ugly drum smoker") These are very popular on the bbq comp circuit IMO primarily because they are fairly cheap. The can turn out excellent 'cue but I will never own one because I don't want to hassle with moving and removing grates to get to the fire and the hassle of sometimes having to hang meat because the grates are too small diameter to take it otherwise. Others, obviously, don't see this as an unacceptable hassle. Zealots abound.

In NC you should not need an insulating blanket, but the cheap ticket is a $15 moving blanket from Home Depot. At 225deg smoking temps it works fine. I learned the hard way, though, that if you get the cooker up to searing temperature the cheap HD blanket will burn!

You will probably read a lot about temperature control. Manufacturers and aftermarket controls sellers like to make a big deal of this but it is really not. Other than the surface, the mass of the meat never sees temperature swings; it is heating and cooking based on the long term average. So as long as the temp doesn't get so high that it physically affects the surface it is no big deal. There are many passionate debates about this on the BBQ Brethren forum but I have never seen a single claim that temperature excursions have affected the actual cooked product. Some cooks, however, seem to go crazy if they see +/- 20deg. YMMV.
Thanks for summarizing all the reasons I'm leaning towards a pellet unit.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:20 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
BGE is the most expensive AFIK but there are others that look to me to be just as good. I see few or no ceramic cookers at bbq competitions.
That's probably a geographical thing. I see plenty of BGEs at the KCBS competitions where I judge. Most often they're the XXL size, but even the Large size is used quite a bit. Actually, the variety of cookers at competitions is staggering. From the smallest and simplest rigs all the way up to gigantic mobile installations costing probably north of $200K.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
... Actually, the variety of cookers at competitions is staggering. From the smallest and simplest rigs all the way up to gigantic mobile installations costing probably north of $200K.
Yes. I like that because it means that it's the cook, not the cooker that matters. And that there is no need to chase the perfect cooker; almost any of them can turn out excellent food.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a couple of BGE's and couldn't imagine using anything else. An XL and a Mini Max. Versatile and fits my needs perfectly.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
OP here. Thanks all!!!

I am leaning towards a pellet smoker. I have a Weber kettle that can step up when needed for straight grilling. Traeger has some pretty good competition since the patent(s) expired, so will give the higher rated ones (including Traeger) some tire kicking.
The thing I’ve always wondered about a pellet smoker is, how to you regulate the smoke? Since you’re burning pellets, I don’t see how you limit the smoke. Personally, I just like a touch of smoke. I cook on a Weber smoker and use hardwood charcoal and a chunk or two of wood. Very little.

As for the ability to cook in the cold, scroll down to the bottom of the page on the link below:

Cooking In The Wind, Rain & Cold - The Virtual Weber Bullet

No blanket on that smoker.

Personally, I’d get something to modify the Weber grill, assuming you have a 22” or larger model, and use that to smoke. Of course, if you just want a new toy, go for it.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #37

Okay, I have a confession to make. I own a BGE. I use it for everything. I also have a built in Kitchen Aid grill that I never use (It came with the house). Earlier this week I wanted to cold smoke homemade sausage. So, I built a smoker. Yes, its a cardboard box. Worked well. The temperature never exceeded 100 degrees. My DW was ashamed and made me hide it. Total grill cost, about $12. The look on my DW's face, priceless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smoker.jpg (58.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Sausage.jpg (101.4 KB, 6 views)
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintnational View Post
I own a BGE. I use it for everything.... Earlier this week I wanted to cold smoke homemade sausage. So, I built a smoker. Yes, its a cardboard box. Worked well.
Great job on that. Here's another idea. A few years ago, for a few bucks and a few common hardware store items, I built a cold smoker attachment for my BGE:
Cold Smoking With a Paint Can

I've used it quite a bit and it's really easy. Great for smoking cheese.

I don't use it quite so much anymore, since I found this other nifty gadget:
A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER

Just put it in the bottom of the BGE and light it. You can get up to 12 hours of smoke with virtually no temperature rise. I've started using this for my bacon.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #39

^^Thanks for both links. While I visit the nakedwhiz site, I had not seen his BGE cold smoker idea.

ETA: I am ordering the pellet smoker insert. Perfect. You may have saved our marriage.
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

DYI boxes are always interesting. On TV, I've seen some interesting conversions of old commercial appliances (metal inside and out, not plastic) repurposed for smokers. Really nice work because the guy was handy with a welder.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote