Party Trick Trunk Show

Janet H

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I cam across this list of 37 things you'll regret where your old: Those Top 37 Things You’ll Regret When You’re Old and most of them are Good common sense things. 'Not traveling when you had the chance' and 'Not quitting a terrible job' aren't surprising but I noted that one of them was "Never mastering one awesome party trick"... interesting. hmm...

I may need to up my game. My awesome party tricks are well... lame; really only suitable for late night, well lubricated parties - a holdover from undergrad parties. My current inventory includes hanging a spoon from my nose (hands free) and doing the William Tell Overture hambone style.

Do you have any signature party tricks? How often do you pull them out of the closet?

Dang, thanks for the new source of inadequacy, Janet! ;)
I have...nothing, absolutely nothing (except sharing HFWR's exceptional abilities).

Perhaps some others will chime in and teach this old dog a new trick or two...

Hey now, I didn't know hooping qualified as a party trick! I think only the fire hoop is really party worthy though.

And I left that snake down in the Amazon! He's probably 8 feet long by now! :)

Mine is to take a wire coat hanger, pull on the long straight part until the hanger forms a diamond shape with a hook on the end, hang it from my finger with the hook at the bottom, lay a coin on the end of the hook that's pointing up, and spin the hanger around my finger a few times without the coin falling off and stopping it with the coin still balanced on the hook.

Party tricks? Since I avoid parties, that's not a problem. :)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I used to be good at an easy card trick. You ask someone to take a card from the deck, look at it and put it back on top of the deck. You then put the deck behind your back and show the person another card and say "That's not your card, right?" He confirms. Then you tell him his card to his amazement. Of course, when you showed him the card that was NOT his card, you palmed the top card and looked at it. Simple, easy to master, impressive - unless you meet someone who actually knows card tricks. Then you look like an idiot.

A good buddy used to do a cigarette trick. He would lay a cigarette on the table and then draw an imaginary lasso around it. At that point, he would pull the lasso toward his admiring (well, yes, it was usually a girl) spectator and the cigarette would follow. If he had a buddy sitting next to the girl, the lasso would even pull the cigarette back - but only if the buddy also knew about blowing on the cigarette.

Same buddy could blow smoke from his eye - but the only "trick" was that his lacrimal duct was sufficiently open to allow this otherwise impossible trick. He used to win free drinks with this trick - which was not worth the red eye he always ended up with.

Another good trick. Guy walks up to another guy who is wearing a neck tie. He grabs the tie and with one yank, he pulls the tie from his neck. Saw this trick go wrong once when guy no. 2 had not had time to place his tie inside the collar folded rather than actually around his neck. Hilarious mayhem ensued. Alcohol WAS involved - as in most party tricks, I suppose, so YMMV.

I can make a butter knife go through a tabletop (while hanging a spoon on my nose and followed up with.... Well, never mind, but cutlery is your friend when it comes to party tricks).

But at our last gathering the trick was deciding who had the longest scar from surgery, shortly after exclaiming how was it possible it had been so many years since college.

I used to make a bar bet that 98% of the time got a free smoke and a beer. You tie any cigarette in a knot, then untie it and let the owner have a perfect smoke. No holes are made; not much fun after you quit drinking and smoking!

Back
Top Bottom