Parking Lot for Women

MasterBlaster

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
An official in Shijiazhuang, China, told Agence France-Presse in December that the city's new "women only" parking lot was designed to meet females' "strong sense of color and different sense of distance." That is, the spaces are 3 feet wider than regular spaces and painted pink and purple. Also, attendants have been "trained" to "guide" women into parking spaces. [BBC News, 12-28-09]

Germany has parking spaces reserved for women at some stores. Spots are the same but up close to the door. They also have family parking spaces many places and those are wider so there's more room between cars when you're unloading/loading the little ones. I really liked those!

I had interpreted the larger parking spaces and the attendant guides as an indication of female parking ability.

This thread could get ugly quick.

An old friend in Denmark has invented the term, "frauenparken". Basically, she parks wherever she wants and pulls the little-old-lady (or "lillie-gammel-fru"?) routine if challenged. :LOL:

I'm keeping my eye on this thread for future reference...:bat:.....:whistle:

Well, there is that depth perception problem, maybe they are addressing that in a proactive way? :whistle::D

When I was w*rking, I would have loved to have access to a parking lot just for women. Who cares about the size or color of the spaces - - I was afraid to work after dark because the parking lot seemed dangerous to me, despite the rent-a-cops that patrolled when they felt like it.

So, I chose to arrive early and to be sitting at my desk by 6 AM so that I could leave early. For some reason, scary looking characters don't seem to lurk in the dark at 6 AM nearly as much as they do at 6 PM. A parking lot for women only would have made me feel a lot safer.

attendants have been "trained" to "guide" women into parking spaces

_BEL7174%20Ground%20Crew%20l.jpg

I have to admit that I am not the best driver when maneuvering in tight spots. We lived in some places with pretty small garages(well, I guess they were normal sized) and my husband used to hang a tennis ball so that I could steer towards it...when it hit the windshield square in my face the car was parked perfectly. My garage now is pretty big but I worry about pulling far enough in. When I crash in to the birdbath or the planters, I know I can close the door behind me. I never attempt to parallel park anyplace.

I will have to say that my daughter has no concept of where the back wheels are nor where they will end up when she is trying to park. It is as if only the part of the car from the steering wheel forward exists.

The tennis ball trick is important in our family as well.

I guess I drive/park pretty well since DH's motorcycle is parked in the garage on my side. I have less than a foot between the front of my car and his bike. I haven't hit it....yet....:whistle:

Here is my low tech solution for driving my Mustang into the garage, so it is perfectly positioned every single time. :D
I duct taped a 2"x2"x3' piece of pressure treated wood to the floor on my side of the garage where I park my Mustang for the winter season.
I need to leave enough room to pass by in front of it to get to the tool chest in the corner and not have certain people scratch it when walking by :mad:, and enough room behind it so the descending overhead door doesn't blemish my baby's bumper. :(
When I "feel" the tire hitting the wood, it's time to stop and let the car slide back just an iota. :cool:

I guess I drive/park pretty well since DH's motorcycle is parked in the garage on my side. I have less than a foot between the front of my car and his bike. I haven't hit it....yet....:whistle:

We have the same situation. And woe be unto you if you do hit it...:nonono:

I gave up critiquing women drivers when I saw Shirley Muldowney running top fuel licencing runs at Cayuga Drag Strip in the early seventies. A few years later another lady won the Heavy Eliminator class causing much pain and chagrin to many of my friends running the same class.

Back
Top Bottom