Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not everyone is leaving California.......just the people that own companies, create jobs and pay a lot of taxes. California is beautiful but expensive. Housing costs, taxes, sales taxes, food, just about everything except fresh produce is more in California. It's a shame but on the other hand, California is crowded......it can't be all bad if so many people still live there. Me? Can't afford it.....but I don't live in Texas either..wish i did.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Property costs are modest.
While California charges more upfront, Texas gets you on the annual fees.

Florida had a mass exodus about 7 years ago (hurricane and hurricane insurance playing a part). Texas had a mass exodus in the late 80s (oil crash) and Houston real estate took over a decade to recover.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
After all the taxpayers leave California, who will be left to pay the entitled.
This is an interesting question. I think that the slaves are those who or whose spouses have become accustomed to an expensive lifestyle, but have not accumulated the capital to move to Nevada. They need those LA or Bay Area salaries. Nevertheless, I'd say that property in Nevada near Lake Tahoe is not likely to go down anytime soon.

Luxury condos on the strip or upscale gated communities in Las Vegas or the western LV exurbs should be OK too. One question I have is how long can Nevada remain free of an income tax? Macau is stealing some of their heavy artillery.

Ha
Old 12-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #24

No one I hope.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #25

We've received online applications from people in CA to work at our workplace, interviewed them on the phone, hired them and they moved from CA for a job that pays average. They said they couldn't afford the apartments or homes anymore. One bought a home over the Internet here for $110,000 before she arrived and was thrilled. We were shocked the first time one actually showed up.

We also hired a maintenance man from Detroit three years ago, because he couldn't find work after being laid off of a twenty year job.

I don't know if its a trend, but I've personally observed it. I live in Texas, btw.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
One bought a home over the Internet here for $110,000 before she arrived and was thrilled.
I know 100k is not even a downpayment here in ca, but to buy a house over the internet
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Guy who worked for me transferred from San Jose CA to our office in Austin TX.

For what he was paying for a one bedroom apartment, he was able to buy a 2500 sf home in TX. What he saved in CA income tax covered his property tax.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post

I know 100k is not even a downpayment here in ca, but to buy a house over the internet
Yes, she actually bought a home in a nearby neighborhood. It had been for sale for awhile, and she had saved quite a bit, but still couldn't afford a home in southern CA. She had the inspection done and lots of photos sent to her. It is a 2300 sq ft home and she was able to pay cash. She has a disabled adult son living with her and they were thrilled to have a home, instead of an apartment finally. I think they are very happy here.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Guy who worked for me transferred from San Jose CA to our office in Austin TX.

For what he was paying for a one bedroom apartment, he was able to buy a 2500 sf home in TX. What he saved in CA income tax covered his property tax.
I worked with a guy many years ago who was (job promotion) transferred from San Jose CA to Jackson MS. He had a small 2 bedroom house in San Jose, that he'd bought very well, so it appreciated like wildfire - while Silicon Valley was establishing itself as a center of tech. He had to literally buy what was once a plantation in Jackson to avoid the (then) capital gains tax that would have resulted from pocketing his gains. He was single, rattling around a huge house/property...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote