Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another +1 for Keepass.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use KeePass because it is free. It is easy to setup and use. Autofill won't work for me at Vanguard but does at Fidelity. At most sites the autofill doesn't work but I just drag and drop the userid then the password. I now have complex userids and passwords. KeePass lets you print your database and I keep a copy in my safe deposit box. No experience with any other password manager.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

1Password is my utility of choice. I have it on my Desktop, phone and tablet and it can sync among those platforms, cloud or not (though using the cloud is more convenient). As noted for some other programs, auto login does not work with every site.
Greg V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I still use Whisper 32. Mostly because I've been using it for about 15 years. I should move over to Keepass, especially since they added Whisper import capability. I like Whisper, but would recommend Keepass to someone looking for a password manager.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I like MyPadlock
Old 05-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post
1Password is my utility of choice. I have it on my Desktop, phone and tablet and it can sync among those platforms
+1
I've used 1Password for years, and it hasn't ever failed me.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for all the feedback everyone. As was mentioned, the amount of passwords to keep track of is really getting to be a pain.

I assume all these programs will generate robust passwords for you.

Do others besides KeePass allow drag and drop if auto fill doesn't work?
I am thinking that easily filling in the log in fields is the whole point of a manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
..... At most sites the autofill doesn't work but I just drag and drop the userid then the password. I now have complex userids and passwords. KeePass lets you print your database and I keep a copy in my safe deposit box. No experience with any other password manager.
Thanks again.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think both Password Safe and KeePass Password Safe will do everything you need. They are both free and actively maintained open source; so, you have nothing to lose by trying one or both of them to see if they work for you.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittingduck View Post
Do others besides KeePass allow drag and drop if auto fill doesn't work?
I am thinking that easily filling in the log in fields is the whole point of a manager.

Thanks again.
Roboform gives you a variety of ways to do it. The problem in my experience of several years has never been with auto fill. The problem at some sites is that you may not be able to auto fill and auto submit. For those sites, I set it up where it auto fills but doesn't auto submit (that is, Robofrom auto fills in everything and then I manually hit submit).

The other thing I like is that when you come to websites where you need to fill in information (name, address, etc.) Roboform will do that for me as well.

Of course, it does a lot of other stuff such as generate strong passwords and you can keep notes in it. I like that the master password and the cloud password can (and should) be different. Also, you don't have to store anything on the cloud if you don't want to.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittingduck View Post

I assume all these programs will generate robust passwords for you.
KeePass will generate a password but some sites don't allow special characters or are not case sensitive. I find it to be fun to generate my own complex userid and password for example userid - h7%cVW:+Kqa password - Ju8!beG?(9&viRM*zX
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

If the robust password generator isn't built in, there are plenty of generator programs out there. Of course, this means one more program to run. Here's a link to one such program that I've used and like: Download Random Password Generator 1.0 Free - Generates any quantity of passwords with one mouse click

Frankly, I think just as important (or perhaps more) is to have an anti-keylogger installed as if you have a simple password or a robust one, a keylogger can capture either easily. I think the chance of someone peeking over my shoulder or running a cracker against a sign in password is less than being hit with a keylogger.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #32

I am generally clueless about the programs mentioned here.
what do they do? save passwords? make a file of passwords? generate passwords? I would like to have a program that keeps my passwords and stores them. but that only I can access. is that what they do?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I would like to have a program that keeps my passwords and stores them. but that only I can access. is that what they do?
Yes.
Google the names, go to their websites and read the descriptions. Most have free trial versions.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

FYI... Dashlane
A new way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/06/te...nted=all&_r=1&

excerpt:

Quote:
The only decent solution is to install a dedicated password memorization program (like Roboform, KeePass, LastPass, 1Password, and so on). Last week, one of the best was just improved: Dashlane, now at 2.0. It’s attractive, effective, loaded with timesaving features and available for Mac, Windows, iPhone and Android — and it’s free.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
FYI... Dashlane
A new way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/06/te...nted=all&_r=1&

excerpt:
I assume you have to log into Dashlane when you want to use it, or be at risk of having your laptop/phone stolen and Dashlane helpfully supplying access to all the accounts and credit cards to the thief. Sounds nice, but I prefer to leave my password vault closed except when I'm using it.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I love this forum. I'm currently very frustrated by my antiquated password program (that nobody mentioned here). I need a new one. So, I think: "Joe, what does ER say?" I type in "password managers" on the search box above, and bingo, here I am.

It looks like "keepass" is winning and I'm going to give it a try. Dashlane actually looks like it does too much for me.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Here is an excellent review of LastPass by a well known security expert:

Here is the transcript of the LastPass discussion:

https://www.grc.com/sn/sn-256.htm

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I just downloaded the LastPass wallet for my phone. Haven't done anything with it yet, but still really impressed with the password manager. This looks like a nice add on and it was free.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am finally about to upgrade from my (once a smartphone) BlackBerry 9780. The Password Keeper app is BlackBerry secure, which I love, and when I back it up to my computer (BlackBerry Desktop Manager) I know I can get access to it again if I lose my phone. What concerns me is the wireless functions of the password apps (as opposed to Blackerry phone to computer) so far mentioned with regard to security. Any opinion re: wireless security issues for any of these apps? Thanks !
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote