Parallel to "cheapskate" thread - What's the most redneck thing you've done?

Partner's 14 ft shuttleboard for pitchers of beer.

:D

heh heh heh - :cool:

Well, while all of you are having to take a trip down "memory-lane" to come up with these -

Just the other day my daughter told me she needed to deliver her girl scout cookies around the neighborhood - I told her I'd go with her - so while she's inside brushing hair, putting shoes on, & whatever else - I'm outside hooking the garden wagon to the riding lawnmower & loading the cookie boxes up - my daughter came out and gave me a "look" that instantly let me know what a "redneck" I apparently am -

(we ended up taking the cookies in around in the minivan)

(While waiting for daughter, I also found time to cut down two fair-size trees after sharpening the chains (with my cool new Dremel tool attachment) on two of my three saws - & I live in town!!)

My family lived a double life for years. My parents were white collar professionals working and living all week in a big city. Nice condo, nice cars, nice schools for us kids, nice clothes... But on the weekends and in the summers we used to leave the city and drive to our second home in the mountains and there we turned into a redneck family. We traded the family car for a tractor, the condo for the "farmhouse", the marble bathroom for an outhouse and a tub in the backyard (yep, we used to shower outside, there was no running water in the house). Later on, when my parents became too old to "enjoy" using the outhouse, they installed a proper kitchen and bathrooms in the farmhouse but to this day the redneck lifestyle reigns supreme when they spend time in the mountains. During the week, my dad, a VP in a multinational company wears suits, ties and expensive watches but on the weekend, it's more like blue overalls covered with oil stains and rubber boots. He's pretty scary-looking actually! I must still have a bit of redneck in me... We now live in Alabama and love it!

Redneck huh:confused: Oh boy where do I start... I grew up on a farm so...

If you ever played ice hocky with a frozen cow pie for a puck (done it)

Talked a girl up into the hay loft because you had to "tell" her something (pleading the 5th)

Gone Snipe hunting (yep)

Mended a barbed wire fence with bailer twine (many times)

Been kicked by a cow (more times then I care to recall)

Helped "Pull" a calf (ewww and yep several)

I still bale hay so I am not going to say that one... come to think of it I still do 'most' of these things...

My family lived a double life for years. My parents were white collar professionals working and living all week in a big city. Nice condo, nice cars, nice schools for us kids, nice clothes... But on the weekends and in the summers we used to leave the city and drive to our second home in the mountains and there we turned into a redneck family. We traded the family car for a tractor, the condo for the "farmhouse", the marble bathroom for an outhouse and a tub in the backyard (yep, we used to shower outside, there was no running water in the house). Later on, when my parents became too old to "enjoy" using the outhouse, they installed a proper kitchen and bathrooms in the farmhouse but to this day the redneck lifestyle reigns supreme when they spend time in the mountains. During the week, my dad, a VP in a multinational company wears suits, ties and expensive watches but on the weekend, it's more like blue overalls covered with oil stains and rubber boots. He's pretty scary-looking actually! I must still have a bit of redneck in me... We now live in Alabama and love it!

I think age is key to enjoying some of these things. Now that I'm older and creaky, the 'pioneer life' holds no allure.

Hunting and gathering and living off the land can't hold a candle to clean sheets and a hot shower.

Hunting and gathering and living off the land can't hold a candle to clean sheets and a hot shower.

That's for sure! I got a new water heater installed last Wednesday. After a week of very cold sponge baths before work, I really appreciate being able to take long, hot showers once again in my own home. One of the greatest advances of civilization is hot and cold running water.

My grandma was a city girl but I remember her at her country summer home, making lye soap and using a wringer washer, and of course hanging the the clothes outside to dry. Maybe "redneck" is more old-fashioned than rural; grandma kept chickens in the city backyard in the early days.

I had no idea I am such a redneck!

1. High school: Whirling empty beer/wine cooler bottles across the frozen river...makes a cool sound.
2. 4-wheelin' in big ol 4x4 (primer grey, roll bar, 38" tires, lift kit, the whole 9 yards) out by Craney Island, VA.
3. Assorted farm stories (reciting speeches to cows & sheep - great captive audience BTW, hay baler catching entire fields on fire, collecting & playing with lamb tails after finding them in fields post-banding, cutting calves - aka turning them into steers, chased (and haunted!) by geese, plucking chickens, flinging cow patties at other kids, pulling calves (once in pieces using a garotte), performing CPR on a near stillborn lamb - then bottlefeeding for couple mos & having lamb run over by UPS truck in driveway, building a balance beam from a 4x4, covering with wool blankets & then practicing gymnastics in barn)
4. Swerving cars on roads to run over rats (problems for the rice farmers)
5. Eating (and liking) squirrel stew (compliments of my fellow redneck sailors)
6. Have "fooled" around in barn, back of pick up with cover, in an orchard, and last but not least, back seat of a...Trans-AM (or was it a camaro?)!
7. Dated several guys who wore "John Deere" ball caps
8. Tried to raise a mouse from the kitchen cupboards as a pet (Mom did not think that was cool.)

Once I had to yell at a guy not to throw things into a community dumpster cuz my Dad was in there.
Every saturday morning my Dad would take us kids to the dump to search for "treasures". We always took home more than we left. When my Dad died and we had to get rid of his treasures, they filled up a giant dumpster.
A new car for my Pop was always a minimum ten years old.
I still get a large part of my stuff at garage sales.

My fave is driving on the lake!

Yup. You can always tell when Spring is on the way because some numbnut tries to drive on a lake that's already starting to thaw. Always makes the local news...visual of the back end of a pickup or SUV sticking up out of the water, and some guy(s) wrapped up in military blankets on the shore, saying that they thought the ice was still thick enough.....

Yup. You can always tell when Spring is on the way because some numbnut tries to drive on a lake that's already starting to thaw. Always makes the local news...visual of the back end of a pickup or SUV sticking up out of the water, and some guy(s) wrapped up in military blankets on the shore, saying that they thought the ice was still thick enough.....

Oh yeah, every year! I also have fond memories of bets on when the lake would freeze over (sometime in January) and the driving could begin.

"I know I was a redneck because": I skated on the edge of (purposely flooded) farmer's fields. We always brought along a broom to sweep off the snow. It was a secret where those rinks were located.

City slickers I know are endlessly fascinated to hear about the ice fishing houses on the lake.

Last edited:
I grew up in the country with frugal parents. We got all our bikes by walking to the town dump carrying wrenches, screwdrivers, and an air pump. We would assemble a bike at the dump from "found" parts and ride home (mostly downhill) in glory.

Also, when I got older, used to shoot everything at the dump with a .22LR lever action (after hours).

Man, we knew how to have fun.

Mike D.

If, on the day that your family had fried chicken for dinner, your assigned pieces were the wings, the heart, the gizzard, and "the piece that went over the fence last." And, they are still your favorite pieces of chicken today.

Back
Top Bottom