Patio Doors................

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Need to replace my patio door. It is 20 years old and has soon better days. Do I got to Lowes for that?

I had a guy give me a quote last summer, but for $3500 I passed............ :eek: :eek: :eek:

I usually will try DIY first, but a buddy of mine says patio doors are a b#tch to install............... :confused: :confused:

What is a reasonable cost? I would like to replace 5 windows and the patio door and get it all done for under $3000............and not be drug-tested for thinking I can do that............. :LOL: :LOL:

Patio door as in sliding door or swing-out (french?) doors? I did a slider with my father-in-law, but we are both very much the DIY handy type guys.

I got a nice wood andersen sliding door from Home Depot, think it was around 11 or 12 hundred if I remember right.

NOTE THOUGH: sliding doors have different heights. Right before I was going to stain my new one, I double-checked the measurement with my existing door, and dang if they weren't different heights. I must have gone back and forth 3 times in disbelief, as I hadn't realized such a difference existed. To home depots credit they took it back, opened and all, no questions asked.

- John

Sliding door.................

they might not take back custom fit so if you are doing it yourself make sure you get those measurements right. also if you select metal frame with factory powder coat it will wear best if you don't paint over it.

I must have gotten the same Anderson Sliding Door from Home Depot for about the same price. They had a problem with the installation price on the computer. It would only let the salesperson charge me $30. He told me that it was more but he couldn't figure out how to get the computer to take it so that ended up being my price.

We put the old one in the alley way behind the house. Someone came through and took the aluminum. The second person took the glass and the only thing that was left was the insulation.

Somebody came and took my old one too, I forget if I sold it for a nominal amount or gave it away.

The funny thing was, the guy that took it was using old doors all over his house as windows, and while complaining about his girlfriend not liking it, somehow compared his 'genius idea' to that of mozart.

Sometimes people scare me :)

You can do it for about half price but, I would suggest going to DYINetwork.com and checking it out. Main thing is measuring, ordering, correct size and be sure to check out the flooring under the sill you may have to do some work down there if the door ever leaked water down there also use a HIGH Quality Silicone caulk when you put the new one in. Also be sure to note the sealing around the edges of the door. Be sure to know what Plumb and level means and how to shim a door for insulation. Good luck you should be able to do it and be sure you have someone to help you the door can "get away" from you.

Hopefully, depending on the measurements you can find a "off the shelf" model and not have to go the SO route (much cheaper, faster and can be returned for a refund if you think you got in over your head after you get it home).

Personally, I hate SGD and much prefer a FRENCH DOOR.

Again, good luck.

I had several quotes for 5 windows and one 8 foot sliding door in a 30 year old rental house. They were aluminum and single pane. Ended up with retrofit white vinyl entire house, double pane windows and sliding door for $3600 including tax. The price also included hauling off everything to the dump. The door alone would have been about $1250. Looks good and works well. Tenants are happy.

In another rental , my handyman tenant offered to replace my old single paned 8 foot slider with a set of French doors. Usually I don't go for that - too many problems - but in a weak moment, I agreed - he got a good deal on the doors through his work. They look nice but open outwards and bang against a light fixture on the back patio. The glass is not tempered so now I have to pay an electrician to move the fixture. Also - there's a 2 inch step down when you open the door out - so I have visions of being sued when my tenant's grandma visits and breaks her leg. Pretty aint always practical when you're dealing with renters! Still the whole thing will cost about $800. I can live with that.

runchman said:
Somebody came and took my old one too, I forget if I sold it for a nominal amount or gave it away.

The funny thing was, the guy that took it was using old doors all over his house as windows, and while complaining about his girlfriend not liking it, somehow compared his 'genius idea' to that of mozart.

Sometimes people scare me :)

Unfortunately this sounds like me. And sometimes I scare me too. :)

Ha

I also bought an Anderson Slider at Home Depot for about $1100. It had the Sandtone powder coated exterior with unfinished wood on the interior.
I installed myself with no problems. I have no background in carpentry but can be considered fairly handy. I read the directions a few times and talked to a carpenter friend about what to beware of before starting.
The most crucial things IMHO are an accurate rough opening and weather-proofing.
I put together the frame on a flat surface, raised it into the rough opening and caulked and screwed with wild abandon (no jokes please).
Anderson's technical assistance Hotline was also excellent.

My contractor wanted $800 to install.

Anderson is a good manufacturer, they make several grades (product lines). My DH has spoken many times about the importance of proper flashing. He has spoken praises a couple of times about a double-sticky product.

bostonjoe has an important point... weatherproofing. Most DIYers don't go beyond the fit. The key elements are:

1. Get it to fit.
2. Make sure it doesn't leak (sideways rain is a bitch)
3. Lube and adjust the wheels for an easy glide.
4. Save the warrantee paperwork (damaged seals wreck everything).

Have fun. You'll probably do a better job than many installers.

bostonjoe said:
I also bought an Anderson Slider at Home Depot for about $1100. It had the Sandtone powder coated exterior with unfinished wood on the interior.
Anderson's technical assistance Hotline was also excellent.

Sounds like the exact same door I got. I finished the inside with clear lacquer (I have a spraygun).

I'm a fan of andersen, since after moving into our house we had an issue with wood rot on part of our 3 bedroom skylights (the mirrors on the ceiling are between them :) ). Called andersen, they said they had a manufacturing defect way back when, and they'd come out and replaced all 3 for no charge whatsoever, which they did. Now that's some customer service, the skylights were nearly 10 years old and we weren't the original owners. So I like Andersen.

- John

Back
Top Bottom