5 pounds over 6 8.45%
10 pounds over 7 9.86%
15+ over 35 49.30%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Overweight?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Overweight?

This is a spin off of a discussion on Fire And Money about medical coverage in the US. Part of the discussion is that some of us may be contributiog to less than ideal health by less than ideal eating/excercise habits and being over weight. Now I wonder of the RE folks who are disclipined in finacnial management are as a whole bettter in healthly weight management as well. Have you stayed the same, lost or gained weight in retirement? I don't know of the best way to quantify food and excercise issues but they may be as inmportant as financial issues in retirement.

I am using the CDC site for BMI (body mass index) (http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm) you can use that or any legitimate site you want (Weight Watchers?) For what its worth I have to fess up that Option 5 applies to me.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Overweight?
Old 02-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #2

Oh no...we have debates about the CPI being flawed and now we have the BMI. This measure is crap. I am 27, 6'2" 200 lbs., mostly muscle but I am overweight according to the BMI
Old 02-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Me too. I'd have to lose 30lbs to be considered in the reasonable weight range. I'd have to cut off a buttock or something to get down that low. My wife keeps telling me I need to gain 10lbs. I think thats just so she can outrun me though. She's right in there though, hers is 18.6
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #4

I'm the same weight now as I was when I was 13. Doesn't say much since I probably need to lose ~30 pounds to get from "obese" to "overweight". And that much again to get within the "normal" range. "Heavyset", "stocky" - polite adjectives to describe me.

I swear it's in the genes, at least partially. The other part is how I love food. Generally balanced diet though, good lab work/blood levels. One long term goal is gradual lifestyle modification to exercise more and continually maintain/improve eating/diet.

Prioritization of exercise isn't high enough in my life. When I have an hour or so of free time per day (after 8-5 job, family, and household responsibilities), it's hard to devote it to exercise. Another reason to ER?

I have to shed some weight though. I was turned down for an individual Blue Cross health insurance policy a few years back because my height/weight was outside their acceptable parameters for issuing a policy. I'll have to secure my own health ins. for ER. I need to determine what their "acceptable" range is and at least shoot for that.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

5'10", 185, 26.2. However I look like the guy on the left under the "Calculate" button.

Getting under 174 would bring my BMI back under 25, but the other thing I'd lose in the process would be the will to live.

Cognitive dissonance-- I know that underweight mice tend to live longer, and I'm not sure the result is worth the effort.

But if losing that extra 10 pounds could make me spin faster in tae kwon do or surf better... hmmm...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin

Prioritization of exercise isn't high enough in my life. When I have an hour or so of free time per day (after 8-5 job, family, and household responsibilities), it's hard to devote it to exercise. Another reason to ER?

You could do what I do and pace madly around the office all day long.

A coworker of mine wants to install a standing desk in his office. He thinks it is healthier and he will burn more calories. His doctor at the Mayo clinic has a treadmill in his office. He spends all his office time on the treadmill, with a working area designed on the top, walking at the rate of .8mph.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
A coworker of mine wants to install a standing desk in his office.*
The morning DJs on Hawaii's radio station KSSK have been broadcasting their show without chairs for two decades.

GEN Pagonis, the Army's director of logistics for DESERT SHIELD & DESERT STORM, used to have staff meetings without tables or chairs. Notes were limited to index cards (although you were allowed to use both sides). Electricity was not permitted. Power Point was grounds for summary execution. It all seemed to work pretty well for him, and those staff meetings really were brief.

But none of those guys will EVER stop working.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:33 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the treadmill/office is a good idea. Donald Rumsfeld (confusion to him!) stands instead of sits in his office and has a sort of podium for a desk.

I'm both happy and sad to see I'm not the only one here who's struggling with weight. I did start exercising more when I cut my work hours in half. But I need to do more. My dog would love it if I spent half an hour walking him per day, and that would probably be enough to burn off the excess pounds over a couple of years.
LRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #9

At 5'11" and 167 lbs, I have been told by several doctors that losing 10 lbs would be beneficial to my health.

I could do it, but why, *my uncles are all in their mid/late 80's and every one of them has enjoyed the SoCal Mexican diet for the last 50 years. *They seem healthier than most and all are in the 6'0" / 220 lb range.

I did try surfing with a 1970's 6'3" Bing Maui Foil a couple of years ago. *I might as well have been surfing on a log.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:39 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Cognitive dissonance-- I know that underweight mice tend to live longer, and I'm not sure the result is worth the effort.
Who the hell wants to be a skinny mouse?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
A coworker of mine wants to install a standing desk in his office. He thinks it is healthier and he will burn more calories.
I started doing this in my kitchen with the new laptop. About all it did was give me sore knees, a sore hip and a sore back.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Cute Fuzzy Bunny)
I started doing this in my kitchen with the new laptop.* About all it did was give me sore knees, a sore hip and a sore back.
I think that's just the result of having to support that huge weight on your chest all the time.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Nah, its the giant head.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

21.2 8)

6', 155 w/lead in my pencil pockets...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #15

Ouch, 6'6" 245lbs...

The army always thinks I'm fat...
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #16

6'3"

Jul 1 2001 - 220 (Before ER)
Jan 4 2006 - 197
Feb 17 2006 - 183

I don't recommend it, but having SO be included in a suit - then finding out the Apt property manager let the liability insurance lapse can do wonders for your waistline
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:30 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I'm 6'2" and my last weigh in was 192, giving me a 24.6 BMI, so I'm just barely under the overweight threshhold.

BMI is goofy, but serves a little purpose. My goal weight is 177 per body fat measurements, that should get me to ~9% bodyfat and a decent shot at some abs. But while any lower than this would start getting dangerous, the BMI scale says I would do still be find losing another 20 lbs.!

Nords, I've seen you, no way are you overweight. BMI is definitely not working for you! I'm about ten pounds lighter than when you saw me.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

And I thought the internet made everyone six feet tall...
Old 02-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Not me: 4' 11".

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:40 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Well then, I could use you for a PLP, but I'd have to lean down a good bit...