Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2020, 09:15 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratface View Post
One night while working as a policeman I was ambushed from an overhead railroad pass. I was driving a police vehicle alone. I actually saw the bullets enter through the windshield and actually saw the holes as they passed through the glass. I then saw the individual bullets explode into the passenger headrest. I saw the speckles of glass and fabric floating within the car suspended in the air. This was all happening simultaneously as I was reacting to the entire event in super slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww motion, communicating via radio and driving a vehicle. My Brain slowed to a crawl allowing me to process each tidbit of fire flash and breaking glass so incredibly slow and in such minute detail as to easily make informed decisions and extricate myself from the situation. I have never been so clear of mind and had so much time to make intelligent choices. It was a whole different time continuum but it happened in the blink of an eye. Just imagine yourself moving in super slow motion but the rest of the world keeps going normally. Perhaps some innate survival response?
I had this exact same super slow motion effect happen to me when I was in a car accident years ago. It was about 7:30 am and I was traveling west on a street going about 20 mph when a car traveling north on a cross street struck my car. I couldn't see the approaching car because of a large pine tree on the corner blocking my view. It would have been a classic T-bone collision but at the last split second I saw the incoming vehicle and started to turn to the right to avoid it. This other car hit me on the rear quarter panel of the driver's side of my car and creased my car all the way up through the driver door.

From the time the car was about two feet from hitting me until the two cars disengaged from each other I experienced everything happening in super slow motion. I remember clearly thinking, "this guy's going to hit me, turn to the right" and as his car walked up the side of my car everything that played out seemed to take about 10 seconds or so, but in real time it might have been 2 seconds. I calmly saw I was going to be hit and there was this incredible feeling of control and sense that I was doing the correct maneuver to avoid getting hurt. It seemed like there was no sound, that is, I can't remember hearing anything, but immediately after the collision time snapped back into the normal frame of reference and sound returned. My car was totaled (it was several years old) but I was perfectly fine.

Not sure if this is a paranormal experience or not. I always chalked it up to a burst of adrenaline that allowed my brain to shift into overdrive and think clearly and super quickly. I suspect a side effect of the amped up brain processing speed is the feeling of time dilation.

As to UFO's, I don't think they are aliens piloting ships. They're just unidentified flying objects, from earth, or possibly faulty radar readings. I think psychics are fake. Premonitions of relatives dying are reported so, so many times, including from credible people in my family and friends of mine that I believe there is something going on here. I don't doubt people's stories about guardian angels nor do I automatically believe them, I do weigh them carefully.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post

Not sure if this is a paranormal experience or not. I always chalked it up to a burst of adrenaline that allowed my brain to shift into overdrive and think clearly and super quickly. I suspect a side effect of the amped up brain processing speed is the feeling of time dilation.

I'm going with the burst of adrenaline.

I had a similar incident driving in a blizzard where vehicles were sliding all over the place. This van ahead of me lost control and looked like I was going to die crashing into it. I pressed the brake, the ABS brakes pumping, me saying a prayer thinking 'this is it". Felt like a long time and ended out the my car stopped about 5 feet before making impact. Everything felt like slow motion and taking a long time.

I believe star athletes can seemingly slow the action around them down so the perform in the clutch.

I did have another incident this time losing control of my car on the freeway tires screeching and all. Saw my life literally start to flash before myself like a movie projector before I regained control. I always wonder i that was something paranormal or once again the adrenaline kicking in.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:04 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Dang. I was at that hotel too a couple of times, but I didn't experience anything. Maybe I'm just dense. I didn't even know it was supposed to be haunted. All I remember is antique furniture throughout the hotel and the Thai curry soup in their restaurant was excellent.
Some of the times I stayed there i felt nothing. The last couple of times it was clearly haunted. But others in the party felt nothing. My wife did notice the presences the last time, and it totally creeped her out. And after that I noticed some residual energy activity from lots of people, not haunting, over in the Hotel Denver in Glenwood Springs when I stayed there. I think I become more receptive with age as I slowed down and noticed things more.

One thing this official hotel summary doesn't mention is Ted Bundy hid out in the basement after escaping from a jail in Colorado. He avoided police and moved on.

https://www.hotelcolorado.com/blog/g...hotel-colorado

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #124

I have a lot, A LOT of episodes of deja vu. For example, I might be at the dinner table and listening to a conversation when all of a sudden the thought will pop into my head, and next my son is going to say "I have a quiz on Friday in calculus" and then my wife is going to reach for a napkin and knock over the salt shaker. And then within seconds those two exact things happen in sequence. I would guess things like this happen at least once a month. I've never had false episodes, or if I have, they are extremely rare and I don't remember them.

