Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If it is just the turntable, it should be a simple repair. google "microwave turntable motor", replacements are ~$30.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post
If it is just the turntable, it should be a simple repair. google "microwave turntable motor", replacements are ~$30.
Have you ever done this before?

From what I'm reading the steps seem simple.

How to replace a turntable motor

But I'll leave that up to the professionals is it's the "the capacitor can kill you" part that I don't want to mess with
Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I got the Micro-Go-Round thing from Amazon today and tried it out. I like the winder. The speed on unwinding really isn't too much slower than the turntable of my microwave.

Looks like I have another thing "to do" each morning .
Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Have you ever done this before?

From what I'm reading the steps seem simple.

How to replace a turntable motor

But I'll leave that up to the professionals is it's the "the capacitor can kill you" part that I don't want to mess with
Sometimes it pays to let the pro do it . The OTR models are easier as the motor is usually located in its own compartment under the " dangerous " stuff. Just drop the lower panel to access the motor. The counter top models you have disassemble and that exposes the HV components.

A lot of the cheaper units don't even have a turntable, and I used one for years without it, so you may even need one.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sometimes it pays to let the pro do it . The OTR models are easier as the motor is usually located in its own compartment under the " dangerous " stuff. Just drop the lower panel to access the motor. The counter top models you have disassemble and that exposes the HV components.

A lot of the cheaper units don't even have a turntable, and I used one for years without it, so you may even need one.
So, for the OTR, just unplugging and the working on changing the motor from the bottom should be fine?

I did look at Amazon and it looks like plenty of folks just changed the motor claiming it's only about a 5-10 minute job.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:28 AM   #26

I had an over-the-range microwave + vent hood in my townhouse. I found it convenient to use, but the glass tray cracked and the replacement cost of just the tray was more than an entire new countertop microwave. Fortunately I found a tray the right size at the thrift store before selling the townhouse. I don't ever plan to buy another combo microwave-vent hood; instead I'll get a freestanding microwave on an under-the cupboard shelf and (when I get around to kitchen re-vamp), maybe a downdraft vented range.

I usually just use the micro for steaming single servings of fish or veggies, re-heating dinner or tea and making microwave popcorn, not for serious cooking.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I did look at Amazon and it looks like plenty of folks just changed the motor claiming it's only about a 5-10 minute job.
One thing I always do when thinking about repairing something is search the internet for a manual, not the owners manual but the service manual. It will tell you exactly how to fix it with precautions and warnings. You can usually find them in PDF format. Most things can be fixed with a screwdriver and pliers, if it requires special tools, then maybe let someone else do it.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Most things can be fixed with a screwdriver and pliers hammer, if it requires special tools, then maybe let someone else do it.
FIFY

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I had an over-the-range microwave + vent hood in my townhouse. I found it convenient to use, but the glass tray cracked and the replacement cost of just the tray was more than an entire new countertop microwave. Fortunately I found a tray the right size at the thrift store before selling the townhouse. I don't ever plan to buy another combo microwave-vent hood; instead I'll get a freestanding microwave on an under-the cupboard shelf and (when I get around to kitchen re-vamp), maybe a downdraft vented range.

I usually just use the micro for steaming single servings of fish or veggies, re-heating dinner or tea and making microwave popcorn, not for serious cooking.

Just as and FYI, we have a downdraft vented range and I do not like it that much... when there is a lot of smoke etc., it does not get it all...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Just as and FYI, we have a downdraft vented range and I do not like it that much... when there is a lot of smoke etc., it does not get it all...
The micro-hood didn't get it all either. I was forever setting off the smoke alarm just making a stir-fry or something. I don't recall definitely, but I don't think the plain vent hood I had in my house before the townhouse got all smoke either. Maybe I just "smoke" too much!
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #31

Holy wavelength Batman! It lasted ten years? Are you sure you don't want to treat yourself to a new kitchen? No? Then pony up and get a new replacement, I vote for saving the counterspace.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe
Holy wavelength Batman! It lasted ten years? Are you sure you don't want to treat yourself to a new kitchen? No? Then pony up and get a new replacement, I vote for saving the counterspace.
Now Joe, I maybe a tightwad, but my overhead microwave is turning 10 this year, and I still consider it an adolescent. It gets more use than my stove, dishwasher combined. It better have 20 more years left in it! I have been fortunate with appliances and TV's. I can't remember any of them ever breaking on me. The key for me has been to by the cheapest product, as they never seem to breakdown for some reason. I bought my original stove, dishwasher, and fridge for $990 combined and they work like the first day I bought them. Since the contractor put my overhead in, I can't imagine he spent a penny more than he had to on it.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #33

I just can't bear the thought of this unfortunate person having to rotate the food, or wind up a turntable. Now Mulligan, not everyone has the touch of Midas and has their appliances last over ten years. I'm trying to help by comparing a new microwave to a new kitchen and here you are making the OP feel bad. BTW, any lottery numbers you can recommend? Just 6 numbers... 1 through 55.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe View Post
I just can't bear the thought of this unfortunate person having to rotate the food, or wind up a turntable. Now Mulligan, not everyone has the touch of Midas and has their appliances last over ten years. I'm trying to help by comparing a new microwave to a new kitchen and here you are making the OP feel bad. BTW, any lottery numbers you can recommend? Just 6 numbers... 1 through 55.

Thanks for the help. But the wind up thingy that I've got actually seems to work very well. One wind up lasts for 30 minutes of rotate time. I'm not a person that using the microwave for all my meals so this really doesn't lead to too much winding. Plus, I like kitchen gadgets.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Best of luck with the wind-up toy.

Our house was year 2000 New Construction with a GE OTR microwave.

The magnetron (cooking energy generator thingy) died in ~2011.

Got a drop-in replacement made by LG for under $200. Same wattage, same color, better warranty than was offered by a replacement GE model.

Mounting to the wall and connecting the vents was a non-issue. These things appear to be somewhat standardized.

I would not fear replacing your old unit with a new OTR unit when the time eventually comes.
ejw93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

For some reason, I always assume that OTR microwaves are going to either get outdated, or croak, or both. So, when I was looking for my present house I considered an OTR microwave to be a negative.

They may be wonderful to have! But I hope I never have to find out one way or another.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeyy_joe
Joe, my advise on buying cheap appliances may be of little use to anyone, but I can fully assure you that my ability to pick numbers for you, would be even worse advise. OP- Be brave and spend just a little more and get the new one, prices don't sound so bad. Don't be a cheapo like me. You will be happier in the long run, IMHO!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

The OP has already made a decision, but I'll chime in with 2 additional options:

1) Buy the OTR microwave you want, and hire a local handyman to install it for you. It'll be a lot chealer that the store install price.
2) Replace the OTR microwave with a shelf, and put a countertop microwave on the shelf. This is the route I took.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote