Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #81
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
...sync stuff like Mail
All mail can be sync'ed, from all your providers, global or your own ISP (DW/me have three sources - all linked to K-Fire). As for calanders, it's not something I use (since I'm retired and have no schedule )....

Just an FYI...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm trying to decide between an iPad 2 and a Samsung Android tablet. Right now leaning toward the Android since I have an Android smartphone and I can use the apps I've already paid for. Going to look at an iPad this afternoon.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Is it too LBYM if I haven't paid for ANY of my 42 iPhone apps? Nodak, your post has me thinking about that one....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

I purchased an iPad to cut down on the weight of carrying both a laptop and a Kindle when I travel. The iPad can do just about everything I needed the laptop for. With a free cloud account I can access all of my files if needed. A side benefit is that with the iPad, I have started to use the library app more frequently and have been saving $40 - $50 per month by not buying Amazon books.

I was also surprised by how frequently we use FaceTime to get video calls. Lately, my daughter and her husband have been in Italy and have been calling me at all times of the day and night from her iPhone.

Milkman
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #85

Never been a big Apple koolaide drinker but I do have an Ipod Touch and am considering an Ipad for the DW this Xmas season. The process of using Itunes and buying and loading apps is pretty idiot proof so don't let that scare you. The Ipad is head and shoulders above anything else on the portability and convenience market these days. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

I have an old laptop that still works well, so I cannot justify an iPad. But, when the laptop goes to its reward, I will take a long hard look at the iPad ( and similar computers). I still have a desktop for managing my music and work related issues.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #87

One small item I haven't seen addressed here.
My 7 month old iPad 2 has completely replaced my laptop when traveling. I am continually amazed at how much I've grown to depend on always having the iPad handy, and I do in fact love reading books on it as well as so much else.

The small point is that I have an Apple wireless keyboard. It's compact, lightweight, and completely "toss in the bag" handy. By pairing it with the iPad over Bluetooth, you have the best of both worlds. We all need to occasionally do a fair bit of typing, and this makes it a breeze.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Is it too LBYM if I haven't paid for ANY of my 42 iPhone apps? Nodak, your post has me thinking about that one....
I've only bought about 4 apps at less than $10 total. Looked at the iPad and was impressed with it but still haven't decided.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I've only bought about 4 apps at less than $10 total. Looked at the iPad and was impressed with it but still haven't decided.
There are probably some really cool apps that aren't free. Come to think of it, I did pay $1-$2 for one just to see how that is done, when I first got my iPhone.

I think the iPad is stunningly beautiful but I don't plan to buy it in 2011.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:10 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post

I was also surprised by how frequently we use FaceTime to get video calls. Lately, my daughter and her husband have been in Italy and have been calling me at all times of the day and night from her iPhone.

Milkman
Does anyone know if you can use Skype on an iPad instead of FaceTime?
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

For those of you thinking about going with one of the lighter weight 7 inch reader tablets, Ars Technica gives the nod to the Nook over the Fire. I have the slightly less capable Nook Color but my experience is similar to that described for the new tablet. I especially appreciate the openess for ease of side loading documents, photos, videos, and non-DRM books.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Uh, oh, better wait Al. Super high-rez iPad 3s are around the corner. I better stay away from Ars Technica.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Uh, oh, better wait Al. Super high-rez iPad 3s are around the corner. I better stay away from Ars Technica.
Right, I saw that, but I don't mind being a generation or two behind. It's a good strategy for saving money.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Arse Technica?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post

Ooh!!!! I just KNEW there was a reason why I decided not to buy an iPad in 2011! The iPad3 is going to be amazing.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

donheff - W2R: Better wait for the iPad4, I hear it will be even more amazing...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #97
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Well, I ordered the iPad 2. It came out to $490 with tax and recycling fee.

Hey, who's a good money spender? I think I'll go vomit now.
and to think I was on vacation when this historical event occurred !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #98
Gone but not forgotten

My Kindle fire arrived right before we were leaving for vacation so I got to put it to the test . I loved it for travel . It did everything I wanted and more . The Internet connected quickly and was very responsive . I was able to check my email ,surf the web , shop ,read and even play angry birds . Plus it slides easily into my purse !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #99

Apple had the I pad 2 on sale today. I ordered one for DW for Christmas. With the case and tax it came out to $515.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Heard some research which may be both arguments for and against tablets:

1. 70% of the time, tablets are used with the TV on in the background.

2. Tablets have peaks of usage in the morning and late at night, suggesting people are using it as soon as they wake up, perhaps still in bed, and when they go to sleep.
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote