Paging a physicist, astro or ......

ls99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Illusion created from the direction it is coming from? IIRC, comets tails always point away from the sun.

The article itself explains this:

While all the planets and most of the other objects in the solar system circle the sun counterclockwise, Lulin circles clockwise, said NASA astronomer Stephen Edberg.

Thanks to an optical illusion, from Earth it appears as if the comet's tail is in the front as the comet approaches Earth and the sun.

"It essentially is going backwards through the solar system," he said.

Ok, so in this solar system forward is defined as counterclockwise. Got it. Thanks.

I suspect Cute Fuzzy Bunny is behind this whole coment thing. Would explain how he's using his time these days:cool:

Attachments

• flyingrabbit.jpg
    flyingrabbit.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1
The article itself explains this:

While all the planets and most of the other objects in the solar system circle the sun counterclockwise, Lulin circles clockwise, said NASA astronomer Stephen Edberg.

Thanks to an optical illusion, from Earth it appears as if the comet's tail is in the front as the comet approaches Earth and the sun.

"It essentially is going backwards through the solar system," he said.

Assuming, presumably, one is looking down on the solar system from above the North Pole. Looking up at the solar system from the below the South pole would have the terms clockwise and counterclockwise reversed. And here I'm picking on the guy from NASA, not NR4P.
2Cor521

My kitty, aka Comet spins around in circles sometimes...
(yup, that's his name)

Attachments

• comet.jpg
    comet.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 6
Now I'm really confused.
Solar system has a north pole? How big is the magnetic field of the solar system? Who measured it?

Now I'm really confused.
Solar system has a north pole? How big is the magnetic field of the solar system? Who measured it?

I was referring to our North Pole up in the Arctic Sea, just as a convenient reference point.

The point I was trying to make is that the NASA guy was using terms like "clockwise" and "counterclockwise" which are precise only if you also know which way you're looking at the solar system -- from the "top" / "Northern Hemisphere" / the "regular way" for those of us in the US, or from the "bottom" / "Southern Hemisphere" / "upside down".

I assumed that the NASA guy probably lives in the US and that he was assuming looking at it from the "top".

The "optical illusion" also really doesn't have anything to do with the fact that this comet goes the opposite direction to most comets and planets, so that's just bad placement of that paragraph in the article.

OK, I'll shut my curmudgeonly trap now.

2Cor521

Greenish? I'd love to turn into the Hulk for a while to smash stuff. Would be good exercise and good for stress.

I assumed that the NASA guy probably lives in the US and that he was assuming looking at it from the "top".

The "optical illusion" also really doesn't have anything to do with the fact that this comet goes the opposite direction to most comets and planets, so that's just bad placement of that paragraph in the article.

OK, I'll shut my curmudgeonly trap now.

2Cor521

Actually I do appreciate your explanations. Thanks for the efforts.

Even after 40+ years in the US, I still get trapped in the literal mode at times. Some of my misunderstandings tend to be hilarious when I think about them for a while.
I tend to read things according to the dictionary meanings as I learned the words at 17. Have gotten fairly good with slang and other figurative expressions, but there are times.....

DW has nominated me to be a curmudgeon.;) I have a ways to go.

Back
Top Bottom