Join Early Retirement Today

Oxford Club: Scam or Something Else
Old 11-29-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Oxford Club: Scam or Something Else

Hi Guys--

I have been taught if it seems to good to be true.......

Today I got an invitation to join Oxford Club for $79.00 and with their expertise & impressive credentials, make a cool 1/2 mill per year. I called BBB expecting the worst, and they gave them a clean bill of health.

Anybody on this forum belong or made the kind of returns they are predicting? Thanks.

Professor
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Oxford Club: Scam or Something Else
Old 11-29-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll let you join my exclusive Cambridge Club for $59.95/yr and you can make 1 million/yr*. The London School of Economics plan is $129.95/yr, and you can make up to 2.5 million/yr*.

* these amounts are denominated in old Iraqi dinar. 1 US dollar = 12,000,000 old Iraqi dinar.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #3

Justin dude, the Oxbridge and LSE folks construct clubs to keep out as many as possible. A real pitch from them would be about who wasn't allowed in and the high costs of entry. Try not to let the side down old chap.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:13 PM   #4

If anyone else thinks this is a great opportunity, you can get the same offer:

http://www.oxfordclub.com/Visitors/JoinOC.html

Quote:
The Oxford Club, founded in 1984, has become the largest financial organization of its kind with over 65,000 members in over 110 countries. The Club helps investors around the world create a financial legacy for their families that is shielded from excessive taxation, seizure, fraud, and inflation. The Club supports limited government, free markets, and individual liberty. By using the Club's highly reliable global network, twice-monthly Communiqués, special investor alerts, interactive web site, and special events - members are tuned into major trends and learn creative ways to benefit from them.

For more information on the latest opportunities The Oxford Club has to offer, and how to join, click here.

The Oxford Club,
Headquarters:
105 W. Monument Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
tel: 410-223-2643
fax: (410)223-2650
e-mail: Oxford@oxfordclub.com

Visit our website at www.oxfordclub
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:21 AM   #5

I must have something that this club wants - and it is my membership fee.
But if they really have this know-how and if it is a safe ride, why would they invite ME to join - just for my tiny little fee? They could have the cake for themself instead...
So "No, thanks, I would rather not join a club that accepts my membership... " (Groucho Marx)
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 06:29 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Oxford club is a great way for the people to run it to get rich, and not from membership fees. The publishers know what they will recommend to the legions of boobs that are members and thus can "front run" pretty easily. What Oxford did with GIM is instructive: they recommended it, the fund went to a record premium to NAV. They told their members to get out and the fund went to a fat discount to NAV. Who do you think made money off that one?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Guys--

Not too many of you want to comment. I get the sense that this might be a good place to not join. $79. isn't a deal breaker. I just don't want to waste money on things not worthwhile. If it gave me a good bottom line, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.

Professor
education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor
Not too many of you want to comment. I get the sense that this might be a good place to not join. $79. isn't a deal breaker. I just don't want to waste money on things not worthwhile. If it gave me a good bottom line, I'd go for it in a heartbeat.
Mark Hulbert has been tracking newsletters for over two decades, and only one or two have consistently beaten the market.

Since those newsletters made his lists, millions of "investors" have promptly subscribed to them and started throwing fistfuls of cash at their recommendations. Pretty soon the market-beaters will sink back down into the rest of the pack.

If you're looking for momentum, try Pony Express Bob's leaderboards. But this is real work and its volatility is not for the faint of heart.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

What a coincidence, two first-time posters make their debut on the same thread...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
What a coincidence, two first-time posters make their debut on the same thread...
snicker...
NotReady4Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
RE: Oxford Club
Old 01-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

RE: Oxford Club

Professor,

I have been a member of the Oxford Club for several years. Their stock picks are very solid, especially those by Alexander Green. I have not received any materials promising to make half a million from them but you could easily make your $79 back and more over the course of the year by following Alexander Green's picks and doing your own due diligence to confirm his recommendations for yourself.

If you go to your local Barnes & Noble or Borders bookstore they should have a copy of Alexander Green's book, The Gone Fishing Portfolio, which came out recently. The Gone Fishing Portfolio has beaten the S & P 500 index every year since its inception some years ago. This will be a way for you to check out Mr. Green's credentials and the Oxford Club without investing any of your money.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

Funny, I have just received the Oxford promo, and I am debating it. I was a member in the mid to late 80's and then moved to other things. A couple of recommendations made by the club worked very well for me indeed. I am a bit leery submitting my information online while they warn me of cyber attacks, and I.D theft. Is their site secure? I don't know. Maybe I am old fashion, but I am getting the jitters putting my credit card info. on the line. Any advice?
Maux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maux View Post
Funny, I have just received the Oxford promo, and I am debating it. I was a member in the mid to late 80's and then moved to other things. A couple of recommendations made by the club worked very well for me indeed. I am a bit leery submitting my information online while they warn me of cyber attacks, and I.D theft. Is their site secure? I don't know. Maybe I am old fashion, but I am getting the jitters putting my credit card info. on the line. Any advice?
Maux, whether you put there or not, your data is already online. Nobody (well, not literally "nobody", but few) shuffle pieces of paper anymore. The few things that require a physical signature get imaged and stored (in multiple locations), and the physical documents are kept for some period of time then destroyed. Most large places have geographically diverse call centers -- helps them stay in business when natural and man made disasters strike. Geographically diversity does not work well with paper signature cards, paper ledger sheets, etc. that exist in only one place.

Walmart does not even take your paper check anymore; they scan it then give it back to you. FWIW, in December 2010 we appeared in person at our bank (a credit union) to make some account changes that required new signature cards -- we sat in the officer's office and signed an electronic card similar to the retail credit card terminals -- no paper.

On the web, just make sure the URL (it stands for Uniform Resource Locator and is commonly known as the web address) starts with https: rather than http:. The s means that the data is encrypted. The same net that carries your personal data to the Oxford web site also carries it to your brokerage house and bank -- and to WalMart, Amazon, Target . . .

Edit to add: Hmmmm . . . post # 666. I don't mean anything by that; the post number is not in my control.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:54 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I used to belong in the early 80s. I do not find them credible. They are a part of a high-powered online marketing organization. You will get a very large number of email solicitations once you register again. In the 80s, it was just junk mail. But now it is more invasive.