Join Early Retirement Today

Part time jobs
Old 09-20-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Part time jobs

I turn 50 this year. I'm planning on retiring from an organization I've been with for 28 years (full benefits). Although I could stay and work another 3 years to make everything cashflow, I could retire, move to where I want to be and make it work IF I had a part time job for 3 years.

Here is my question: How available are part time jobs for 50 year olds? I'm very optomistic and not very picky in what I am willing to do - BUT I've not had to look for a job in 28 years, and with the horrible job reports on the news every day I just hate to jump out and there be nothing for me.

Any comments?
Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Part time, no benefit jobs may be more available than ever, particularly in the service sector, and these jobs are disproportionately held by older workers these days. The economic trend is taking us away from full-time, career-oriented jobs with benefits and more toward part time jobs with no benefits. If all you need is a part time job with no benefits, I doubt you'll have too much trouble finding it in most regions.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
gone traveling

Just a thought: Have you considered asking your current company about staying on as a part-time contractor after you declare retirement? They might even be willing to accommodate "telecommuting" from your city of choice.

I don't know what your line of work is, but it might be worth asking about.
bo_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
gone traveling

May be you should talk to one of the body shop companies (eg ManPower, Corestaff, etc) and see what they think about your employability as a part time worker.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd think twice about the depending on a part-time job idea. Many part-time jobs have schedules that are all over, and the worker may not be able to choose. And may be subject to a phone call to come in if someone doesn't show up. Pay can be poor, and hassles great. May work with some real losers, or some people who really should be on medication, but aren't.

I see a lot of older people in P-T jobs, most do not look happy. I knew ONE that liked his P-T job, he was waiting for his wife to retire, so he had an endpoint, then he left. I don't think there are many decent jobs for older people. I sure wouldn't want to do what I see!

Any part-time job in retail versus being boiled in oil, I would ask what weight and brand of oil...

Looking at risks, it would seem to the casual observer that a few more years at a job you can do with decent $ will set you up, rather than what-ifs in a new area.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I think it really depends on what type of work you want to do. Some fields are more amenable to part time work than others. In my case (I am an attorney) I left full-time work 2 years ago and went to a very part-time schedule. It has worked great.

But, without knowing what kind of work you want to do and what pay range you are looking for, it is hard to know whether part-time work is a viable option or not.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

Thank you everyone for some great responses. I'm looking at not over $600.00/month additional income as I pay some things off.
Jboles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Doing taxes part time for Block generates about that type of income with some flexibility and a part year schedule. when I retired I thought I'd have tons of options for part time work and found it is just not so.
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
gone traveling

A PT j*b is still a j*b, and that means that somebody owns your time, even if it is at a reduced rate than when you w*rked FT.

No thanks.

If I were you, I would seriously consider staying the extra time to "make it work", and walk away with no regrets...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #10

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I think it really depends on what type of work you want to do. Some fields are more amenable to part time work than others.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:58 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
A PT j*b is still a j*b, and that means that somebody owns your time, even if it is at a reduced rate than when you w*rked FT.

No thanks.

If I were you, I would seriously consider staying the extra time to "make it work", and walk away with no regrets...
I agree, I think your present employer will value the services of a 50+ guy, way way more than anybody else out there.

Virtually every report, (and my 3 over 50 unemployed/underemployed friends) will tell you that is very hard for unemployed 50 year to find a job.

600/month*3 year = $21K. I got to believe that you can make in a year or so in your current position.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:36 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Three years is not really that long, especially given your relatively young age. I would probably stick it out. If the markets continue to do well, your investments may appreciate enough to make an earlier ER date feasible. If they don't, you still have income coming in and can re-evaluate.

That being said, depending on where you are and what your temperament is, you could probably pull in $600/month easily doing before/after school care or something like that. Kids age 6-12ish are pretty easy to deal with, but parents don't always feel comfortable with them being unsupervised at that age. If I were in the states, I would certainly be willing to pay decently for someone responsible who could feed them a snack and help with any homework questions before I take them home for dinner.
lhamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It might help to know what type of occupation you are in now such that a determination of part time work availability can be made.

Unless you just want to hold a "Matress half price" sign on the street corner for minimum wage.

For example, we are software engineers. I am counting on the fact that we can pick up some part time work each year when we ER by taking software contracts (3 to 6 month hopefully).

If your current occupation is in something else....say, bank manager, I think it would be quite hard to continue that part time.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #14

If you are planning to move, I would suggest taking a trip there now to check out details on both the costs and income side of things. Talk to older workers doing a job you could see yourself doing and ask them how they like it and how hard it was to get the job. Check out Craigslist for that area which seems to be the hotspot for part-time jobs in many cities these days.

If it all feels right after that, then go for it!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I'd think twice about the depending on a part-time job idea....
Any part-time job in retail versus being boiled in oil, I would ask what weight and brand of oil...

Looking at risks, it would seem to the casual observer that a few more years at a job you can do with decent $ will set you up, rather than what-ifs in a new area.
I disagree somewhat... if you can find a P/T job in retail or whatever doing something that you like to do or working with products you enjoy, then it can be a good experience. For example, I know a guy in my local bicycle club that works P/T as a bike mechanic and enjoys it.
Col. Klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I got 5 years of PT employment with my last employer and was able to keep same pay rate per hour with the same FT benefits. It was a nice way to transition into full retirement. I have been in full retirement for a year.
FreeAtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #17

As Clifp stated if your only looking for $600 per month I would stick to my present job for awhile.
This week I worked a show where a bunch of retirees were working their butts off settting up and tearing down - roadie type work. One of them told me I could get on their crew when I retired - I replyed - " I don't work that hard now why would I want to do it when I retire."
Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Another option is to trim your budget some such that you don't need $600 a month. Heck, that is barely an Iphone a month, which is about the rate everyone upgrades these days.

Seriously though...there are things to look at, depending on where you are in your budget. You may qualify now for healthcare subsidy for example (in 2014). The extra income from a part time job may put you over the 400% of poverty level = no subsidy. There are also usually some costs even with part time work (more driving expenses, more clothing expenses, eating out more).
Old 09-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5
As Clifp stated if your only looking for $600 per month I would stick to my present job for awhile.
This week I worked a show where a bunch of retirees were working their butts off settting up and tearing down - roadie type work. One of them told me I could get on their crew when I retired - I replyed - " I don't work that hard now why would I want to do it when I retire."
Before I retired, I was enamored with the idea of a minimal paid job at a golf course or retail. But reality fortunately hit me, as sometimes we get disconnect with our professional salary and Mickey mouse job salaries. A minimum wage type job becomes a near FULL TIME job, if you need $600 extra. Fortunately for me, I stayed on another year which got rid of the long term problem, and have found part-time jobs within my field that pay way better than those, plus I get the preferable days worked that I dictate.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Before I retired, I was enamored with the idea of a minimal paid job at a golf course or retail. But reality fortunately hit me, as sometimes we get disconnect with our professional salary and Mickey mouse job salaries. A minimum wage type job becomes a near FULL TIME job, if you need $600 extra. Fortunately for me, I stayed on another year which got rid of the long term problem, and have found part-time jobs within my field that pay way better than those, plus I get the preferable days worked that I dictate.
This is spot on.

$600 a month is $7,200 a year. A min wage part time job is only going to net you $17,000 a year after taxes even if you end up working 39 hours each week. Subtract out $2,000 to $4,000 for commuting, eating out, clothing, and you are looking at net $15,000 to as little as $13,000 if you work almost FULL time.