Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC
I managed to forget to look for a label on cute Whit's, ahem, equipment. Next time, next time.
Next time out, during a break, just go up to him and tell him you really like his axe (you won't be lying). Then ask him what kind of steel he has.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
p.s. I know the Maverick. The "Bud" stands for Buddy Emmons (you probably know that)
I don't remember if I knew that or not. If I did know it, I have since forgotten that fact.

There were actually two different versions of the Maverick, if I'm not mistaken. I believe one was more of a blonde color while the newer version was simply a dark brown vinyl-like covering made to look like wood and the strings were not on a raised bed. (Not sure what the correct terminology is.)
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman

Next time out, during a break, just go up to him and tell him you really like his axe (you won't be lying). Then ask him what kind of steel he has.
Ok this is why you will have to go with me to their next show! So I can ogle peacefully while you ask the important questions.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauAnn

I don't remember if I knew that or not. If I did know it, I have since forgotten that fact.

There were actually two different versions of the Maverick, if I'm not mistaken. I believe one was more of a blonde color while the newer version was simply a dark brown vinyl-like covering made to look like wood and the strings were not on a raised bed. (Not sure what the correct terminology is.)
Yes, it was a company formed with Shot Jackson ("Sho"). Later the Emmons guitar company came into existence and made some great steels (there's one on the first post in this thread).

I think you're right about the Mavericks - I had one of the blonde ones and they are great for beginners. It's hard enough wrestling with picking 10+ strings, foot pedals, knee levers, and a volume pedal! That's why steelers always look like they are in a trance

Old 09-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC

Ok this is why you will have to go with me to their next show! So I can ogle peacefully while you ask the important questions.
That would make me an accomplice to a deviant act!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think you're right about the Mavericks - I had one of the blonde ones and they are great for beginners. It's hard enough wrestling with picking 10+ strings, foot pedals, knee levers, and a volume pedal! That's why steelers always look like they are in a trance
This might well be why my friends and I are so enchanted with what little pedal steel we've gotten to see. While everyone else is leaping and shouting on stage, the pedal steel guy is studiously looking down to play, only rarely looking up and around to see what all the fuss is all about. No showboating on that instrument for sure!

And you'd be safe going to a show with us--us old married ladies won't pull any cougar stunts!

Route 66
Old 09-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Route 66

Here's a rendition of the tune "Route 66" (of which I think the most popular version was done by Nat "King" Cole), done by a great player, Herby Wallace, who unfortunately died earlier this year. He always made me shake my head in admiration! If you care to listen to this, make sure you have good speakers (not the built-in ones). Herby's playing a Mullen guitar.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

When I first heard this, I had no idea what a pedal steel was, but as I listened my ears pricked up and I wondered, "what in the world is THAT instrument". I was hooked. The player is Dan Dugmore, and while his solo is short, it's sure sweet, soulful and perfect for this Roy Orbison tune.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Here's another one from the late 70s, this time Emmylou Harris and The Hot Band playing in the UK. This is the opening tune from her second album Elite Hotel.

The steel player is Hank DeVito (on an Emmons) and he's paired for the twin guitar/steel lead-in lick with James Burton, who is probably best known for being Elvis' guitar player. Burton also played with guys like Jerry Lee Lewis, Ricky Nelson, John Denver, and many others. He is known as the king of "chicken pickin", which he subtly does throughout this performance.

Also notable is Rodney Crowell - the leftmost singer, with the darker hair - who co-wrote the tune and is a great singer-songwriter in his own right ("Leaving Louisiana In Broad Daylight", "Ain't Livin' Long Like This", "Stars On The Water", etc.).

Finally, Emmylou, besides being cuter than cute, has a voice that just soars

Old 09-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Here's some steel guitar outside the country / bluegrass realm..
In Bluegrass, it's more likely (or should be*) a Dobro, or possibly a resonator (or resophonic) guitar, e.g. National, Republic (Dobros differ from other resonator guitars - Difference Between a Dobro & a Resonator Guitar | eHow.com). Lap & pedal steel guitars are essentially electric, while Dobros & resonators are acoustic. Dobros/resonator guitars can also be, and sometimes are, played held like a regular acoustic guitar.

Google: difference between steel and resonator

*in the opinions of some Bluegrass snobs. Other Bluegrass snobs insist that even a Dobro isn't "traditional" or "real" Bluegrass. I've seen arguments about that get as hot as p*litics or religi*n...

Tyro
Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

See, Tyro, this is why I'm suspicious that bluegrass folks don't drink enough! They get all up the air about stuff like this, when all us audience members want to see up there are hot musicians who can play! And that usually look/sound better after a 6-pack.

I do love some Emmylou--that is a great song, and one I've never heard. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
See, Tyro, this is why I'm suspicious that bluegrass folks don't drink enough! They get all up the air about stuff like this, when all us audience members want to see up there are hot musicians who can play! And that usually look/sound better after a 6-pack.

I do love some Emmylou--that is a great song, and one I've never heard. Thanks!
Who says?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

LOL-HFWR, I was transferring some stuff to a new computer at home and made sure some of those John Hartford and Goose Creek Symphony gems from you got transferred over and also added to my "big mix" that now plays on the home stereo all the time.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
LOL-HFWR, I was transferring some stuff to a new computer at home and made sure some of those John Hartford and Goose Creek Symphony gems from you got transferred over and also added to my "big mix" that now plays on the home stereo all the time.
Always happy to help corrupt the youngins...

Old 09-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Who says?
+1 I didn't say those were MY opinions. I played (such as it wasn't) with anybody. Speaking of Granny... at a keg party in the late '70s, I met a woman in her 70s who could have been the model for Mammy Yokum - corncob pipe and all. At the time, she was known for owning more Rolls Royces than any other woman in the world with the exception of the Queen. Someone passed her a pipe, and after a taste, she remarked, "Why I haven't tasted this since they made it illegal"* and took another before passing it along... Truly one of the most interesting people I have ever met.

*We assumed 1937.
Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I've been trying to post only live performances, but HFWR's message with John Hartford made me think of this one, which is a track off a CD. But it's set against a nice montage of photos that give a little peek into Hartford's world. Plus, while there are plenty of versions of this out there, this is the only one I know of that features the steel (that's what this thread is about, after all!).

In the late 90's, I happened to be able to attend a week's worth of sessions where Hartford was recording his (then) new CD, and one afternoon we went to his bus and chatted about music - he couldn't have been more funny, gracious, and interesting. I remember he walked around with a little stack of blank index cards on which he jotted down lines that he heard or that came to him and may be a future lyric in a song. Well, I remember more than that, but this is a public forum

This is a version of Hartford's song "Gentle On My Mind" that appears on his album All In The Name Of Love with a stellar lineup of bluegrass players: Benny Martin on violin, Hartford on banjo, Sam Bush on mandolin, Pig Robbins on piano, and bringing it all home is Buddy Emmons on pedal steel with an amazing single-note (almost jazz) solo.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Here's an early autumn dose of Dire Steel for you. I probably don't need to tell anyone who the singer or what the song is, but you might not know who the guy sitting in on the steel is. That's Paul Franklin and he's playing (naturally) a Franklin guitar - a company started by his father, Paul Franklin Sr.

Might want to clear out a little space in your living room for this one, especially if you follow Bob Dylan's advice: Play It Loud.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:10 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

suprised no-one's posted BJ Cole Yet. So here's one from him. An Impromptu rendition of Claire de lune..

mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh
suprised no-one's posted BJ Cole Yet. So here's one from him. An Impromptu rendition of Claire de lune..

Beautiful.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Beautiful.
People with talent disgust me...

Great sound and great recording as well. I see an old tweed-style amp in the background.