Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Overstock.com Hassles
Old 08-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Overstock.com Hassles

Curious if any other members have had trouble with this company.

Carefully researched and ordered a Toshiba LCD TV ... size / dimensions were a critical issue, so we made sure we bought a model that would fit our cabinet.

TV is delivered, and my wife confirms it is the model we ordered, and the box shows no damage.

Upon opening, and getting ready to install, we find the model in the box is not exactly the same as the label on the box ... and, the TV is nearly 12 inches wider than the dimensions indicated on their web page.

Wife calls to request they take it back ... very long story short, they agree, but insist that we pay the freight, and a restocking fee.

I call, email a copy of their web page (and link) showing the dimensions were incorrect on their web site ... and the customer service rep. tells me the "corporate decision" is the same ... they shipped what we ordered, and we should have "inspected" it upon receipt. She admits their web site is wrong, but insists this is our problem.

We're disputing the charge, I've written to the CEO, emailed, and have now told them they can have their TV back, but they pay for shipping, no restocking fee, reversal of our charge (AMEX), and based upon their attitude ... $25 per day storage until it leaves our home.

Interested in your perspective, and your own experiences with this company ... at this point, their business practices look pretty unethical.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Overstock.com Hassles
Old 08-06-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I buy books from them all the time (cheap shipping). They are usually quite fast and cheap. Last time I had a book with a mangled flyleaf. When I contacted them, it was a no hassle return with prepaid return labels etc.. However, since I would have to wait for a few more days to be able to read the book I decided to keep it - but otherwise no problems.

If you want their attention, I would fill out the online BBB form to file a complaint - if that is available for them. Then BBB mediates for you for free. Most companies do not like to have a poor BBB record which gets listed on their website.

Vicky
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:14 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've bought many items from them with no problem. I will admit that I've seen problems with their web-site. For instance a link for a new DVD release displayed a sale price $16.97, however when clicking the link in order to get to the main page for the DVD, the price was $24.97. I've seen this type of thing a couple of times.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:39 AM   #4

Sounds like a frustrating story. Here's a strategy for getting them to pay the shipping.

Write a press release with the title

Online Shopping at Overstock.com. Big Bargains or Big Hassles?

Describe what happened in a newsy way, perhaps with some other examples culled from newsgroups.

Send them the press release and tell them that before you ship it to the news story agencies (along with video of you trying to fit it in your cabinet) you want to confirm that they understand the situation yet continue to refuse to pay return shipping.

Of course that could backfire, since sometimes there's no such thing as bad publicity.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:46 AM   #5

I used a similar strategy when the local car dealership raised the price of the car after we ordered it. Here is the letter to the local newspaper (which regularly features business exposes) that I showed the dealer:

Quote:
Dear Mr. Easthouse:

I'm writing to suggest a cover story idea for the Northcoast Journal. In purchasing a Toyota at Mid-City Motors recently, I found that the stereotype of the untrustworthy car salesman is accurate. I've read that most Americans distrust car salesmen, and now I understand why. The situation may be worse in Eureka, because there is virtually no competition between different dealerships.

For example, after negotiating a price over the phone, the salesman told me he had okayed the price with the manager, and I could come in and place an order. When I got there, he told me that he had okayed the price with the used car manager, not the new car manager), who then came out and started negotiations all over again.

Worse, when the car arrived at the dealership, they raised the price again. And they never mention the hidden fees that are added on only after you've made a deal.

I've heard similar stories from others who've shopped at Mid-City Motors. I'm sure a story on this topic would be of interest to your readers, and might help the car dealership clean up its act.

Sincerely...
Old 08-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #6

It's unfortunate, but since lots of retailers are now using the internet, exploiting a previously unreachable customer base, customer service is suffering.* I've had a similar problem with ordering items which arrived damaged and the vendor refusing to pay shipping either on the returned item or the replacement.* Often your best recorse it to try and trash their reputation, which will not reward you, but rather reduce their business and help others not suffer the same problems.* These same problems are also extending into EBAY, where the sellers are now exploiting ways to cancel their contracts with the buyers after the close of a non-profitable auction.* I would like to think these are "growing pains", but with the size and anonimity (sp?) of the net, I think these problems are here to stay, much like spam and trolls.* * *
Old 08-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #7

Did you dispute the charge with your Credit card company? I would do that as well, indicating that they shipped you the wrong item and will not refund the entire amount. Maybe the CC will get the attention that you do not.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #8

So Al, did you take the car?
Old 08-07-2005, 06:23 PM   #9

This forum is becoming WAYYYYYYYY too much a part of my life. Today DW and I went to the big flea market. One of a zillion dealers had a trombone laying on the grass for sale. Guess of whom I was reminded?

BUM :
Old 08-07-2005, 07:10 PM   #10

Yep ... have disputed with Amex. We'll see if they step up.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles
Yep ... have disputed with Amex. We'll see if they step up.
They should step up. I've disputed 2 charges years ago. It took awhile but the seller was debited immediately and my account was eventually credited.

Keep good records.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Guess of whom I was reminded?
Hey, I don't lay on the grass very often!

Quote:
So Al, did you take the car?
Yes. Just as I was ready to walk out, the dealer noticed that a new rebate program had just started the day before, so with the $700 rebate, the car was cheaper than the original price the dealer had quoted. Who knows what would have happened without the rebate?
Old 08-08-2005, 08:20 AM   #13

make sure and give them a negative rating at www.resellerratings.com* *That's a widely used website to search out good companies particularily for electronic equipment i think.
I buy from newegg.com.* * Look them up at resellerratings.com, and you'll see why.

(edit) As you can see, they have a horrible score. Should have used resellerratings.com ;-)
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:01 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Hey, I don't lay on the grass very often!

Yes.* Just as I was ready to walk out, the dealer noticed that a new rebate program had just started the day before, so with the $700 rebate, the car was cheaper than the original price the dealer had quoted.* Who knows what would have happened without the rebate?
Yea, but you should have got the cheaper price AND the $700 rebate!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:00 PM   #15

Right. But I didn't want to push my luck. After I showed the dealer that letter, he was pretty steamed.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #16

I bought something from Overstock.com recently. It was a refurbished item and works OK. The manual was missing some pages due to someone tearing them out. I just went to the company website and printed the missing pages.