Password Managers

B-Guy

Recycles dryer sheets
I know this has been discussed, but doesn't look like it has been for a while and technology changes quickly..

What Password Managers are you currently using and how do you like them. Good and bad.

I have a friend that is looking for something for her phone and computer. It would preferably sync between her phone and desktop. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I have been using DataVault and have been for many years. It is a bit difficult to get started with, but it uses Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) which is extremally secure. I like the ability to sync between iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android, Mac, Windows and BlackBerry. Just wanted to get opinions from you all before making a recommendation to my friend.

I have 1Password which will do what she wants. I had LastPass before but I much prefer 1Password.

I use LastPass. I have not tried any others. LastPass does what you say your friend needs. It has its flaws and annoyances but I'm happy enough not to shop around just to find the flaws and annoyances of the alternatives. Obviously that's not a glowing recommendation, just my honest opinion as a user for about 2 years.

1Password.

Lastpass has been hacked way too many times and the last time it was poorly communicated to their users. Plus they monetize their paying customers using trackers.

1Password.

I wasn't thrilled when v8 required using their online syncing service. I played around with a few KeePass compatible programs but couldn't find anything that worked nearly as well, so I eventually caved in & went back to 1Password. So far it's been fine, hopefully they don't start having the same issues that LastPass has been having.

Last edited:
I have used KeePass for many years, as it was one of the first to support multiple operating systems. I like that it does not rely on offline storage, but that is a drawback for the causal user, as one has to consciously decide where their primary keepass database resides. And rely on OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud, their local shared storage solution, etc to get the desired level of backup redundancy. KeePassXC can automatically pick up on changes made to a shared DB accessible from different devices, but it does not sync them itself. Its attraction is more about being open source and not requiring exposure to the cloud to operate; though most people would probably want to put their encrypted password DB on some cloud service or rely on some other service to backup their DB.

I have used KeePass for many years, as it was one of the first to support multiple operating systems. I like that it does not rely on offline storage, but that is a drawback for the causal user, as one has to consciously decide where their primary keepass database resides. And rely on OneDrive, Google Drive, iCloud, their local shared storage solution, etc to get the desired level of backup redundancy. KeePassXC can automatically pick up on changes made to a shared DB accessible from different devices, but it does not sync them itself. Its attraction is more about being open source and not requiring exposure to the cloud to operate; though most people would probably want to put their encrypted password DB on some cloud service or rely on some other service to backup their DB.

I too use Keepass. I also rely on Google Drive, etc for easy access to some accounts where hacking is an annoyance but not a problem ‘. For financial accounts, I store my data on a Kingston and back it up with a Kingston stored in a fireproof safe. Not convenient in the least but I think it offers the best password protection.

iCloud Keychain.

Bitwarden. Works on all my devices, modern interface, browser support, FREE

Former LastPass user that converted to 1Password. Generally speaking, I like it. I've only scratched the surface of what it can do. For example, 1Password can store the secondary security questions that some sites ask you. Also, I found a way to create a macro for logging onto IRS.GOV which was quite handy. This was something LastPass could never have done.

Sometimes, almost certainly because of user error, when generating new passwords for sites that require periodic changing the passwords, I have to start over by telling the site I forgot the password and have them send me a new one.

The learning curve was nowhere near as steep as LastPass, plus their support is superior. More features in 1Password as well. Easy, seamless transitioning between PC, phone, and tablet.

1Password for me as well. I use it on several Windows machines, my iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and a handful of Linux systems. It will do 2 Factor replacing Google Authenticator and now has the ability to sign on to sites using credential such as Google, Github, Facebook and etc. Also can use hardware tools such as Yubikey. More than one person will ever use I think.

Roboform (Everywhere version) https://www.roboform.com. integrates with our Win10 PCs and our Apple devices. when a URL and password is added, deleted or modified the Everywhere' version wiil auto-update the database on all devices.

I'm glad to see so many 1Password recommendations here. I've been happily using it since it first came out over 15 years ago. Syncs flawlessly across all my devices and with the Family plan my DW is able to use it as well. I have always considered it the best of breed in this category.

I'm glad to see so many 1Password recommendations here. I've been happily using it since it first came out over 15 years ago. Syncs flawlessly across all my devices and with the Family plan my DW is able to use it as well. I have always considered it the best of breed in this category.

I agree. I used Lastpass for years before moving to 1Password a couple of years ago and 1Password is much better. I have the family plan, which makes it easy to share common passwords, and the concept of vaults is easy to comprehend and manage.

I just back it up along with all my other files and store all that inside another encrypted container on flash drives and small hard-drives at home.
Nothing in the "cloud".

Great posts so far. This is an excellent start on what I should suggest for my friend. There was a couple mentioned that I was unfamiliar with. I have looked at many of the sites and there are several that should be a good fit for her.

Personally I still love DataVault and have since I first started using it many years ago. It was the only one that fulfilled my needs at the time. Especially the ability to configure custom templates with many fields and all the different OS's it would run on.

However she is not very computer savvy so DataVault wouldn't likely be a good fit for her.

Last edited:
I know this has been discussed, but doesn't look like it has been for a while and technology changes quickly..

What Password Managers are you currently using and how do you like them. Good and bad.

I have a friend that is looking for something for her phone and computer. It would preferably sync between her phone and desktop. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I have been using DataVault and have been for many years. It is a bit difficult to get started with, but it uses Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) which is extremally secure. I like the ability to sync between iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android, Mac, Windows and BlackBerry. Just wanted to get opinions from you all before making a recommendation to my friend.
1Password is my vote. It's probably worth going to the site and skimming a few whitepapers before recommending. But it is aimed at regular peeps.

You can get a quick idea of user feedback and angst at the 1Password subReddit. Official support answers there too.

Bitwarden. Works on all my devices, modern interface, browser support, FREE

+1

Bitwarden is, IMHO, the best free password manager available. Doesn't get nearly enough attention compared to the paid ones. Even the paid version is only $10/year and is really feature-rich.

Looks like it boils down to how comfortable you are with storing data in the cloud and if you’re not, how good are you at backing up your data and syncing between devices. No matter which way you choose, good encryption is key to your security.

So far, here is what has been suggested for a password manager,1Password, Bitwarden, Dashlane, iCloud, KeePass, LastPass, Roboform. The majority of those who responded chose 1Password for a password manager. I have found a couple others not mentioned yet. After looking on their websites from your suggestions, there are several that would be good choices.

Still deciding what I should suggest for my friend.

Thanks for all your suggestions to date.

I used Lastpass for years. However, they have had a couple of hacks, and I don't trust them as much. That, and, they want money to work of desktop and tablet.

I downloaded their vault and installed it on Bitwarden, also free. A bit of a learning curve, and I changed all the financial passwords.

Still like Lastpass, and keep it, without, financial passwords.

check out youtube Twit. Search Lastpass. They use to be a sponsor and now bitwarden. They have several videos on recent Lastpass breaches. Don't know how much it has to do with change of sponsorship.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom