Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Panhandlers -- not again!
Old 03-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
Panhandlers don't like me:

I usually get the "can you spare some change"?

To which I say:

"Change comes from within, my friend"..............and continue walking..............
I actually had one ask for $10 before

I looked at him and had to think.. did he just ask me that
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Old 03-19-2007, 09:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

We have a guy around here...i've seen him for four years now standing at the same intersection with his dog and his cardboard sign. Rain or shine, 110 degrees or 25. Daybreak until you can barely see him in the dark.

Turns out his brothers a cop in town. Thats gotta go down pretty good.

I give him a bag of dog food once a month. I'm thinking the dogs the victim here. It cant be better than working a j*b...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:26 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

This was one of my dad's favorite stories until the day he died.......

Years ago, while driving from Chicago to western Arkansas, mom and dad pulled into a rest stop along the interstate to have lunch. They carried their cooler to a picnic table and dug into mom's roast beef sandwiches on home baked wheat bread and homemade potato salad and other sides.

Along comes Mr Panhandler going from picnic table to picnic table asking for cash. Mom says "no cash to spare, but here, have a roast beef sandwich." Mr Panhandler says he wants cash and makes a disparaging remark about mom's carefully prepared and packed lunch.

Wrong thing to say to an Arkansas sharecropper's daughter! Dad said she had chased Mr. Panhandler a quarter mile, almost to the end of the entrance ramp back to the highway, before he caught up and slowed her down!

I imagine this is one of Mr Panhandler's favorite stories too!

Old 03-20-2007, 12:03 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Around 1983 I was walking to the bus station from work in San Francisco. I guy told me he'd run out of money, and needed fare back to San Jose. I gave him $2.
He're my version: In 1991, I moved to Houston from Boston. On my first grocecy shopping trip to a Vietnamese shopping strip, I saw a young vietnamese guy in dirty clothes hanging around in the parking lot. He looked lost, sad, desparated. He did not ask for anything as we (wife, 2 kids, and myself) entered the mini-market. I played with the kids while my wife shopped, but could not take him off my mind. Done with the shopping, I came out, looked for him and asked he needed any help. Yes, I asked. He said he came to Houston looking for work unsuccessfully, and now did not have money to go back home to Louisiana. My next question: How much do you need? He emptied his pocket, counted his money and said, 5 dollars. I emptied my pocket too, counted everything I had on me, about $25, and gave it to him.

Fast forward 16 years: The guy is still around in that shopping strip, although he has expanded his territory, and now can be found at other locations as well. My kids still tease me today each time we see him.

About a year ago, I was sitting in my car waiting for my wife in the same parking lot. I saw a man talking to him, giving him money. I just sat there, watched the the whole thing, and smiled to myself.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:22 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
I imagine this is one of Mr Panhandler's favorite stories too!
There is the Cheapest thing you've done thread. Maybe it will show up there.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:54 AM   #27

There is a guy that does the oh my car was towed and I'm from out of town routine by one of the parking garages I use on occasion over by Faneuil Hall. He caught me off guard until I figured it out half way through his little story. I told him to get lost in my best Boston accent and was on my way.

On my way back to the car he had a family there giving them his bullcrap story, as I walked by I could tell the dad was going to give him money so I told them to watch out he was a scammer. LOL did that piss him off, I thought he was going to come after me, thankfully there were people around and all he did was call me a few expletives. BTW the family thanked me as we all entered the parking garage. I still see this guy once in a while when I've over that way.

My dh was too smart for one guy trying the "I have a flat need money to fix it" story. Dh said hey I have some Fix-A-Flat in my truck lets go get it and I'll fix your tire. They walked about a block and the guy just took off.

We also were screwed here by the Kraft family, they got a nice new stadium for the Patriots.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I thought the Krafts paid for most of the new stadium?

I'm not so sold on the stadium as panhandling for the rich. Communities get a lot of pride and value out of a sports franchise, at least a successful one. Granted they pay for that pride with ticket sales and so forth, but the stadium is also often used for a variety of sports and entertainment features. Without that asset, the communities 'value' is lower and quality of life for citizens who value outdoor sports and entertainment is less.

It does bug me a bit to see the local maloof brothers pining for a new stadium for the Kings. In the middle of their panhandling routine where they're threatening to take the team out of the state, they run an ad for one of the burger joints where the two of them spill out of a limo with a bunch of bimbo's, and start cracking open bottles of expensive red wine to enjoy with their quarter pound wunderburgers.

Pretty stupid.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #29

I think that's what aggravates everyone, they threaten to pull out of that area is they don't get what they want. I say let them go.

I don't remember all the details but the Krafts received a sweet deal.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

CFB... from the studies that I have read, the new stadiums don't add 'value' to the communities that justify tax money...

Why not invest in a better park system? What do you think is more valuable, the Yankees or Central Park?? (bad example as Central Park is so big)..

Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

How about the Green Bay Packers? They're a publicly held corporation with lots of small stockholders. Still, when taxes were raised, and new taxes created, to fund the restoration of Lambeau Field, many cheeseheads got very unhappy that this money wouldn't be spent on schools or other public initiatives.

Even without a wealthy family benefitting, the expenditure of public funds on stadiums can be darn controversial.

Frankly, I think the Packers should play in the street. Of course, I'm a Bears fan!
Old 03-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
There is the Cheapest thing you've done thread. Maybe it will show up there.

Yeah, could be. Although I think Mr Panhandler was being more greedy than cheap!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Another "W" rant...

When he was general/managing partner for the Texas StRangers, ol' W was happy to get/use taxpayer funds for Ameriquest Field the Ballpark in Arlington.

Fast forward a few years...

As Guv'ner, he basically told Jerry Jones that taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for a new stadium for the Cowpatties Cowboys...

You can't make this stuff up... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:02 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I thought the Krafts paid for most of the new stadium?
The Stadium cost the taxpayers 70Million. Total cost were around 350M I think and there was a deal in place before work started that the Karfts would pay for all the overruns. But the Krafts made most of the money from the overruns back by selling the naming rights.

Also check this out
http://www.house.gov/weiner/report34.htm

-h
Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Back to panhandling, I always liked the Sherlock Holmes story of the man with the twisted lip.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswswein
The Stadium cost the taxpayers 70Million.
It did, but kraft has to pay that back over the next 25 years. He took out a loan for the other 400-something million, AFAIK.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:48 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to a HS near downtown New Orleans. For all four years, the same guy stood at the same interstate exit with the same sign on the back of the same bud light box asking for money. I think my mom actually gave him some change once.
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:07 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I always liked that LA wasn't willing to fork over the taxpayers money to keep the Raiders and Rams in town.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:06 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I worked in Central Park in NYC as a teenager. I drove a horse and carriage. I was from the country upstate and had never seen a panhandler before. I was shocked by them as we didn't have them in my one stoplight town upstate. I never gave them money as I was always on alert while in the city and very suspicious of everything.

The only thing I ever did for a homeless person was once I gave a down and out guy in a Popeye's my biscuit. I don't eat them (northerner) and he didn't even ask for anything. He was just sitting there putting packages of ketchup and sugar into a free cup of hot water for something to eat. He was grateful for the offer.

Mike D.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote