Outstanding obituary

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
Classic obituary written by his daughter: Obituary for Harry Stamps
He had a life-long love affair with deviled eggs, Lane cakes, boiled peanuts, Vienna [Vi-e-na] sausages on saltines, his homemade canned fig preserves, pork chops, turnip greens, and buttermilk served in martini glasses garnished with cornbread.
Harry traveled extensively. He only stayed in the finest quality AAA-rated campgrounds
He particularly hated Day Light Saving Time, which he referred to as The Devil’s Time. It is not lost on his family that he died the very day that he would have had to spring his clock forward. This can only be viewed as his final protest.

Another forum I visit (gardenweb) just posted this. Love it! It is obviously written by someone who treasured him very much. I wish more obits would be like this.

I only hope when the Angels (or whatever) come to carry me to my judgment day, that I go out with an obituary half as nice.
Prof12

That's great. I think I'll get started on my own eulogy in case I get hit by a truck.

The entire obit is brilliant. How lucky that family was/is to have one another.

That is a great obit. and well worth reading the whole darn thing.

Finally, the family asks that in honor of Harry that you write your Congressman and ask for the repeal of Day Light Saving Time. Harry wanted everyone to get back on the Lord’s Time.

Fantastic close.

That's great. I think I'll get started on my own eulogy in case I get hit by a truck.

Did that... buried in my computer under title "who.txt", as it will never be read. Recommend that everyone take the time to do this. Your own "Harry Stamps" story.

Liked the "fill in the blanks" analogy, and do believe it would be an interesting exercise for the bereavement luncheons in our community, which are celebrations of life.

Blind men and an elephant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us To see oursels as ithers see us!" ~ Robert Burns

I wonder if the author is available for requests. I'd like an obit like that :)

Thanks. I'm an obituary junkie, I always enjoy a great obituary, especially for a fellow Mississippian. This is the the obituary as printed in the Clarion Ledger, the newspaper of record for Mississippi. Clarion Ledger obituaries are very expensive. Many survivors don't place obituaries in the Clarion Ledger because of the cost. Mr. Stamps obituary has been scaled down somewhat, but it's more useful for genealogists.

Harry W. Stamps Obituary: View Harry Stamps's Obituary by Clarion Ledger

In my opinion, the very finest obituaries are on the final page of each issue of The Economist. The deceased are often people whose names the casual observer would not know. Yet they all lived immensely interesting lives. More that once, I have greatly regretted that I never met the person while he or she was alive. And every one of these obituaries is written with that delightfully understated, mordant British sense of humor. My life goal is to end up there.

He particularly hated Day Light Saving Time, which he referred to as The Devil’s Time. It is not lost on his family that he died the very day that he would have had to spring his clock forward. This can only be viewed as his final protest.

I agree with Harry 100%. The coming of DST was almost enough to kill me. I've been in a funk since Sunday. :mad:

That was a fine obit. Mine could be pretty simple though. Something like........He hated work, but enjoyed his med's. That pretty much sums it up.

In my opinion, the very finest obituaries are on the final page of each issue of The Economist. The deceased are often people whose names the casual observer would not know. Yet they all lived immensely interesting lives. More that once, I have greatly regretted that I never met the person while he or she was alive. And every one of these obituaries is written with that delightfully understated, mordant British sense of humor. My life goal is to end up there.

+1
It's often the first thing I read in the issue each week.

I wonder if the author is available for requests. I'd like an obit like that :)

Me too. Obviously one of the daughters wrote it. Only she could appreciate the merits (know about the details) of being able to select the appropriate hammer for her well stocked tool box.
It was a one of a kind work of love / humor that I am glad to have had the opportunity to read.

Don't forget to put aside a lot of money to run a long obit - I calculate it was over $100 a column inch when I wrote my mom's. Appallingly expensive - $800 or something like that so it wasn't as long as I wanted... :(

Nicely crafted obit, thanks for the link. We should all be so lucky to live a life that ends (many, many years from now :eek:) with an obit like that written about us...

I love DST! Nice, long warm days... sweet. :dance:
I wish we were on "summer time" all year long. Would make the short winter days better.

+1. I disagree with Harry on many aspects but I respect how he lived his life and that someone gave a crap that he was gone. We should all be so blessed.;)

Back
Top Bottom