I don't consider deja vu to be paranormal events. It is freaky, though. Does anyone think they are paranormal?

I also have a lot of happenings that I call synchronicity. For example, when is the last time you thought of Laurel and Hardy? Or the 80's pop band Flock of Seagulls? Or someone falling down a well? Or <pick something relatively obscure>?

Well, I might have an experience like this, all in one day. My wife will be talking about how her dad used to be a big Laurel and Hardy fan, then I'll be flicking through the channels on TV and come across a show about Laurel and Hardy. Then later that night I'll be reading a book and some character will label a couple of cops, as being Laurel and Hardy because one is fat and one is thin.

Repeat the same pattern for the band Flock of Seagulls--I might see a flock of seagulls, I might hear a song by Flock of Seagulls, and I might see something on TV where a character uses the phrase "flock of seagulls."

This happens to me about twice a month. Is it paranormal? I don't think so, but it's extremely weird. My family thinks I'm strange.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

Okay, I have three instances to offer; the first two I was alone and the second with DW.

1. Had just finished working on a friend’s car and walked back to my 69 Ford Maverick by myself to put my tool box in the trunk before going home. My car was parked on the street. As I opened the trunk (which did not have a light) I thought to myself I sure could use a light to see where to put this tool box. Suddenly, the fog lights on the truck parked behind me turned on... at first, it was nice to see and I placed the box in. Then it hit me. I turned around to see the lights on the truck, went to check the doors and they were locked!

2. Came home from work and went into my walk-in closet (no door on it) then walked over to the bathroom to relieve myself after the long commute home. As I sat there, a Mylar ballon which was in my closet followed me into the bathroom, dipping below two door seals and making two 90 degree turns to get there. I thought to myself, if you are a friendly spirit please go back. It stopped, and went back into the closet!!! I was dumbfounded.

3. Sitting in my backyard with DW gazing into the night sky looking for satellites flying by, when I noticed a large triangle shaped object with three glowing cells below it (I guess engines?) moving very slowing low across the sky. It was running silently - no sound. Hard to see as it seemed to absorb the orange street lights. The thing was very large, but moved out of sight with no engine noise at all. You almost had to unfocus your eyes to see it as it seemed to reflect it’s surroundings. For those of you who have seen the movie the predator, it was like the predator when in invisible mode. DW was there and saw it too. UFO.

Last item which may be considered is I had a vision one night of my child being born, and a voice telling me that we will have a daughter. My wife wasn’t pregnant and we weren’t trying to conceive. DW expecting a few months later and we chose not to know the sex. The delivery room experience was exactly the vision I saw earlier. I told the delivery doctor I knew the sex even though it was not disclosed. She confirmed my vision when my daughter came out.

All true stories over several decades of my life.
Steeler75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:35 PM   #126
Administrator

Quote:
...Does anyone think they are paranormal?....
Nope. I'm just Abby Normal.
Old 12-17-2020, 01:57 PM   #127
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Nope. I'm just Abby Normal.
So, you’re not Hans Delbrück?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:58 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

A friend and I experienced a UFO in the LA area in 1973, still remember it like yesterday. It was close enough to hit with a sling-shot and definitely not of this world. Completely changes ones view of the universe...
VungTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 09:11 PM   #129

Quote:
I also have a lot of happenings that I call synchronicity. For example, when is the last time you thought of Laurel and Hardy? Or the 80's pop band Flock of Seagulls? Or someone falling down a well? Or <pick something relatively obscure>?

Well, I might have an experience like this, all in one day. My wife will be talking about how her dad used to be a big Laurel and Hardy fan, then I'll be flicking through the channels on TV and come across a show about Laurel and Hardy. Then later that night I'll be reading a book and some character will label a couple of cops, as being Laurel and Hardy because one is fat and one is thin.
I had one of these synchronicity episodes tonight! At the dinner table we were talking about the Today show and the new host(s) on it. My wife says, "The Today show? What network is that on?" So I answer, "NBC and it's on in the early morning from 7 to 10." She didn't get it so I elaborated, "Remember when we were growing up and Jane Pauley replaced Barbara Walters? And then Deborah Norville replaced Jane Pauley?" That triggered the memories for her, "Yeah, I remember Jane Pauley."

