Join Early Retirement Today

PBS Frontline: The Middle Class and the New American Economy
Old 07-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

PBS Frontline: The Middle Class and the New American Economy

July 9, 2013 is the premier of a new PBS Frontline episode "The Middle Class and the New American Economy"

I'm curious to see the show and understand more about the two families that are chronicled over a 20+ year period. Bill Moyers narrated the show and was involved over the 20 year period. I saw Bill Moyers on the Charlie Rose show last night and Bill described how much of life is a lottery. I don't disagree but I feel strongly that how you (as an individual) respond to the variations of the lottery throughout your lifetime can have a dramatic impact on the outcome.

I think the show is on at 10:00 PM Eastern. I'm sure it will air again if you miss it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

cool. Added it to my tivo queue. (Love the ability to do that online.)
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
July 9, 2013 is the premier of a new PBS Frontline episode "The Middle Class and the New American Economy"

I'm curious to see the show and understand more about the two families that are chronicled over a 20+ year period. Bill Moyers narrated the show and was involved over the 20 year period. I saw Bill Moyers on the Charlie Rose show last night and Bill described how much of life is a lottery. I don't disagree but I feel strongly that how you (as an individual) respond to the variations of the lottery throughout your lifetime can have a dramatic impact on the outcome.

I think the show is on at 10:00 PM Eastern. I'm sure it will air again if you miss it.
Thanks for the reminder - I knew this was coming, but couldn't remember when.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
cool. Added it to my tivo queue. (Love the ability to do that online.)
Or even better - from my smartphone app.

Thanks for the heads up on the show
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like Frontline but not Moyers so I'm not sure if I'll watch it.
'

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My DVR has the marching orders - thanks!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I like Frontline but not Moyers so I'm not sure if I'll watch it.
My thoughts as well. I'll TiVo it, then after seeing what people say here, either erase or watch it.

I used to watch lots of PBS. Sadly, there is less and less I can stomach. I used to love Nova and Nature, but these days too many of these shows spend the last 5 minutes (or more!) on a sermonette concerning some perceived evil or another.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I have my DVR set to record it as well. Might be interesting to see actual footage of the two families from 1991 and intervals since to present, though it's pretty obvious how it plays out. Not a big Moyers fan (mostly handwringing-problems without offering viable solutions), if I don't think it's worthwhile, not afraid to hit delete. In the runup to this story, he asked a expert for a solution, and the guest said 'increase minimum wage to $15/hr...'

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I will likely watch, or at least record for later. Generally a fan boy of PBS; before cable, it was the only place I could catch history, science, etc. Other outlets for that now, but it's still a frequent landing spot in the wasteland of programming that is "television"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I will likely watch, or at least record for later. Generally a fan boy of PBS; before cable, it was the only place I could catch history, science, etc. Other outlets for that now, but it's still a frequent landing spot in the wasteland of programming that is "television"...
I'm surprised you were able to post that w/o the Zappa reference

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly
Bill described how much of life is a lottery. I don't disagree but I feel strongly that how you (as an individual) respond to the variations of the lottery throughout your lifetime can have a dramatic impact on the outcome.
I agree. There are certainly luck involved in life but there are also many choices that can lead to different outcomes.
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #12

TiVo? I will have to program my pre-Y2K VCR and watch on my CRT TV.
FF and my pea shooter take care Moyers or any others who excite my Elvis alter ego.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I'm surprised you were able to post that w/o the Zappa reference

-ERD50
Have issues posting youtube from my phone.

Feel free to link to "I am the slime"...

Old 07-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #14

45 minutes into this, I'm feeling like one very lucky duck. Yes, I've seen things both families have done that I wouldn't have (like sending your kid to an out-of-state college), but both have had more than their share of bad luck. We were always fortunate to have jobs that had benefits, which can be the difference between financial ruin or a $75 emergency room co-pay.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Television is a living thing. Witness the evolution of TLC from "The Learning Channel" to "The Loser Channel". From Paleoworld to Here Comes...I can't say it. Aargh!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

Television is a living thing. Witness the evolution of TLC from "The Learning Channel" to "The Loser Channel". From Paleoworld to Here Comes...I can't say it. Aargh!
+1000

Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I found it very interesting. For a minute there it looked like they weren't going to tell how all of the children ended up, which was one of the biggest things I was interested in. A lot of it hit really close to home for me.
Arifriekinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

While I found it interesting, I was not overly sympathetic. Both families made some bad choices which worsened their financial situations, and some of their children are making similarly bad choices to perpetuate their bad finances. Overall, I was not too impressed with the show. None of it hit home for me. If you don't end up watching it, you are not missing much.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay
45 minutes into this, I'm feeling like one very lucky duck. Yes, I've seen things both families have done that I wouldn't have (like sending your kid to an out-of-state college), but both have had more than their share of bad luck. We were always fortunate to have jobs that had benefits, which can be the difference between financial ruin or a $75 emergency room co-pay.
+1
I feel very fortunate. We worked very hard but I always felt like we were making progress unlike these folks.
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I found it incredibly sad. These were very dedicated family oriented salt of the earth people with the "right" work ethic. Yes these people made ~some~ bad choices, but who among us hasn't? I know there are things that we did that, with 20/20 hindsight, were stupid or wrong or not well thought out. But thankfully we never faced real financial hardship or ruin. Some of that is just pure luck, or bad luck for some.

I find it scary for my ds & dil (both college grads) and my 3 grandchildren. Falling into poverty is just hairs breath away, even tho they live on a very careful budget. I came from poverty, but I never feared it as a possibility. Losing our middle class affects us all in a negative way.

Every step of the journey is the journey.
Bram is offline   Reply With Quote