Patato, Patatoe, Gimme a Brake

I'm an American - AND I lived 30 yrs in New Orleans learning to talk rite:

Spelling! I don't need no stinking spelling!

:D

heh heh heh - Now I have to out and make groceries. ;)

Heck, I only lived in the Big Easy 15 years, never did learn to talk rite. But then I also lived in Kentucky, so I caint hep it.

Been quite a while since I heard the expression 'make groceries'. Thanks for the memory.

Pet peeve, when people type loose when they mean lose.

I learned a new word the other day. It was on my hometown newspaper's forum, where grammar, spelling, 3rd grade sentence construction, etc. sometimes almost call for an interpreter.

"miswell"

Usage:
I miswell voice my opinion.

Despite never having seen *miswell* in print, I actually had heard the term often in my childhood, and was able to sound it out & decipher that it was used as a contraction for "might as well".

Roots in hick country can have value! :cool:

I learned a new word the other day. It was on my hometown newspaper's forum, where grammar, spelling, 3rd grade sentence construction, etc. sometimes almost call for an interpreter.

"miswell"

Usage:
I miswell voice my opinion.

Despite never having seen *miswell* in print, I actually had heard the term often in my childhood, and was able to sound it out & decipher that it was used as a contraction for "might as well".

Roots in hick country can have value! :cool:

How is miswell (probable future action) related to fixin' to (immediate or ongoing action)?
----------------------
Q: Speaking of true quotations, please repeat the statement that Sonda Ward of Nashville, Tenn., swears she heard made by a man expressing concern to a woman who had been unable to get a ride to a church function.
A: He said: ``Estelle, if I'd a knowed you'd a want to went, I'd a seed you'd a got to get to go.''

-Dave Barry

In the early part of the new "Iron Man" movie a magazine cover headline on Tony Stark's assumption of power from his father is shown. The headline states that he has "seized the reigns". Arrgh! A king reigns. A rider transmits his wishes to his horse with his reins. Tony may reign as the leader of his company, but if he is assuming control he's acting as the rider or wagon driver and guiding the company - he's seized the reins.

People who use "f" instead of "th" like when they say words like "norf" instead of "north" or "birfday" instead of "birthday."

I'm not talking about foreigners who can speak two or more languages and just find saying "th" very difficult because they don't use that sound in their native language. I'm talking about people born and raised here who went through 12 or more years of school in the United States.

People who use "f" instead of "th" like when they say words like "norf" instead of "north."

I'm not talking about foreigners who can speak two or more languages and just find saying "th" very difficult because they don't use that sound in their native language. I'm talking about people born and raised here who went through 12 or more years of school in the United States.

I had a problem with that when I was 6; I asked my mother to explain it to me over a holiday. When I went back to school the teacher complimented me for getting it right.

Was this thread referring to the GREAT Dan Quayle's pototoe moment?

YouTube - POTATOE

The same man who debated the Senator from the GREAT STATE of TEXAS, Mr. Lloyd Bentsen.

GOD BLESS US ALL:angel:

Was this thread referring to the GREAT Dan Quayle's pototoe moment?....
You’re onto me, Wags; I started this thread before the Soap Box section was started. The idea was a defense of imperfection on the internet.

One of my on-line instructors wanted every student to post in the discussion section, as in previous classes just a few people ever did. He set up the grades so that anyone who never posted would fail the class. His criteria was very low, he didn’t care about spelling, syntax, dangling this or that, just express yourself beyond "ditto," save the perfection for the term paper. Some people preferred dropping out to posting and others would get a ten word post in during the last hour of the last day, and so on.

Lurk not, post on! But It’s ok to take the thread off into another direction.

:rant:Where's that soap box smilie? Other forums have it.

Back
Top Bottom