Later on we're watching an episode of Fraiser. One of the games we play when we watch episodes is to try to guess the real identity of the people that call into Fraiser's radio show. Well tonight, you guessed it, the caller was Jane Pauley.

Two days ago I was watching an episode of The Best of Carson on Peacock network during my exercise routine. Johnny's guest?--Jane Pauley. I haven't thought about or heard the name Jane Pauley in ages and here it pops up three times in a couple of days.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:30 AM   #130
gone traveling

When I take melatonin to help with sleep, there are some vivid dreams I have on occasion.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Ancient Aliens is a great show. A bit of comedy and occasionally something you can ponder on. Anyway, it is a great escape from everything that is going on in the news.
WWDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

I had a dream visit from a friend this morning. The holiday season was her favorite time of the year. Whether this was an actual after death communication (ADC) -- that's an actual term -- or just a product of the subconscious mind is a matter of belief.

Similar to the phrase "loved ones in heaven looking down on us". A matter of belief.
Synchronicity - Oh, yeah!
Old 12-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Synchronicity - Oh, yeah!

I've mentioned this story before, in relation to "flying" as a hobby.

Late 60's, I was taking perhaps my 5th flying lesson when the engine in the small trainer exploded into pieces. Amazingly rare, but it has to happen to someone, right? Fortunately, my instructor was able to put the plane down safely in a winter wheat field. So far, exciting but no Twilight Zone moments.

Fast Forward 20 years, my mom gave me a balloon ride for my 40th BD. The balloon pilot went to a couple of his favorite launch sites, but didn't like the nearly still wind. It might have forced us to come down in the city. SO, we went out of town and launched. The ride was so slow that we traversed perhaps 2 or 3 miles in half an hour.

What are the chances? We floated slowly across the very field where 20 years before I had landed in the crippled trainer. The pilot radioed the chase truck where we would be landing in 5 minutes. We could see a nice open field a few hundred feet ahead. Suddenly, there was a strong puff of wind in our faces. This almost never happens in a ballon because you ARE the wind. There was apparently a frontal boundary or other weather phenomenon and NOW instead of creeping toward our safe landing spot, we were going the opposite direction - back across the impromptu landing field of years before. Now we were going 20 mph toward forest - and we were virtually out of propane. The pilot took his last shot and "dumped" the balloon in a guy's back yard, just before the forest and a sure disaster. As it was DW and I were both bruised and battered as the ballon had to drop fast to avoid the trees.

Okay, in unison now, synchronicity?

Another synchronicity event: Perhaps 20 years ago, I participated in a local festival which had lots of charity events. It's a lot of hard work for a couple of days, but raises a good deal of money. So far, no Outer Limits or Rod Serling moments. I finished my shift late Sunday afternoon and planned to drive home (from out in the County.) There was a teen (15 or 16) young man there I'd worked side-by-side with and I offered him a lift home as it was relatively close by. His parent would have had to fight the traffic to come pick him up and he had no car of his own.

So I drove him the couple of miles and dropped him off at a really nice house "out in the country" as we city folk would say. The area was recently developed and had really nice "estates." I knew the kid was "from money" but could have cared less. Next door, there was even a small horse farm with a huge riding meadow, large barn, etc. I could have been in Kentucky.

Next day (Monday) at w*rk, a coworker casually asked me if I had ever seen "Joe Blow's" new horse farm. I had no idea that Joe Blow had money as he used to live in my lower-middle class neighborhood. We were not close but would wave if we saw each other in the old neighborhood. We'd exchange pleasantries at w*rk on occasion. Turned out Joe's wife had inherited a nice chunk of money recently. So as my coworker began to describe Joe Blow's new place, I realized it was the horse farm I had noticed when I dropped off the kid the day before. Synchronicity? You decide as YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Telephone rang this morning.....I thought "I'll bet that's DW's daughter calling about Christmas plans".

Naah..it was a telemarketer.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 02:31 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Telephone rang this morning.....I thought "I'll bet that's DW's daughter calling about Christmas plans".

But THEN. Today. You find out. DW's daughter has become, a, a..., a telemarketer! Doo, do, doo, do... doo, do, doo, do. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
But THEN. Today. You find out. DW's daughter has become, a, a..., a telemarketer! Doo, do, doo, do... doo, do, doo, do. YMMV
Touché.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 12:26 AM   #137
Dryer sheet aficionado

#1 I decided one weekend to sleep in my living room in a pullout bed. About 3:00 am, I was startled awake when the tri-fold partition screen next to the bed fell on top of me. I turned on the light, set the screen back up, and went back to sleep. Didn't think much about it. The next night, the same thing happened at about the same time. How could the screen fall over like that; it was not a heavy screen, but it would need some force to push it over. And it had never fallen over before (or after that). I live alone and had no pets at that time. All windows & doors were shut and there were no drafts. It was not in contact with the bed, either, so very unlikely any movements I made while asleep would've jostled it.

About a week later, I was in the kitchen washing a few dishes by hand. As I was turning to place a rinsed dish on an adjoining counter, I pivoted to my right, and that's when I was unable to move my right foot. It felt like something was holding my foot down for a few seconds. I was now a little freaked out because of this experience and the 2 falling screen incidents from the prior week.

I thought about the history of the house and then remembered that the elderly man who sold the house to me in 1989 had told me that his son, 17 years old at the time, had died suddenly while mowing the lawn. Also, his wife had died suddenly in the kitchen: They were getting ready to eat breakfast - he went to the garage for a minute and when he came back she was dead, slumped over with her head on the table. I am not a superstitious person, but it did make me think a little. I never had any other strange experiences . . . but I don't sleep in the living room anymore.

#2 Years ago, a friend used to live in a rental house in the Seward Park neighborhood of Seattle. She is a CPA and worked fulltime while her widowed elderly mother stayed at home all day. Shortly after they moved into this home, the mother told my friend that she would sometimes see an old man walking across the hallway between different rooms in the house. The mother said the man was white-haired and dressed in a white shirt and white pants. My friend assured her mother she was just dreaming as the mother would doze off on occasion while sitting for hours in the living room, watching TV or knitting. After living in the house for about a year, my friend bought a home of her own. Before leaving the neighborhood, my friend was chatting with the next-door neighbor and lightheartedly mentioned her mother "seeing" an old man in the house. That's when my friend was told that the former owner and resident of that house was a man, now deceased, who lived there for decades and was known for wearing white.

#3 About 10 years ago, another friend Anna was with her mother and sister at a casino in Tulalip, WA celebrating their elderly mother's birthday. They were dining at one of the restaurants when Anna saw her deceased brother Phil standing a short distance away, looking at the mother. Anna said she didn't know the moment when he appeared as he "was just there" when she looked up. She immediately said to her sister, "look, there's Phil", at which time her sister also witnessed the brother standing there. Then, he just "wasn't there" anymore. (Anna said her mother was not paying attention and did not see Phil.) Anna said Phil was very close to their mother, often checking on her and taking her to that very same casino on a regular basis. I have known Anna for 30 years as a close personal friend and was also a coworker of hers for 12 years. She is a very stable, down-to-earth person who does not use drugs or alcohol.

#4 I spent a lot of time at a local nursing home where my Dad spent the last 3 years of his life. I became well acquainted with the staff there. One of the nursing assistants told me that she once had to go down to the laundry room, located in the basement of the building, late at night. That's when she saw the apparition of a recently deceased long-term resident of the nursing home. She said only the top half of him appeared. After that experience, she said she has avoided going down to the basement by herself late at night.

#5 I have 2 friends, a couple, who bought a house in Sammamish, WA about 20 years ago. Very nice home located next to a golf course. After living there for awhile, they would occasionally hear faint voices, like some mumblings, but it was not clear what was being said or where the voice was coming from. At first, they thought it must be coming from outside, perhaps neighbors passing by or kids from a distance, but they ruled that out. It seemed it was coming from the heat vents or air ducts. One night, the wife was startled awake in bed when she felt someone or something tugging on her hair, and then a woman's voice saying "Leave him alone!". They quickly turned on the lights, but no one was there. What the heck was that?? They sold and moved out of the house as soon as they could. Again, these people are intelligent, emotionally stable people with no history of drug or alcohol abuse.

#6 In 2016, I had a contractor do a major renovation on a rental house in the Queen Anne Hill neighborhood of Seattle. The house is 114 years old. Shortly after the renovation was completed, the contractor told me he experienced some unusual things. He was at first hesitant to tell me, but thought I should know. While working in the basement, he heard footsteps upstairs like someone walking around. He immediately went upstairs because no one else was supposed to be in the house. He found no one. Another time, he heard noises coming from another room, but when he checked he found no one. He was the only one working in the house and both front and back door and all windows were closed and locked, so no one could've entered.

One day, he had just finished installing a new fan vent on the bathroom ceiling. He went outside to his truck for a minute to get another tool. When he returned to the bathroom, he saw that a couple of the screws, which he used to secure the fan vent into the ceiling, were now on the floor. How can that be? No one else was working in the house. The screws were not loose, they were firmly attached. It would've taken a person to apply some pressure to unscrew them. Again, the front door and all windows were closed and locked, so no one could've gotten in that way. And the back door, not more than 15 feet from his parked truck in the backyard, was clearly visible to him. It would be very difficult for someone to have entered and exited the house without the contractor noticing, especially in that short a time.

Very strange. I wonder if the spirit of someone who lived in the house from a long time ago was upset by all the noise, drilling, hammering, etc. while the house was being "torn apart". Maybe the spirit was protesting because the renovation was altering the character of the house and the spirit wanted to keep it the same, keep it "familiar". LOL!

#7 About 10 years ago, my brother-in-law received a phone call around midnight. The caller did not identify herself but said "Hi (nickname of brother-in-law), how are you?". That's all he heard before the call abruptly disconnected. My brother-in-law recognized the voice as his mother's. (His mother and only a few in the immediate family addressed him with that nickname; everyone else called him by his birth name.) My brother-in-law could think of no one else it could've been. He was unable to trace the call through caller ID. The spooky part is his mother had died several years prior to this call. Could it have been someone playing a prank? And, no, my brother-in-law does not use drugs and is a teetotaler. He has a Ph.d in theoretical physics, has a high level security clearance, and has worked many years for a major defense contractor.

#8 Another strange phone event occurred about 40 years ago when my Dad received a call from a friend Jack who he had not heard from for awhile. Jack was also a friend of my Dad's brother-in-law, Carl. Over the phone, Jack told my Dad that he had lost Carl's phone number and could my Dad get this information for him. My Dad took a minute to get his address book out and relay this information to Jack over the phone. A couple of weeks later, my Dad was visiting Carl and asked if Jack had gotten ahold of him. Carl said, no, how could that be? Jack had died the prior year, months ago. My Dad insisted it was Jack because Jack had a very unique raspy-growly voice that you could not mistake for anyone else. And no, my Dad was not senile (he was in his early 60's at the time), did not use alcohol, and was not on any medications or drugs.

#9 When he was a teenager, a friend and former coworker (retired Federal Investigator) was walking to the store. He saw a UFO drifting above a low building for a little while before it dipped down and disappeared on the other side. He said it looked like a silver metallic object shaped like a flattened disc (typical stereotype of a flying saucer). This was in the late 1960's in San Antonio, TX. My friend said he didn't dare tell anyone what he saw because they would call him crazy, and he himself did not know if he was just imagining it. A couple days later, he found out a woman claimed she saw a similar object on the same day in roughly the same vicinity.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There may be a psychological, logical, or scientific explanation for all of the above. I know what I experienced and had no reason to doubt the experiences described by my friends and relatives - they were dead (lol) serious. But were these incidents real or were our minds, ears, or eyes playing tricks on us? Was it rare coincidence, or someone playing a prank? Who really knows, and some things may forever remain a mystery. I like to keep an open mind, though. Who would've believed back in 1700 that we could send a man to the moon, or communicate with someone halfway around the world with a little hand-held gizmo. Will Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos or some other future visionary find another planet to live on? The realm of possibilities keeps evolving and advancing the more we learn and discover.
gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:08 AM   #138

Quote:
I can't cope with normal, let alone paranormal.
I enjoyed this the most of all the replies.

When I was a kid, I went camping with a couple friends one summer. The spot was a small clearing on a pine forested island in a lake in Canada. We were sitting between the tent and the fire after dark, just talking about whatever. At some point, we noticed that across the fire, at the edge of the woods, there was a faint, white appearance about a foot high, but a couple feet off the ground. It just looked like a fuzzy patch that was suspended in the air. After some time and concern, we finally realized that it was one of the nearby farmer's cows come to check us out.

I have never had any paranormal experience and never expect to.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:32 AM   #139

Quote:

Good one!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:36 AM   #140

Here's a strange one that's been happening my entire life: Whenever I look for something that is missing, it's always in the last place that I look for it.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote