Pedal Steel Guitar

steelyman

Moderator Emeritus
This thread's in response to a post by Sarah in SC who likes pedal steel guitar.

This is not me, but instead someone considered to be the world's foremost steel guitarist: Buddy Emmons - The Big E From Tennessee. Here he's playing with Ray Price's band, the Cherokee Cowboys. The thing to notice here is how little he moves the bar (the "steel") and still makes it happen.

One advantage of living in the Midwest is that every Labor Day, there is an event called The International Steel Guitar Convention held in St. Louis. Great time and good music!

Cherokee Cowboys - I Love You Because - YouTube

Last edited:
Oh heck yeah, fantastic! There is just something magical about it. Thanks. Ok I will try to find some video of my guy I like so much. May have to shoot it myself when we see them in a few weeks at a music festival.

Oh heck yeah, fantastic! There is just something magical about it. Thanks. Ok I will try to find some video of my guy I like so much. May have to shoot it myself when we see them in a few weeks at a music festival.

Here's some steel guitar outside the country / bluegrass realm..

Hendrix cover ..

Little Wing Lap Steel Larry Hutcherson - YouTube

And atmospheric stuff using the moog lap steel guitar which is an interesting take on the venerable lap steel..

Moog Lap Steel Explorations Part 3 - YouTube

Last edited:
mh - Thanks, I really liked the Hendrix on pedal steel. I like the traditional steel also, but that connected to some other interesting steel videos:

!

That's the Led Zep bass player on steel.

-ERD50

Excellent, mh and ERD50! Maybe we're getting us an E-R steel convention with these posts :D

Sarah in SC said:

I checked out your Raleigh band's website, which has a few videos (nice!). Can't be 100% sure, but your guy may be playing an Emmons steel ;)

Enjoy the festival and report back!

Steely, when I see them at the end of the month, I will dutifully try to avert my eyes from the handsomeness of them in order to pay more attention to their, um, instruments.

Sarah in SC said:
Steely, when I see them at the end of the month, I will dutifully try to avert my eyes from the handsomeness of them in order to pay more attention to their, um, instruments.

Just look at the little logo on the left side of it - no, not that far down ;)

Okay steely, as I was admiring the fine mustache featured in another band at the festival, I remembered you wanted to see pictures of Whit playing with American Aquarium.
Here are a couple of him, plus another great band we'd never heard of, the Floorboards, and the awesome guy we saw playing this--showing my ignorance, but maybe Dobro?

Attachments

• DSCF4786.JPG
    DSCF4786.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF4784.JPG
    DSCF4784.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF4792.JPG
    DSCF4792.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC09436.jpg
    DSC09436.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 17
Nice shots, Sarah - it looks like a great time! Sadly, I can't tell from these angles what brand of pedal steel it is. As for the last photo, that's hard to tell as well. Maybe a lap steel?

This isn't really a steel guitar song (it's western swing), but I just found it and think it's great for ER. "This old money making's taking all the time I have to play". The band is Asleep At The Wheel and the singer is Ray Benson, who I remember reading in liner notes has "a Pearl Beer face and a fine cognac voice" :D Hope it makes someone smile out there.

Asleep at the Wheel - Way Down Texas Way - YouTube

Hard to paste the links on a phone...

Jerry Garcia did the steel parts on "Teach Your Children" and "Panama Red".

David Gilmour played steel on "One of These Days" from Meddle, "Breathe" from Dark Side of the Moon, and "Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Pt. 2" from Wish You Were Here, among others.

A newer face on steel is Robert Randolph.

Last edited:
Hard to paste the links on a phone...

Jerry Garcia did the steel parts on "Teach Your Children" and "Panama Red".

David Gilmour played steel on "One of These Days" from Meddle, "Breathe" from Dark Side of the Moon, and "Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Pt. 2" from Wish You Were Here, among others.

A newer face on steel is Robert Randolph.

I had never heard of Robert Randolph. Wow - that guy is wild! And who can argue with that hat? Thanks, here's a link I found, guess I should watch Letterman a little more :D

Robert Randolph And The Family Band-I Need More Love-Live On - YouTube

A few more: Sneaky Pete Kleinow, David Lindley, and Junior Brown...

Gosh, I'd love to be able to play at 10% of what these guys can do. I sold my ShoBud Maverick years ago and upgraded to a beautiful blue (with mother of pearl inlay) single neck made by Herb Remington. I'm a 'closet-player', never sat in with a band but my Mom (on regular guitar) and I would often play together. In fact it was she who got me started on a 6-string Hawaian guitar when I was around 16 years old. I rarely play anymore, but plan to resume once I ER.

LauAnn said:
Gosh, I'd love to be able to play at 10% of what these guys can do. I sold my ShoBud Maverick years ago and upgraded to a beautiful blue (with mother of pearl inlay) single neck made by Herb Remington. I'm a 'closet-player', never sat in with a band but my Mom (on regular guitar) and I would often play together. In fact it was she who got me started on a 6-string Hawaian guitar when I was around 16 years old. I rarely play anymore, but plan to resume once I ER.

Hey, closet players are still players! It'll be fun to pick it up again :cool:

Last edited:
LauAnn said:
I sold my ShoBud Maverick years ago and upgraded to a beautiful blue (with mother of pearl inlay) single neck made by Herb Remington.

p.s. I know the Maverick. The "Bud" stands for Buddy Emmons :cool: (you probably know that)

Last edited:
Went to see the boys in American Aquarium again last night and Whit is still just awesome on steel guitar. Man, those kids just pour it into their music! If only I had that kind of enthusiasm for my work! Great show and again, I managed to forget to look for a label on cute Whit's, ahem, equipment. Next time, next time. ;)

Sarah in SC said:
Went to see the boys in American Aquarium again last night and Whit is still just awesome on steel guitar. Man, those kids just pour it into their music! If only I had that kind of enthusiasm for my work! Great show and again, I managed to forget to look for a label on cute Whit's, ahem, equipment. Next time, next time. ;)

Wrong equipment!

Sarah in SC said:
I managed to forget to look for a label on cute Whit's, ahem, equipment. Next time, next time. ;)

Next time out, during a break, just go up to him and tell him you really like his axe (you won't be lying). Then ask him what kind of steel he has.

p.s. I know the Maverick. The "Bud" stands for Buddy Emmons :cool: (you probably know that)

I don't remember if I knew that or not. If I did know it, I have since forgotten that fact.

There were actually two different versions of the Maverick, if I'm not mistaken. I believe one was more of a blonde color while the newer version was simply a dark brown vinyl-like covering made to look like wood and the strings were not on a raised bed. (Not sure what the correct terminology is.)

steelyman said:
Next time out, during a break, just go up to him and tell him you really like his axe (you won't be lying). Then ask him what kind of steel he has.

Ok this is why you will have to go with me to their next show! So I can ogle peacefully while you ask the important questions. :)

LauAnn said:
I don't remember if I knew that or not. If I did know it, I have since forgotten that fact.

There were actually two different versions of the Maverick, if I'm not mistaken. I believe one was more of a blonde color while the newer version was simply a dark brown vinyl-like covering made to look like wood and the strings were not on a raised bed. (Not sure what the correct terminology is.)

Yes, it was a company formed with Shot Jackson ("Sho"). Later the Emmons guitar company came into existence and made some great steels (there's one on the first post in this thread).

I think you're right about the Mavericks - I had one of the blonde ones and they are great for beginners. It's hard enough wrestling with picking 10+ strings, foot pedals, knee levers, and a volume pedal! That's why steelers always look like they are in a trance :D

Sarah in SC said:
Ok this is why you will have to go with me to their next show! So I can ogle peacefully while you ask the important questions. :)

That would make me an accomplice to a deviant act!

Back
Top Bottom